Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sound City amp head help

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by morgansofas, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    AHA! The video helped - I did a bit of detective work and FOUND IT!

Check this line of amps (I provided the brand link because it's interesting). The Regent 50 is "Linear RSC Bass Regent Amplifier" - it's at the bottom of the page. They were made by made by Linear/RSC and sold under about half a dozen brand names...but not Sound City.

I have seen/heard these before and they're actually pretty darned good! IMO it's a better guitar/bass amp (with service and a little tweaking) than a Sound Sh**y...

http://www.chambonino.com/work/linear/lin9.html

...and here's the true point-to-point circuit board!

That olde can cap has to go pronto! But some techs would kill for those yellow coupling caps if they're any good! Look at the cool paper-wrapped transformer and the w-i-d-e open layout. Plenty of room for mods to make it a better guitar amp.

If you have a good tech you're in great shape. These are good amps and built like tanks. There's no "junk parts" anywhere. It'd be a nightmare for a newbie to work on but simple for anyone with solid technical knowledge. It's a very simple circuit, just laid out weird.

And it even has the "3 15" speaker jack. THAT I still find odd as I have never seen a guitar amp speaker marked "3 ohms". They must not make it to this side of the ocean.

I don't know what you paid, but I imagine it was well worth it!

Bass Regent circuit.jpg

2. morgansofas

morgansofas Tele-Meister

Feb 15, 2013
    Sherwood Forest, UK
    Ah thanks again everyone, especially Silverface, great sleuthing! I'm undecided whether to keep it or not yet. I really want a Bassman sf head again...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.