Spooking smart phone listening/tracking

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, May 25, 2019.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I started a thread about a year ago regarding my wife's phone obviously listening to her conversations. The short of it was that it would offer her unsolicited directions to places that she had talked about in a phone conversation earlier in the day.

I turned "Her Siri" off... and that sort of helped, but weird stuff would still happen from time to time.

Just now, we were standing in our front yard talking to the neighbors about... of all things... sausage. My wife names the brand and style of sausage that we've been eating a lot of lately - Aidells Pineapple & Bacon chicken sausage. (If you have not tried it... wow is it good stuff.)

About 10 minutes later we're back in the house. She takes her phone out of her pocket and opens Facebook. She exclaimed, "Oh my... this is freaky," and turned her phone around to show me the first thing popped up... an advertisement with the following picture:

SmokedChickenSausage PineappleBacon_WoodBackground_800x600.jpg

2. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Cue the music from "Twilight Zone".

3. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

I’ve suspected that for awhile now. I’m not really happy about it either.

4. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

that is creepy as hell. glad I don't have a cellphone.

Greggorios, Obsessed and TheGoodTexan like this.
  5. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

My wife has noticed this with her phone for at least two years. At first we chalked it up to coincidence, but it went of for too long, and with too much specificity to be coincidence. Not only did it cause specific ads to pop up, but it also came up when using a search engine. We'd be discussing something (we discuss some fairly arcane and esoteric subjects) and she'd go to look something up related to the conversation, it would only take one or two letters and it will auto-populate the search bar with specific terms from what we were discussing.

We live in a surveillance society now. That's how it is. Don't like it, but it's the reality we live in. I just do what I can to minimize my being a subject of it.

6. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

This is common when you allow certain apps to access your microphone. It can be changed in the app's settings. Easy fix.

What would be spookier is if you were an automated bot trying to sell sausages on a forum.

-do-do-do-do-

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Greggorios and TheGoodTexan like this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I disable the internet on my phones when I get them. My next phone will have real buttons and no touch screen.

Greggorios, PigBoy and TheGoodTexan like this.
  8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I was speaking to my wife about going by "Franks" on my way into work to get status on some machined parts we need. Frank owns XYZ Machine and I never mentioned XYZ Machine. I get in my car and my phone informs me that it is 18 minutes to XYZ Machine and suggest an alternate route..... AI will have humanity by the short hairs if it decides we are no longer required, just sayin'.... This happened two weeks ago.

9. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

A while back when we had ads running down the right side of the screen, I was talking to someone here about a guitar and before we were done conversing, every ad slot was filled with ads for this guitar.
    I don’t know how it’s done, but it’s kinda creepy knowing that you’re being monitored constantly for sales opportunities.

10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

If you have something like Siri on or ever once given Facebook, Google Chrome or Maps, Twitter or whatever access to the mic.. Yes.

The voice responsive features have to be constantly listening for trigger phrases or words, any useful non trigger words are still captured and can be processed by a range of apps with mic access that have permission. Cross site cookies make sure you can say something in one place to see the results appears in another place.

Greggorios, TheGoodTexan and Flyboy like this.
  11. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Meister

Yes. It's important to turn mic access off for as many apps as possible. I have always used Samsung smart 'phones and have for the past few years turned off Google mic access (Google Assistant seemed to be always listening) and now have the hated Bixby disabled as well.

12. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

There have been a TON of cases of those settings being purely placebo. Just about every app that collects any form of data has been outed as continuing to collect after those settings were turned off. Same deal with location information. I don't like to have my tinfoil hat on, but sometimes I gotta.

13. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

This is our experience.

I’ve checked my wife’s phone for these types of setting for well over a year now. Everything that doesn’t need to be on, is off. And I even turned a bunch of apps off for cellular operation... so they’re set for WiFi only, meaning that they shouldn’t operate while she’s driving.

Yet these odd ball things continue to happen.

Chunkocaster and Greggorios like this.
  14. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Big brother is watching all the time....don't get a smart TV, it gets even more weird!

15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I heard a news report on why the US was hesitant to allow the gen5 phones to be imported and a lot of it had to do with ‘active monitoring’.

16. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

This kind of technology requires that we eliminate the human tendency towards evil, and I fear we're not there yet.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i dont have any social media or forums i use linked on my phone...my phone is used as a phone and mp3 player...gps also which ties in to maps...or ill do a search...youtube is there but i hardly watch it on my phone...its all tied to google...which i dont like...but it is what it is

18. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Google takes, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" to a whole new level.

19. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

There should be a physical off switch for cameras and mikes. As for Smart TVs I just got one. I ll be removing the mike and camera if there is one since they aren t needed. It ll be just a computer video monitor.

20. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Everyone should enable all the voice, tracking etc and overload the system by placing phones, smart tv's, tablets etc next to 24/7 reruns of 70's sitcoms with lots of non pc content and old outdated advertising campaigns.:twisted:

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    fnkmstr and SecretSquirrel like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.