Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sounding good with a cheap guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kelnet, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    If you hadn't said the guitar was cheap, I wouldn't have noticed. Nice work.

2. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Always liked Samick's "Greg Bennett" body shapes, but sorry, that headstock -- which was on the entire electric line for a good long while -- has got to go.

3. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    Crappy guitar into great amp = great sound.

Great guitar into crappy amp = bad sound.

Undone likes this.

4. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    isn't samick made in the same factory as a lot of 'fancier' guitars?

5. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I don't think it's in the guitar moreso the plyer. The late, great JJ Cale played a single pickup double cut with soundhole ( ebay for $450) Danelectro and played some great pieces on a Tacoma ( Asian Guild) acoustic and HE was worshipped by Clapton and many millions worldwide. He didn't show off but that Oaky Shuffle (in The Breeze and more) is testimony to his playing.
    It's sometimes where you don't play, the backbeat, that can turn a whole song and rhythm around.

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I should start a thread called "Sounding Bad With An Expensive Guitar" because I've done this plenty of times (and truth be know, I know a bunch of guys locally who do this all the time).

7. Linkslover

Linkslover TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Chicago
    True. I paid $150 for it with a cheap cardboard case. That's about 43 years ago. At 3% compounded inflation, that $150 would be about $535 in today's money.

My Yamaha FG160 sounds better than any $500-$600 guitar you can find today.

Admittedly, i did spend about $170 a few years back for a new saddle, nut and set up to make it play much better. It doesn't play quite as good as my Taylor 314, but it sounds better.

8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    That sounded very nice. The whole thing is great. She has a beautiful soulful voice and a nice guitar tone. Thanks for sharing.

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I've never heard a bad thing about Yamaha acoustic guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.