Speaker recommendation

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by leftfoot1381, May 14, 2019.

1. leftfoot1381

leftfoot1381 TDPRI Member

Hey fellas, I am looking to try a different speaker in my Pro Jr. the amp is housed in a 1x12 cabinet. Originally I had a Weber sig 12S alnico in there but it just sounded too thin and brittle. So I changed it to a Cannabis Rex. The CR sounds really good but is super loud and has a ton of bottom end. I am looking for something to use at home that has early break up and has a nice warm sound and is maybe not as efficient as the CR. I am not sure if efficiency is the right term to use, but the Weber is much “quieter” than the CR which is what I am after since I play it primarily at home. I’m not much of a speaker guru so any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

yeah, I haven't found Sigs that great myself. And many Emi's are pretty efficient and loud.
    So... hmmm... early breakup but warm on the top. I'm striking out on that. Some older speakers like Heppner organ speakers are kinda like that. A lot of "early break up" speakers are bright for some reason. Probably because many early breakup speakers are smaller magnets and smaller voice coils. I think small voice coils tend to be bright.

I'm thinking you may want to try a Jensen RI Mod like a 12-50. The couple of Mod 10's I had were pretty warm and not loud at all. The higher the wattage, the later the breakup, but the higher wattage the warmer in that speaker and the more bass or low end!. So you are walking a fine line. The 10-50 I have is fairly warm though, and will break up. They are cheap too.

Some old PA speakers are warm, not loud and break up fairly early when used with guitar. I have a Fender Labeled 12 that is that way, but it's 16 ohm. (pic below) Notice the thick cone paper look. Even though it is a big magnet it's very warm sounding. SO maybe the thick pulp cone does the warm thing. I bet Weber could build you something but that's gonna be expensive. I also had some PA speakers that were CTS and were inefficient and warm.
    [​IMG]

leftfoot1381 likes this.
  3. leftfoot1381

I guess I should clarify what I mean by warm. I just don’t want it to sound brittle like Weber does. I put the Weber back in it last night and It sounded terrible. The CR will be going back in tonight until I get something else to try.

4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

I sometimes run my PJ into a 12" cab with an older Jensen speaker in it, and it sounds awesome. I can't remember which Jensen, but I will check tonight and report back. It is in fact so good I am thinking of mounting the PJ chassis permanently in the cabinet.

7201D5AC-9AF7-46AE-886E-FDDEADE5050D.jpeg

leftfoot1381 likes this.
  5. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

The Eminence FDM series might work
    for you. They are warm sounding and their efficiency is adjustable too.

6. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

My pro Jr is in a cabinet w/12" spkr.
    I tried several including crex.
    The speaker that works great for me
    is wgs et-65. No boominess, smooth top, and seems to work well cranked or at low volume.

leftfoot1381 likes this.
  7. leftfoot1381

Is that close to a celestion creamback? I have one of those I might be able to try.

8. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

greenback is a warm sounding speaker & also pretty inefficient

leftfoot1381 likes this.
  9. leftfoot1381

I was looking at a WGS Green Beret. Didn’t know if that was a good option or not

10. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

How long has the Weber speaker broken in? Thin and brittle might be a sign that it needs more hours on it?

W.L.Weller likes this.
  11. leftfoot1381

It was in there for about a year.

12. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Of course you can contact both Weber and WGS regarding their speakers. Describe what you have and what you are looking for. I've always gotten good advice from Weber.

Speakers I think might work:
    WGS: Veteran 30, G12C
    Weber: 12F150, 12A125

I also think the Greenback suggestion was a good one.

leftfoot1381 likes this.
  13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thin and brittle sounds like a speaker that hasn't broken in, but a Sig 12AS should sound better than that when new, right out of the box. After 40-50 hours of loud it should warm up and pretty much replicate an older Jensen tone. I recently bought a Sig 12AS for my ongoing 5E3 build.

leftfoot1381 likes this.
  14. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

I replaced a 10” in a blackface i use in the bedroom with a Celestion vintage 30
    Sweet’n it up nicely
    Took the sharpness out of it but not the bright clean sound,warmed the mids and bottom of it up without getting rid of the controllable bite

If that makes sence to you
    Craigslist,,,almost new $25,couldnt go wrong
    As a matter of fact ive been seeing alot of good speakers popping up cheap on there,,to the point of me picking up 4 and putting together a new cab
    Theres alot of older cheaper 4x12 cabs in the $100 range and they make a great platform to swap speakers and get the sound i want
    Just my 2 cents

leftfoot1381 likes this.
  15. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Not sure how often or how hard you have pushed it but maybe put the cr in for now. Connect the weber to a cd player or something. Stick it in a esky covered in blankets, or car boot, and run some doof doof music as loud as you can for at least 20 hours. Can't hurt to try.
    Btw. I have a 12 sig ceramic they are not brittle.

leftfoot1381 likes this.
  16. leftfoot1381

Well I honestly don’t remember how I broke that speaker in. I know with the CR I let it play for about 3 days in the test cell at work. I am assuming I did a similar thing with the Weber, but just can’t recall for sure.

17. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

The speaker in your picture would appear to be a Jensen FYI. You should find a code on it beginning with 220 signifying that. The next three digits are the date code. Elsewhere is the speaker model which should begin with a C.

18. schmee

it's a Pyle.

thegeezer likes this.
  19. thechad

thechad Tele-Meister

I would suggest looking into these guys as well. There is a Reignmaker which is the British style speaker and another one which is American voiced. Can’t recall the name. Both have a knob on the speaker to attenuate the efficiency/volume of the speaker which would be handy to get both break up and low end at home playing volumes I would guess.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  20. schmee

That Weber 12F150 is LOUD with a big bottom. He didn't want either of those.

Dukex and leftfoot1381 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.