Speaker holes magically don't match. Yes, magically.

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Singles Forever, May 16, 2019.

1. Singles Forever

Singles Forever TDPRI Member

Hi y'all. This is probably a really newb question. But its tripping me out.

I'm swapping the Celestion G12 from my Marshall Jtm30 with the Eminence Redcoat Wizard from my Blues jr. But the strangest thing is happening. The Redcoat fits the holes on the Marshall perfectly, yet through some unearthly witchcraft the Celestion is a about a half a centimeter off from fitting the Blues Junior holes

You would think that if the Redcoat fits the Marshall, the holes on the Celestion would have to be in the same place right?

How can this be? Dragons? Elves?

2. Deebs3

Deebs3 TDPRI Member

Make sure you place the first screws in loosely to give you wiggle room for them all, hopefully you can make up half a cm.

3. Singles Forever

Nah....its way too far off - when I put in two screws the other two holes aren't even visible - and i can't figure out how this can be.

The red wizard fits the Marshall perfectly.

4. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

This may be an obvious suggestion.

You try rotating the speaker? Maybe the holes aren't symmetrical?

Clockwise/counterclockwise?

AAT65, Pualee, mrmousey and 2 others like this.
  5. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

US vs Brit spacing..ya
    Usually EMI would have 12 holes and Celestion only 4 holes.
    The wizard is a speciality series however.
    I remember having to cut screw heads to make brits
    fit in my US amps.
    imho

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have never seen an Eminence speaker with 12 mounting holes. Eight is normal. I have also never had any trouble mounting a Made in England speaker in say a Fender cab except for the 4 extra mounting bolts that need to be dealt with.
    I have seen two made in China speakers that did not have four mounting holes nor did they have 8 holes.....they had 6 holes and required drilling new holes. These speakers were no made in China Celestions, but I can see that some problems in the f@ctory, which probably produces frames for Numerous "Chinese speakers, could get the mach8nery out of kilter and produce some errors. Is this G12 a made in China speaker?
    I would drill four completely new holes in the Celestion...if it is a made in China speaker.

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I have had speakers that were just a touch off from others. Some early Webers had to be pushed onto the studs, you could hear the stud threads rasping against the metal. had similar situations with old Jensens a couple times. I suppose it's amp stud spacing being at the limits of certain speaker holes. But never as far off as the OP is saying.

8. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

On a blank piece of paper, trace one mounting hole pattern with a black or blue pen, then trace the other mounting hole pattern with a red pen right on top of and in line with the other hole pattern.

Singles Forever likes this.
  9. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Meant bolts...and eight..since 4 is brit..oops

Wally likes this.
  10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have seen two made in China speakers that had SIX...6....six mounting holes in them. One of them was a 150 watt Johnson that I bought in the late ‘90’s just because it cost me $19 wholesale, and I was curious. Great speaker....better than any Celestion labelled Made in China speaker I have heard. The other one is a speaker that came in a 1966 Alamo Fury amp I bought and resurrected. The speaker was a Radio Shack labelled ?Chinese speaker. It must be a woofer because it is useless for guitar....no high end at all. That Fury???? One of the most distinctive sounding amps I have come across.

11. Singles Forever

Oh my God you guys are not going to believe what an idiot I am. I feel so bad for wasting all your time. Wow.

When I was mounting the speaker I had it on a very high ledge. Basically at pectoral level. As a result of that when I was looking down I could see the wood holes that were directly under my eyes. But the holes that were farthest away from me could not be seen because of my angle of view. So what was happening is that I was looking through the holes in the speaker, and then glancing through them at a hard angle (due to the ledge height) and seing just wood. Lol. All that time the holes were right underneath. I mean they were a little bit off but workable.

The reason why this didn't happen on the other amplifier is because I had it on a chair and was looking straight down.

Sorry about that.

The moral of the story: get born with a higher IQ than me.

12. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Lay off the Molson a little :)

Singles Forever likes this.
  13. Singles Forever

I'm insulted. Molson? More like Staropramen ;)

14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

I had a similar problem with my blues junior. I think the holes are out of whack. I managed to fit a v30 in mine but it took some fenagling.

15. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Back in the Blur I liked Molson, we'd go to a now long gone roadhouse in Ayers Cliff, QC. Guess Who played there in the late 60's.

16. Singles Forever

I was literally trying to guess who played there in the late 60s. I really gotta stop drinking...that was almost as bad as not looking straight down at the speaker holes.

zook likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.