Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sources for wood

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Geosh, Dec 22, 2008.

  1. Geosh

    Geosh Tele-Meister

    170
    Dec 4, 2008
    Chandler, AZ
    Where do you all get your wood from? I am doing my first builds (yeah, starting 2... it will be a learning experience) and want to have a flame or quilt maple top with mahogany back. Where is a good place to get some quality pieces of wood? I am mainly concerned with the maple, as I want it to have a good figure.

    Let me know who you might recommend and who I should steer clear from. Thanks!
     

  2. Togman

    Togman Tele-Holic

    903
    Apr 28, 2004
    Cambridgshire, UK

  3. Geosh

    Geosh Tele-Meister

    170
    Dec 4, 2008
    Chandler, AZ
    I was thinking of what stores would have it... but you have a point! Cut out the middle man!!


    I have found some places online, and I will be talking with Tommy at USACG soon, but I was just looking for other options for good COMPANYS to deal with. Thanks again!
     

  4. guitarbuilder

    guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

    Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I got some nice flamed maple from Ebay. When I first started out, I'd buy flamed maple backs from International Violin Supply. They would sell them separately from the sides. They were quartersawn and bookmatched already. They were only 1/8 thick, but worked out great. I also purchased maple from A & M in Ontario Canada, but I made a trip up and picked the stuff out myself. The best stuff I got in the form of a billet on Ebay and I would re-saw it into different tops. I did some quilted and fiddleback this way. Expensive though,...but nice.....
    Marty.
     

  5. Shoved BassVIII

    Shoved BassVIII Tele-Holic

    763
    Oct 29, 2007
    Lima Ohio
    There's always the local lumber yard
     

  6. tonewoods

    tonewoods Former Member

    Age:
    66
    Jun 23, 2007
    Orcas Island, Washington
    +1...

    And I make my living supplying tonewoods.... ;)
     

  7. muchxs

    muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

    Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    I get mine from the same big pile Fender and Gibson get theirs from. Ever see a couple hundred thousand board feet of figured maple?! :lol:
     

  8. martyb1

    martyb1 Tele-Afflicted

    Feb 18, 2007
    Alberta,Canada
    Well I hate to reveal my sources but you can not beat the quality of the wood from these guys.You can sometimes get it pretty cheap from their ebay storeor he usually has some sets listed on his main site
    Great quality wood and his shipping is reasonable and FAST
     

  9. Shepherd

    Shepherd Friend of Leo's

    Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada
    That guy is only a half hour from my place but it seems all they sell is maple. No ash, alder or pine.
     

  10. jkingma

    jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

    Admin Post
    I am lucky enough to know a local farmer that also runs a small sawmill. I get 90% of my lumber from him and the other 10% from specialty lumber stores like Exotic Woods.

    I can get 8/4 walnut from the farmer for about $4/FBM. :D
     

  11. Ironwolf

    Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

    Age:
    61
    Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Check your local listings for places that carry exotic lumber; most larger towns and cities have one or more. Also check Woodcraft.com and see if there is a local store.
     

  12. eltoroburacho

    eltoroburacho TDPRI Member

    I faced the same dilemma...where to get exotic and semi exotic woods. If you are going with mail order, then a few good ones have been mentioned. Additionally, you may want to check out www.globalwoodsource.com. They have a pretty good selection of stuff - but as a disclaimer, I live close enough to visit their store so I haven't purchased from them over the net.

    If at all possible, I recommend finding a source in your area where you can actually inspect the wood in person. I researched my area looking for hardwood suppliers - floors/cabinets/etc. A couple had a large selection of instrument grade materials...

    Cheers,
    ETB
     

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.