Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sparkle Particle Sizes

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Uncle Joe, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    Getting the bushings out required some help from "Other Guitar" experts. Some searching around and I found what was needed to get the bridge bushings out...

[​IMG]

Some painter's tape...

[​IMG]

2. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    I want a guitar with sequin-sized sparkle stuff, visible from outer space. I don't know how you'd get the stuff to fit around curves, but maybe something like this:

[​IMG]

3. Uncle Joe

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    Seems to fit around curves just fine.

4. Uncle Joe

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    First coat completed. I hung the body from the swing set, heated the can in a pot of hot tap water, shook it for ten minutes and The Glitter Blast sprayed just fine. I started on a test board and moved over to the guitar body. The sparkle from the can was small, as I knew it would be, so I sprinkled my custom Glitter mix atop. So far, so good. I have a run along the horn but I'll sand it down and shoot it again. I would advise being farther back than ten inches when spraying. Maybe a foot or so is ideal.

When it dries I'll brush off any loose sprinkled Glitter that gathered too close together and give it another blast and sprinkle.

[​IMG]

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Looks mighty good--but be careful with that run! If you sand the flake, the color will come off and you'll be looking at silver.... I imagine it's quite difficult to spot repair and still make it look consistent, so you may have to spray the whole thing again, or at least whatever face the run is on.

6. Uncle Joe

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thanks. Yes, you're correct, I need to be careful with this goop. Done and done. Took the run down to near wood and sprayed again. Second coat. I've used up one can of Glitter blast and less than two ounces of Uncle Joe's Special Red Glitter Mix sprinkle. I think another coat may do it, and I've got another little can of Glitter Blast Cherry Bomb and a couple more ounces of sprinkle.

This thing is shaping up into a Daisy Rock special. I'm not so sure Johnny Thunders would approve. We'll see. Here she is with the second coat:

[​IMG]

7. Uncle Joe

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    Well it looks as though the third time is the charm. Time to get ready for Mass and i'm calling it sprayed.

Part of the challenge of the great outdoors is the breeze. My paint job caught something out there. I thought it was dust. Nope. As Slip Mahoney would say, it's a woim.

[​IMG]

8. Uncle Joe

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    Big day for our youngest in soccer. Twenty minutes on the pitch and two goals in a 3-0 win against another Morris County town with a good program. The kid's a killer in U-9 and she's seven. I'm an old man now so I've been drilling her since she was scoring goals under kitchen chairs with a number one sized souvenir ball from the 2006 German World Cup.

Meanwhile my other child still at home got her first coat of clear. I told my wife to get used to this baby, she's ours for the next month or so. She replied, "She's your child, not mine."

This baby looks better a little out of focus. That's not usually a good thing...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

9. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2014
    Tijuana/San Diego
    It's looking good!

10. Uncle Joe

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thanks. Over the course of a number of hours last night I hit it with the two little cans of Krylon Glitter Blast sealer and it didn't build up much. The Glitter still isn't encapsulated with clear. I figured that the Glitter Blast sealer must be compatible with the Glitter Blast Cherry Bomb so I gave it a go. I'm told the Krylon Fusion Clear UV protection, in the bigger cans, will build better and be compatible. We'll find out. That's what I'll do tonight after I cut the lawn.

11. Uncle Joe

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    Back to Glitter particle sizes...

So the Glitter Blast rattle cans use .004" and .006" and I sprinkled on some .008" and some .015".

Today I rummaged around here and looked for something I could use for a Red Glitter truss rod cover. I originally thought of spraying the small bell-shaped plastic cover and then thought maybe I could have somebody in our shop cut some Red Sparkle .015" in cast acrylic. I found a swatch here...

[​IMG]

The problem is that the stuff is too thick, same trouble as the brown Glitter scratchplate. The acrylic sheet is .125" gauge or so, about an eighth of an inch thick. That's too bulky for a truss rod cover, I think.

[​IMG]

12. Uncle Joe

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    I think I'll go with this old Glitter tape that I found. It's self-adhesive, peel-and-stick, that will be easy to cut in the bell shape for the truss rod cover. The cool thing about this old stuff is that it uses aluminum Glitter cut in size .008 x .015" rectangles. That's really old school, popular before the polyester Glitter took over. If you look closely at the 60x magnified shot you can see the striations across the rectangular particles. This is from the rough surface of the aluminum flake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

14. Uncle Joe

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    Yup, I sprinkled on some extra stuff. You can use just the paint. I used the Buckocaster advice of warming the cans in hot tap water and somebody else's advice of shaking the can for ten minutes, not the two minutes recommended on the can.

The Glitter Blast will work. The particles are just a bit small.

Also, if you want to stop spraying and start up later with another coat of Glitter Blast, I recommend taking the rattle can tip off and soaking it in Mineral Spirits for a few minutes and removing the excess sparkles with a cotton rag. Worked for me.

Good luck on yours.

15. Uncle Joe

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    Look what I found. Bet we could see these from space. The Sequincaster? I certainly hope not!

[​IMG]

16. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Geez, just when I thought I had sizes figured out, now I have to worry about shapes. Hexagon, pentagon, rectangle, sequin! Where will it end!?!?!

17. Uncle Joe

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    I'm happy with the old red Glitter tape...

[​IMG]

18. Uncle Joe

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    Here's what the body looks like after a can of Krylon Fusion Clear. It yielded five coats and I still have a long way to go, it seems.

[​IMG]

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Oh yeah, man--cans and cans and cans to go.... :lol: You'll think it's done, then wait a while: it'll keep sinking in, and sinking in..... :eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.