Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Speaking of Australia/best cities...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I have a buddy down in Charlotte NC who as we speak is in Melbun (pronunciation ?) on an exploratory trip with his family.

What are they exploring ?

Whether they want to accept the transfer/huge raise that his wife’s tire company is offering them.

I says to him “Jimbo - seriously, do you think it’s gonna suck ? “

Anyways , they’re definitely going to move there and they get a shipping container or two to pack whatever they want in there .

He has it in his head to bring good quality gear that’s easily obtainable here and sell it there , since he’s always heard that the most basic PRRI or MIA Strat is astronomically expensive there .

I told him - wha ?

Any thoughts ?

2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC

3. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    Thoughts:

What does Jimbo do? Is it something he can do in Australia, or will be just have a sugar mama? If it's the latter is he good at something else to earn that?

Is he at all perturbed about leaving NASCAR behind?

shipping gear to sell down under is a terrible idea. Those shipping containers will reach 150 degrees and ruin his profits.

Jimbo is getting the opportunity of a lifetime and he's worried about gear? I'd happily sell all my guitars to live there, and I'd save up for a Maton or 2 once I got there.

4. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    Guitars and amps made in the US will be more expensive in Australia but whether it would be worth investing in shipping a container load of gear is doubtful. Lots of effort for not much profit.

5. jazzereh

jazzereh Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2014
    Ottawa, Canada
    I love Australia. Only visited twice with my wife but we'd go back in a flash. Melbourne is a great part of the country. Lucky folks, your friends!

6. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Shipping containers are free. His move is paid for by his wife’s company.

He’s trying to save up for a National . He figured if he could sell maybe a dozen items it could help with the reso.

I told him to find an old one that needs work (it’s a buyers market) before they move and to have someone fix it once they get established.

7. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    As an Aussie , I’d say your friend should do his homework. Turning up here with a container of guitars that we already have loads of, especially on the used market. Considering shipping , gear is at a reasonable cost locally. As said in earlier post , it’s a lot of effort for the likely return. Heads up we run 240 v power so don’t bring amps!
    I reckon he’d be better off putting a fastback 60s mustang in a container and flip it here.

Dennyf likes this.

8. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    What Shango66 said.............also shipping containers can fall off ships as happened recently.

DC

Shango66 likes this.

9. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Old weird American guitars from the 50’s , 60’s, 70’s ?

10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

a collectible car would be better...Ford/Chevy..... and only one item to move....

plenty of guitars and stuff down here for general sale..... unless you can bring a few cheaply sourced avri 52's maybe....
    or Gibsons as they will be safer in a container than in the post....:twisted:

Shango66 likes this.

11. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    I doubt it, they only appeal to a small community ...usually w no coin....!
    muscle cars and their spare parts is where I’d be looking.
    But commercial quantities of anything could get slugged on arrival.

If she’s making the big bucks Jimbo could ask his mrs for a National as a moving abroad present. Buy one in the USA and walk it in.

Nightclub Dwight and suthol like this.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    They do like their muscle cars down under: IMG_3050.JPG

13. suthol

suthol Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    There could be major issues and surprises, they could bring one car each though but they must be registered in the name of the person bringing it in ( see note below ).

First up, as a personal import you must own it for a minimum of 12 months and actually be in the country with it for that period, take off OS for a month holiday and that is added to the 12 months.

Must not contain asbestos, brake pads, clutch plate etc and must be clinically clean.

Definitely worth considering but definitely not to be entered into blindly, I have a few mates who have been stung.

trev333 likes this.

14. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2015
    ca
    i m an aussie that lives in the usa... i ve sent a few guitars back... it ain t no get rich quick scheme...

agree with suthol about cars as well... if it was that easy everyone would be on it...

the oz govt WILL get their share (and more)

15. trev333

enjoy the fact that your US dollar will buy a dollar thirty four Oz atm......

buy here, the exchange rate will work in your favour.....;)

16. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Holic

Dec 28, 2007
    Australia
    If he has the containers for free already tell him to jump on craigslist and buy up a bunch of the cheap pinball and dedicated arcade cabinets the USA has. It's one area where people here make a business just out of importing container loads\occasionally do group buys to make the cost reasonable of these and then resell at the way inflated prices here. If he has an electronics skills and can fix up some broken stuff even better. Need to find something like that where the arcades were more common in the usa than they were here so there's a difference in rarity. Plus they are an item that isn't feasible to pay shipping on.

17. trev333

maybe some old metal garage/music signs/posters of various US products of bygone days.... they won't take up much room in a container... might sell well at flea markets.....

they might come under household furnishings at customs....... I plan to adorn my walls with them, officer... to remind me of home...:D

18. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Forget importing cars to sell. My brother had a cherry 74 350/4 speed Camaro with fresh mechanicals and paint, converted to RHD. In the end he sold it for $5000. Less than it cost in parts and paint. The guy who flew in to buy it was trying to lowball him on the agreed price on the way from the airport.

Guitars - people won't pay stupid money for unwarrantied even new stuff. Yes new guitars are expensive. But they've been coming down and many people just buy expensive ones from Japan.

You'll pay customs duty including 10% GST on bulk loads of stuff. Problem no. 2, US domestic stuff is 117 volts, ours is 240 so any amps will have to use a stepdown which will reduce value, or trans replaced at hundreds of dollars cost, likely eating profit.

We still get 'real' Levi's, real Coke. Where you could make money is on things like Nike's and similar clothing and personal items which are expensive here, maybe phones. But again - customs will take a slice.

Importing a car to speculate is fraught with danger, unless it's a genuine collectible and rare. US muscle cars are surprisingly avalailable and not necessarily big $$$ sellers. They do not often fetch the ridiculous dollars we see on Barrett's auctions.

There are few billionaires in Aus and way fewer millionaires. So collectibles don't achieve such stratospheric heights as in America. There's not as many people with as much money.

A genuine with provenance '74 IIRC Indy Pace Car Corvette has been for sale for donkeys years. The guy can't get $65k for it.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018

19. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    Btw, it's Melbourne. One of the top 10 "liveavble" cities in the world.

The only downside is that when they eventually depart the kids will take the Aussie accent with them. Ha! Revenge for leaving.

CP.

20. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    They were afraid our kids would get a US twang, but it turns out the Australian accent is even more pernicious. Educators in the UK are alarmed children are speaking with a rising inflection because they watch Aussies soaps; making statements sound like questions, a peculiar Australian idiosyncrasy.

And recordings of ordinary Australians shows the accent has barely changed in 100.years. And the reason Australian newsreaders were picked for CNN is the Australian accent is intelligible to other English speaking countries.

The same cannot be said for broad accents from parts of North America, Europe or elsewhere.

So if the tin-lids start talking 'strine, they just have a headstart in the rest of the world...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.