Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sparkle Particle Sizes

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Uncle Joe, Sep 3, 2014.

1. mlp-mx6

mlp-mx6 Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2008
    Atlanta
    I just had to re-buff a .015 flake Strat - 6 months after the first buffing, which was several weeks after the last coat of lacquer. Never again will I do flake with lacquer. Automotive urethane only from now on with flake.

2. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2014
    Tijuana/San Diego
    Yes, too much work, time, and material to properly cover flakes with lacquer :neutral:

3. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    It's never easy. I guess it was too humid when I shot my second can of Krylon Fusion Clear over the Glitter Blast Cherry Bomb/sprinkled sparkles/Glitter Blast Sealer/first can of Krylon Fusion Clear. The clear coat stayed cloudy for over 36 hours. I Googled "Krylon Fusion Clear Milky Coat" and found a video showing that a heat gun helps. It does. This is getting crazy.

Here's the milky look:

[​IMG]

Here she is after heat gunning. I hope I didn't hit her too hard. I'm afraid I may have overheated near the pickup cavities and loosened the adhesive of the laminated top. Dag nab it.

[​IMG]

I'm waiting until the perfect day to spray again. It should be coming on Sunday. Low humidity may help this process. The first can didn't leave this type of milky look. It must be caused by the higher humidity when I sprayed the second can's five coats. I'll need to watch that more closely.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

4. Uncle Joe

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    The Glitter is buried now. It doesn't seem to matter how many sizes are under there. Here she is after five cans of Fusion Clear. Now I wait. Hopefully those sparkles pop after sanding. We'll see. It's a good day to dry out. I think it takes a while to cure though. The clear is so thick at this point that I don't care if a bug flies in there. That's what tweezers are for.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

5. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Looking good.

In the sparkle game there is no "hurry," only "wait."

;)

6. Uncle Joe

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    It's only day one of curing. I'm not going to make it. I read where one guy suggests leaving it for a year.

7. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2014
    Tijuana/San Diego
    Find another project to keep you busy while you wait ;)
    That's why i like urethane for sparkle jobs.

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    They'll pop all right. When you get to the buffing stage, it's like magic. ;)

9. Uncle Joe

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    What exactly is this Krylon Fusion rattle can stuff? Is it acrylic? Is it urethane? I really can't figure it out.

10. Uncle Joe

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    So I guess after I'm done waiting I'll just start with 600 grit paper and work toward 1200 and steel wool. Then should I spray it with clear again or just buff it out?

11. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    With my last one, I wet sanded to 2000, then rubbing compound, then swirl remover, then polish, then wax!

12. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Just a little story here...today I buffed out a silver sparkle body that I put the last coat of clear on in June.

It looks great...and I know there will be no suckdown of clear over the flake.

With the stuff I use, I can sand with 220 between coats and all of the lines disappear...which means green pads and 220 are all I use to prep an old coat for new.

:)

13. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    What about at the end?

14. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    I usually sand to 2000 then buff and swirl-remove...but with the right compounds I think I could stop at 1000.

I don't think many body shops sand cars to 2000...if you know what I mean.

:)

15. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2014
    Tijuana/San Diego
    I don't like to start with 600 grit, specially with acrylic or lacquer. I start with 1000, then 1500, then 2000 and buff after that. Don't use steel wool!

16. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2014
    Tijuana/San Diego
    I guess it's some kind of acrylic formula, the urethane i use is a 2 part formula that mixes clear with a hardener for faster cure time.
    The 1 part urethanes are something else.

17. Jim DaddyO

Jim DaddyO TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    0000 steel wool is about the same as 800 grit I believe.

18. Uncle Joe

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    So I've been reading about the rattle can curing effect and it seems that it takes awhile for the stuff to harden no matter what. Do you think I could speed it up by hanging the guitar body in a greenhouse? I'm looking at one right now through my office window. It seems like a viable plan. Right now, if the weather's good, I hang the thing from our backyard swing set so it soaks up some sunshine and then I bring it inside at night. I'm thinking the greenhouse is better. I just took a stroll in there and it must be high nineties Fahrenheit right now.

19. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2014
    Tijuana/San Diego
    Don't put it in the sun! It's gonna bubble up the finish.

20. Uncle Joe

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thanks. I didn't think of that possibility. Maybe the attic is better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.