Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Sound City Documentary

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Vortexan, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Vortexan

Vortexan Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Anyone seen the Sound City Documentary narrated by Dave Grohl, and a cast of rock legends. All of the music that was recorded with Rupert Neve's board to 2 inch tape. From Buckingham - Nicks, Tom Petty, Foreigner, Rick Springfield, Pat Benatar to Nirvana. Lot of music history. Dave ends up with the board in the end and has it in his own studio. Worth the time if you get a chance to see it.

2. Vortexan

Vortexan Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    No one else has seen this?

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I saw it last week.

Very cool. Tons of records done there. Huge records.

Some of the stuff at the end where Grohl got back people to record again through that board makes me want to seek out the soundtrack/companion disc.

I hope Grohl threw some money at the one lady who worked there.

Oh - and Stephen Pearcy is ragged as a roach. Some definite road miles on that guy...

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. steve v

steve v Tele-Meister

Jun 18, 2009
    Eagle Mills, NY
    I thought it was great, really enjoyed it. It's even "wife approved"

6. muddyh2o

muddyh2o TDPRI Member

Jul 25, 2010
    houston,tx
    i thought it was very good. in the early 90's i was a tour manager for a national recording act, one of their albums was pictured in the doc, and was with them for a recording session at this studio. upon arriving at the studio my thoughts were the same as a lot of the commentators. i thought the place was a dump and i was really impressed with all the gold and platinum hanging on the wall. met michael schenker there also. what a history that studio had. glad grohl has that console.

7. Vortexan

Vortexan Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Cool story! Interesting how pro tools became the death of it. Also that was interesting they way they broke it down to move it, then right out the window. What a studio he has with it now though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.