Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Soul Food Makes a Loud "PoP" First Turn on

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Platefire, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    The first time I turn my Soul Food on it makes a Loud "PoP". Then after that as long as you have it on no more PoPs---only the first time. What's the deal? Platefire

2. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    Not unusual. I have some boxes that'll do that. I've got into the habit of switching each box on and off before I start. Works as a power check and to get rid of any stray voltage that'll make the switch pop.

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    What your whole pedal chain? Usually placing a buffer in front o after will give you a clue as to where the D.C. voltage is leaking.

If you open up your SF there is a switch to turn on buffered bypass, this could eliminate problem in certain situations.

4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Don't hold me to this, but I seem to recall that you can turn it to buffered, which would eliminate the pop.

I had one and it did the same thing. I just popped it on right away when I powered up and it was over with.

5. Platefire

Nov 3, 2003
    Thanks! Will switching it to buffered change the sound any? Platefire

6. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Yup, mine does that when the buffer is off. I just click it on and off once before I take the amp off standby and/or turn it up.

7. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I really don't know. I know that true bypass is a marketing point for some companies, but I've never really cared either way. I figure once I stuck my tuner in the chain it didn't matter anyway c

8. Platefire

Nov 3, 2003
    Yeah, l sold my pedal tuner. Seems I'm hooked on clip ons now.

I'll just have to try the buffered setting and see. If I could remember to turn it on/off when I first turned the board on, but I usually forget. Thanks, Platefire

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    It could but depends on your chain. If it gets brighter you just go to treble knob and knock it back a notch.

10. manticorefx

manticorefx TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Midwest

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.