Special Edition Ash Tele on sale right now

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, May 21, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Just a heads up for anyone who might be shopping.

Heck of a deal ($550, free shipping) for a really nice Tele:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...h-telecaster?source=3TP9ELC&mscr=2142380_8048

When the Aged Cherry Burst finish version of this guitar was on sale for $550, I bought one sight unseen from the website. When it arrived, I was quite pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. Absolutely love it.

I did put some Cavalier pickups in it, because I like the extra sparkle they have, and my preferred switch. ;)

[​IMG]

brookdalebill and Chunkocaster like this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Lester style switch too. Nice. Which Cavs did you use?

DHart likes this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I am still in love with my BSB FSR tele that I bought years ago, but dang, everytime I see your tele @DHart , I get a little hint of GAS. You can post that pic as often as you want. The best looking cherry burst of any model guitar.that I have ever seen.

DHart likes this.
  4. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

I was just thinking about putting a stitch in my tele like that. where did you source the plate? or is it stock?

also, killer tele.

DHart likes this.
  5. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Thanks, Obsessed... I feel the same way about that finish. When I first pulled the guitar out of the box at GC, I was stunned by how beautiful it looked - and felt - flawless finish. There was no way I was going to decline receiving this one. The neck pickup was not as bright as I like, so of course I did my 'usual' pickup mod. And the switch, too. The black guard was also my own change.

Recently, I wanted to use the neck from the Special Edition Ash Tele on my Blacktop HH Tele (as I was using the Blacktop's neck on another FSE Tele body), so I bought a new neck for the FSR Aged Cherry Burst... it now has a 2018 Fender American Special Maple neck on it:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  6. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

xgritzx... the switch is a Switchcraft short toggle switch. The control plate is one of about ten that I have bought from Marc Rutters.

http://ruttersguitars.com/toggle-control-plate

The switch is the one aspect of the standard Tele that I like the least. This toggle switch makes changing pickups a breeze.

7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure if most (or all) ash-bodied Teles tend toward being brighter-toned than alder bodied Teles, but my two Fender ash bodies are both noticeably brighter sounding than the many alder-bodied Fenders that I have.

I had a Tele pickup that was pretty dark sounding in one of my alder Teles (which happens to be a pretty dark-sounding Tele), so I decided to try that pickup in this Ash FSR - result - the pickup was much brighter sounding than when it was in the alder-bodied Tele. A given pickup can sound quite different when moved from one guitar to another.

I don't want to turn this thread into a tone-wood debate, but I am a believer that the wood itself plays a noticeable role in how bright or dark-toned a guitar tends to be. And in my experience, my ash Fenders are brighter than my alder Fenders.

8. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

ETL... Lion King and Nashville Lion, which are well-suited to this very bright-toned body.

In darker-toned bodies, I like going with a slightly underwound Lion King with 42 AWG wire. Rob has recently made that a "standard" offering and calls it The Wolf - about 6.7k DCR and it's a bit brighter than the Lion King. Without cover, it's slightly brighter still and Rob has named that the She Wolf.

And, while I do like the Nashville Lion, I think my favorite Cav bridge pickups are the Bakersfield and the 51/52 - because I prefer very clean, wide-range, sparkly. With the higher output pickups, you lose some lows, lose some highs, and get more pronounced mids - fine for some folks, I think, but not my thing.

9. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

now if they had it in burst like yours, I would have pulled the trigger

DHart likes this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That's a great looking tele, nice burst and the grain looks impressive too.
    A great deal for that price.

DHart likes this.
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

DHart likes this.
  12. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

This is the aged cherry burst one I bought a few months ago on DHart's recommendation. It's the one that got me started on my latest Tele kick! I Esquired it using a BG1400 pickup and reverse Eldred wiring, and, most recently, put the real gator hide pickguard on it. It was a great guitar right out of the box, but now I love it even more!

Attached Files:

DHart likes this.
  13. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Hey CHarg! Looking good. I'm glad that I was able to 'assist' in the start on your latest "Tele kick." :)

I can't believe I ignored Teles for as long as I did (decades). I loved Strats, but never even gave the Tele a chance until about six years ago. Now, of course, they've multiplied to a dozen Teles (and just four Strats). Sheesh! :lol:

Teles are SO AWESOME! :D

CHarg likes this.
  14. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

I bought the BSB version used in like new condition and thought it was the greatest. It inspired me to get an AV ‘52. I’ve seen Paris. Not going back to the farm. The SE is still very nice and mine is currently in Esquire garb. Thinking seriously about selling as it’s not nearly as satisfying to play.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

And the aged cherry burst looks like a "gentleman's guitar". Imagine the surprise of the listener when the BG 1400 kicks in!! Raucous!

CHarg and DHart like this.
  16. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

That aged cherry burst really is a "ringer"! The really funny thing is, these days when I step on stage to sit in with younger friends at local bar, people tell me that I look like a college professor. Little do they know that, back in the day (1980 or so)...

Raucous indeed!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    boris bubbanov, DHart and Jimmy Owen like this.
  17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

DHart likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.