Speaker baffle question... frayed corners?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by tubedood, Mar 12, 2019.

1. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

Hi again,
    I finally got my grill cloth put on the baffle for my tweed Princeton. I am going with Wine Taurus and Ivory tolex with the Wheat grill cloth. I watched (and re-watched) Uncle Doug's video on getting the grill cloth on. I wasn't anticipating how easy the fender Wheat grill cloth frays and unwraps. My corners are a little opened now ,but well hidden by the upper and lower fascia panels. What is a good preventive maintenance fix to stop the fray from spreading when I tinker on the amp n the future? I was thinking a dab of hot melt glue to seal the corners, but the heat might be an issue (I used a heat gun on low to soften the grill cloth and went easy on the heat as it can melt).

Any ideas are welcomed! I could just leave as is... just curious whats best.

Grillcloth2.JPG Grillcloth1.JPG

2. sds1

sds1 Tele-Holic

Hey neighbor...

Just being in the cabinet nice and tight seems to prevent additional fraying.

tubedood likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

You can carefully melt the hanging fray. Did you fold the corners over each other? Yeah that stuff is a lot more fragile now days. You can also tape around the corner far enough back so it doesnt show. Duct tape or etc.

tubedood likes this.
  4. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

I worry that if you do need to remove the cloth for any reason (which I know is unlikely) removing the duck tape will make the fraying worse. If it were me I'd simply brush PVA glue over the outer 5mm to stop further fraying.

tubedood and schmee like this.
  5. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

Thanks all for the suggestions! I tried to do as the video, by folding the sides over each-other then make a 45 degree miter cut on each corner, Easier said than done with the plasticky woven material.

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, but it's only $15 ....?....of material! I like the glue, rubber cement, silicone sealant idea though!

7. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

Probably the only future ideas for this cabinet is to try a Marshall flavored build that it would hold. I'd change the speaker for an old Celestion G12 but that wouldn't require pulling the baffle so any of these ideas will work to keep the fray from spreading. It may not be a finger/ box jointed cabinet but I am feeling good about it! Next cabinet I will learn to use my router better!

Cabinet.JPG

BigDaddy23 and Paul-T like this.
  8. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

If it looks good installed no one is every going to know and it *shouldn't* get worse over time.

tubedood likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.