Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Spice it up in the Cafe..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarteach, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    ok.. I like my hot food and grow my own chillis..

But I only have around 4 go to dishes I regularly make.. Beef Chilli, a hot beef soup/ramen, assorted indian curries and this Thai like concoction with a whole habanero in the sauce - (so sorry to the bandmates tonight if I get a bit trippy)

I need inspiration... so if you have something spicy to share (food related only), please do.

This one... beef strips, carrot and celery julienned

Sauce... Soy, Garlic, Mango, Hot Fresh chilli, sprinkle of 5 spice

add noodles at end.

Attached Files:

Dan R, Flaneur, studio1087 and 2 others like this.

2. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    I pick a jalapeno from my garden for every meal I eat at home, when they are growing. They are anywhere from mild to rip your head off ... don't know until the first bite.

I order my Thai food at a 5 ... most times that is only mildly spicy.

I don't want to kill myself, I just want some heat.

I like spicy food ... and beer. :D

I did eat the Scalding Pig at Torchy's tacos, which is suppose to have ghost chili on it. It was not too hot to eat, but it was not comfortable. It also gave me a bit of an upset stomach later, for a bit. I'll probably do their Torture by Taco in August again, for fun. But I don't really need my food that hot.

The Scalding Pig is on the right, and my goto, the Brushfire (Jerk Chicken) is on the left. (Level 4 - The Scalding Pig: Pasilla & ghost pepper stewed pork with escabeche, jack cheese, cilantro, sour cream, & chicharron pieces. Served on a flour tortilla with a "dare-to-go-there" dropper.)
    [​IMG]

This is called, too lazy to go the grocery store, but wanted nachos. The cupboards were nigh bare. Had to toast flour tortillas. The home grown pepper really makes almost anything good.
    [​IMG]

A more standard meal, is what I call "Fancy Ms Paul's fish sticks", which are frozen parmesan tilapia, some steamed veggie (I can cook, but anymore almost always go frozen ... saves time). This time with tomatoes and a pepper from the garden.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    dkmw likes this.

3. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    Jerk chicken/beef/pork

Make your own harissa paste for North African dishes.

Hungry now.

rcole_sooner likes this.

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    The whole habanero was.... unwise.

The ice cream is helping... a bit

5. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    I can grow chiles year-round. I used to grow many varieties, down to just jalapeños and datil now (datil is a Caribbean variety similar to habanero or Scotch bonnet, but with a fruity tast in addition to the major heat).

I’d say the first thing you need to do is explore Mexican cuisine; there’s a zillion uses for chiles right there.

rcole_sooner likes this.

6. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2003
    Canada
    I usually say the spicier the better. I can eat stuff high on the Scoville scale. Heck after several beers, I would probably try those ones that require signing a waiver. (and go wandering through the desert Homer Simpson style)
    Lately I've been backing off. I don't have anything to prove and would rather not blast my taste buds out and just enjoy a dessert instead.

OK, I'm tired and too lazy to check. Did I mix "desert" and "dessert" again?

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I make a spicy chicken and sausage soup that uses kielbasa and red pepper sauce that can get as hot as you want very easily. Sometimes I get a bit carried away with too much spice for Mrs. Obsessed.:oops:

Also a Cajun jambalaya was my lastest kick during this past winter that was spawned from a thread here. Cayenne pepper being the hot ingredient.

8. Undone

Undone TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2018
    Virginia
    So hungry now. .lol

9. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    IMG_20180528_161815.jpg

My standby is slow grilled wings, hot for me, seasoned for the Mrs. Never get the grill over 250, direct heat, I use Louisiana Hot Sauce mixed with some locally made habanero seasoning (my own concoction with dried peppers from the garden mixed with other stuff).
    Goes good with beer, all kinds of beer:)

Dan R and rcole_sooner like this.

10. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2018
    Savannah GA
    I do like making these -

Peppers.jpg Peppers2.jpg Peppers3.jpg

And if I'm feeling frisky I might add a dab of this o_O
    LastDab2.jpg

Dan R, studio1087, dkmw and 4 others like this.

11. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2015
    Virginia
    We grow lots of peppers. Those we don’t cook with are made into pepper jelly, both Thai and Peruvian lemon drop. We also dry and flash freeze peppers for later use.

Quick Thai sauce for stir fry.
    2 tbs each fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce and sugar. Also add fried garlic and fried shallots if you have them. Add peppers and garlic as needed to protein and veggies. Finish with Thai basil.

Enjoy.

12. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2016
    TX
    I love the brushfire too! A little on the hot side for me but I bear it because it is hands down the tastiest taco I have ever had anywhere.

rcole_sooner likes this.

13. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    MattyK-USA likes this.

14. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2018
    Savannah GA
    I had them one time, and I was hooked. My wife loves them too. We have them, I'd say once every couple of weeks. The process really mellows out the peppers. That's why I sometimes lose my better judgement and add a little fire back to the food :)

drf64 likes this.

15. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    Growing your own is excellent! Turning them into a hot sauce could benefit any number of dishes.

16. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    When your Thai food's not hot enough, add some of this.

Chillies in fish sauce (via David Thompson)

Fish sauce - 4 tbsp

Bird's eye chillies - 10-15, finely sliced - try to get a combination of red and green ones

Garlic cloves (optional but desirable) - 2, finely sliced

Lime juice - 1 tbsp

Chopped coriander (cilantro) - a good pinch

Combine all this in a monkey bowl. If it gets low or evaporates, or if just want to adjust the flavours, top up with water or fish sauce.

Keep away from children.​

17. notmyusualuserid

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    I've got David Thomson's 'Thai Food'. Which I recommend unreservedly.

Some of the ingredients are a bit hard to come by in the UK, but he doesn't pull any punches when it comes to heat :)

18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Indian-style 'butter chicken' has become popular around here, only half the family likes spicy so it's made mild and we also only use half the butter the recipe calls for (which calls for a half a stick of butter per pound of chicken) -- it tastes great but that's why it's called Butter Chicken.

19. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    That noodle recipe works great with liver, too......

20. notmyusualuserid

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    Butter chicken is so called because it has a creamy sauce, not because it has huge amounts of butter. It's not supposed to be hot or highly spiced.

My favourite recipe.

https://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=10189

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.