Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sounding good with a cheap guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kelnet, Apr 21, 2018.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    A friend of mine just made this video, and she's using a very old Samick. I think it sounds just fine.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Well, yes you can.

nojazzhere likes this.

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Cool video!

nojazzhere likes this.

4. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Samick isn't a crappy guitar, in my experience. Inexpensive doesn't mean crappy, but to answer the question, yes, I believe a great player can sound good with any playable guitar.

5. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    not only can I sound really good with a crappy guitar I can really sound crappy with a good guitar.

I like the video a lot.

6. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    I do hope so, I only own crappy guitars..Your friend sounds good, I would buy her stuff and have her poster on my wall.

nojazzhere and kelnet like this.

7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    The vocalist is a band I used to play with had a white Samick. I don't remember it being crappy.

stinkey likes this.

8. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin
    That's a moot question and you know the answer. ;)

Yep, sounds fine & and it's a good video. :)

now something for the moot Q. :lol:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    telemnemonics and 2blue2 like this.

9. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    Guitar shaming, are you?

kelnet likes this.

10. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Okay, I've changed the thread title to be less moot. :D

Alamo likes this.

11. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Many inexpensive guitars have better tone than we expect. The key to their sounding good is how playable they are. A great setup can fix some of the flaws that make a guitar difficult to play. Great sound comes from the sound you make with the guitar.

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    My first Tele-style was a Samick....sounded more like a Tele than some Tele's I've played.:) I think I'd still have and play it if it hadn't been stolen.
    I REALLY like this video....cool visual, great guitar sound (and playing), thrilling vocal performance. Thanks for posting this.
    BTW, I've played crappy guitars, and I've played "inexpensive" guitars. To me, the terms don't necessarily go together. My favorite bass I've ever owned, out of some pretty nice and expensive-ish ones, is my Korean Fender Squier P-bass....dead stock except for upgraded tuners.

Undone likes this.

13. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    A lot of excellent instruments have come out of the Samick stable. Even better value, from the used market.

If 'good tone' was just a commodity, everyone, with money, would have it. ;)

Or not! :lol::D

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Cheap guitars of today are much better than the cheap guitars of yesterday.

With the right pickups/amps/pedals, right recording equipment, right people recording it and the right player, anything can sound fantastic. It takes the know-how and some hard work. Better equipment means less work.

Alamo and JL_LI like this.

15. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't know much about that guitar but it looks to be a Greg Bennett, FB 1. There is a lot to like about the guitar. I love it. And it, indeed, sounds great. I have played some Samick guitars that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies...but close ups of this one seem to show a guitar worth more than it's price tag. Thanks for the clip. She sounds great!

[​IMG]

telemnemonics likes this.

16. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    There's guys using those late 60s early 70s Japanese guitars like Teiscos, and sounding good. A Samick is a huge step up from one of those darn things.
    I'm actually amazed that you can buy cheap guitars today and actually play them.
    The Berkley acoustic and Kingston electric I started on were pretty horrible to play.

nojazzhere likes this.

17. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    A proper setup & pickups go a long way

18. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Yeah, I think it is a Greg Bennett model.

Thanks for the comment about her song. I haven't told her that I've brought it to the membership. I'll pass along all the comments.

19. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Great song, great singing, great sound and great playing. I enjoy her confidence and message.

Yes, my Epi Sheraton II is an MIK Samick and it is top notch. All I did was replace the electrical components. "Cheap" is nothing close to describing it.

kelnet likes this.

20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    One of the lessons I learned on the way to telefication has been that the relationship between price and sound of guitars is extremely complex, contingent on a skabillion variables (not the least of which are personal taste and confirmation bias), and in many cases, ephemeral. It's easier to document a connection between cost and playability/reliability, and those things can have a knock-on effect on sound.

My corollary to that is that if your guitar is properly set up and still sounds like butt, it prolly ain't yer guitar that's the problem.

PS: I also really enjoyed that song.

Fiesta Red, kelnet, Toto'sDad and 2 others like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.