Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sounding good with a cheap guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kelnet, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Well said all around Jupe!

2. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Oct 10, 2010
    Twangers Medows USA
    checkout jack pearson and his squier bullet.

dan1952 likes this.

3. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Many, many brands are made by Samick in their factory in Surabaya, Indonesia. Some notable brands used by some very renown guitarists.

nojazzhere and jvin248 like this.

4. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    Sounds good. Cool video video.

5. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

Nobody but us, watching that video, would give two hoots about what kind of guitar she's playing, or what amp, microphone, strap. . .I get what you're saying, though.

Nice video. Good performance, nice song, pretty lady, cool set, great camera work.

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    The question is, if someone buys a cheap guitar that someone put Lollars in, is the new owner who expects it to have stock pickups going to replace them with Guitar Fetish pickups?

nojazzhere and BobbyZ like this.

7. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    +1 if you are under the age of oh..40-45? it's highly unlikely that you have ever encountered a really bad electric guitar except in a ironic "artiste" way. Even the early Korean Squiers and things like off brand S-types tend to be miles ahead of what was common in the '60-70's and much of the 80's. Recent low end First Acts & such can be set up and played for pay with no real concerns.

Acoustic are now at that point also, I have a budget Epiphone A/E from a pack that is perfectly fine. $200 will get you something with a solid top. 20 years ago $200 was problematic at best.

Undone and BobbyZ like this.

8. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2011
    France

i don t think it s about the guitar. Playing a cheap guitar adds this particular kind of not perfect toutch. Which you can t recreate.

9. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    This place and most other online forums perpetuate the obvious fallacy that gear matters very much, which of course the musical instrument manufacturers perpetuate.

Literally the least notable thing about that great video is how expensive the guitar is that she is playing.

Flaneur likes this.

10. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2011
    Mandurah. West Australia
    I bought a Samick Greg Bennett design acoustic guitar from a friend and used it busking (with power) for over a year. Then I bought a Maton Performer and sold the Samick back to my friend but I kinda missed it because after I'd done a bit of work on it I just loved its sound and playability. I guess the name Maton became more important. I have worked on the Maton to customize it to my liking and it plays and sounds just great and other musicians having heard it thru' my Fishman LB Mini have complimented me on its sound so I s'pose I mustn't be greedy... S

11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    +1

Samick ghost builds for 80% of the import guitar market. All your favorite brands at all the price points. When they build cheap guitars for others like 'Silvertone' it's do to the others' specs to make cheaply. When Samick builds for themselves or their house brand Greg Bennet they build well. I have one of their Artist Series Explorers and in spite of being abused by a string of prior owners it plays great, is well built, and sounds awesome -- I've had people offer me money for it on the spot but I kept it. This model was built between 1999-2001, all the Artist Series in all shapes were built 1995-2002, Greg Bennet from 2002+.

At 1995 when they started the Artist Series they already had "30 years building guitars and learned from working with engineers at Gibson, Tokai, and Matsumoku" (samick.wikia.com).

Many Epiphone model serial numbers indicate Samick factories and Matsumoku is revered in some collector circles. The Junior and SG in the picture next to my Explorer are probably Samick (that SG does a better SG than my old Gibson SG ... and I don't have any headstock anxiety).

IMG_4510b.JPG

Great tune by your friend!

Flaneur likes this.

12. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    It is my personal belief that since CNC manufacturing became the standard, the difference in playability between a cheap guitar and an expensive guitar is at most 10%. Maybe 15% on one with bad QC. Tonewise, it's as much of a crapshoot as it's always been. Every guitar is a soup, and sometimes the ingredients on one turn out to be a perfect synergy. Or not.

(Disclaimer: referring to solid-body electrics primarily)

Undone likes this.

13. Undone

Undone TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2018
    Virginia
    It's amazing how much guitar can be had for a couple of hundred bucks (and in MANY cases less) in current times. I know some of the crap guitars we had in the early to mid '80's were just enough to make you NOT want to play. I don't even want to think about the beginner amps of that time period......

nojazzhere likes this.

14. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2007
    Moon Township, PA
    I totally agree.
    My Supro Carlisle has an incredibly wide fretboard, baseball bat neck back profile and narrow / low frets. String it with .013" - 056" and it helps me to edit my playing. I think Jack White chose the Airline for the same reason.

Fiesta Red and johnny k like this.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I like this, but I have no idea why. It's kind of catchy, but...

R. Stratenstein and Fiesta Red like this.

16. Linkslover

Linkslover Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    Chicago
    I have a 45 year old Yamaha acoustic (FG160). It has a solid top and, i think, solid sides and back. But whether the sides and back area solid or not, it's a great sounding guitar. I'll match its tone against a Martin, Taylor or Breedlove any day.

Part of its great sound is that it's old. Guitars send to sound better with age.

17. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Yamahas of that era are outliers, many people prefer them to the brands you listed ( I once traded a mid line Red Label Yamaha for a entry level current production US Martin; to each his own..) While it's true they cost significantly less than the major US makers of the day and were close to the price and arguably superior in design and construction to the Chicago & German firms they were not inexpensive.

Truly affordable acoustic of that era like the budget "Stellas", Woolworths "Audition" or the common "Decca" imports were pretty dire. The equivalent money adjusted for inflation will get you a nice guitar today, The Yamaha money of that era will buy you a really fine guitar.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

18. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    The best way to sound good with the cheap guitar is to know how to play.

I've heard better from good musicians on crappy instruments than crappy musicians on good instruments.

I'm pretty sure I fall on the latter end of that spectrum.

Felino and grooveiron like this.

19. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    If it was the Samick that Prince played it would be worth a lot of money, thus a great guitar.

I mostly listened to the vocal on the recording, if it had been guitar alone I wouldn't have lasted long...
    Really, who cares about guitar players anyhow?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.