Sort of NGD

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Fenderdad1950, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Meister

Bought this Modern Player a couple weeks ago. I posted a thread here on these being the 'bastard' son of the name Fender, due to it being made in China an having 'Fender' on the headstock. I came to the conclusion that if the Fender Corp accepts it, then who am I, an old guitar player; to argue. 20190205_063137.jpg 20190205_062824.jpg

2. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Those are great guitars. Congratulations!

My first tele was a modern player like that (I'm not much of a traditionalist).
    I hated the pickups. And tried swapping in cheap stuff to find something I liked. And never got there. So I sold it at a big loss. But it had a great neck and I loved the subtle body contours - belly cut, bigger radius where your forearm goes, etc.

Knowing what I know now, I wish I had stuck with it and spent some serious coin on real pickups. I'd probably still be happy with it today. (Of course, I had crappy amps, too. I bet the stock stuff sounds great through a real tube amp!)

3. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

Nice one! HNGD!

4. Fenderdad1950

I've thought about changing out the neck & middle pickups, but all I have seen is pickups sold in sets. Any good sources for single pickup buys?

5. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

Have a custom pick up made
    I hear nothing but good things on Bootstrap
    Short money to get a hand wound custom pick up
    For the money it’s worth it to order one and find out IMHO

https://bootstrappickups.com/

6. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Reverb.com always has a ton of stuff to try. I've even bought/sold locally through craigslist. Or the TDPRI classifieds. I haven't tried Rob DiStefano, but everyone around here speaks highly of him. And Bill & Becky Lawrence (Wilde pickups) are also highly regarded (and high-value).

My personal preference is Sunday Handwound (he's on reverb). Tim will wind whatever you want. And pricewise, he's extremely high-value. You might find some used fender singles for cheaper, but he can wind a set (neck/middle) for you that will hum-cancel (or not) and tailor each one to your preference. And they'll beat the socks off of any fender or duncan pickup you'll find, IMO.

7. kaynray

kaynray TDPRI Member

Pretty sure you can buy Bill Lawrence (Wilde) keystone's one at a time. Hard to beat either.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

8. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats.

9. Fenderdad1950

Thank you everybody

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Neato!

11. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

wonderful instrument I assume the middle pickup is a strat middle pickup? I found a strat pickup that I really like for the middle position, so I getting why the tradition of the 2 pickup tele has been expanded upon. the versatility of the instruments tonal options certainly enhanced by the break with tradition, a fine looking instrument. congratulations.
    oh, and black/black with white line is tasty as a penguin sandwich, figuratively speaking.

12. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

I owned a Modern Player like that one (in the Honey Burst finish) from 2012 until just last year.

I loved it, and found the pickups to be just fine for live performing.

My only caveat to that statement would be to say that the 'coil tapping' feature of the bridge humbucker was a bit weak. When you switched from humbucker to single coil, with the five way switch on the bridge pickup alone, you literally lost half your punch and more than half the volume.

All in all though, great guitar.
    The finest neck of any Tele I have ever held.

I only sold it because I was endeavoring to thin-down the collection (I'm down to 15 guitars now) and because a good friend really coveted that guitar, so I sold it to him.

:)

13. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yeah, those are really well made. I had one briefly, returned it for a hardtail strat, which is what I really wanted. But was impressed enough it’s hiw well it played that I later bought the thinline version with two P90s. Plays just as well as the three-pickup version but with a combination of sounds I didn’t have covered elsewhere. Those things are incredible values...

14. AviA

AviA Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

congrats!!

15. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    Nice...

I made a Partscaster out of a 2013 Fender Modern Player Strat neck and a 2004 Squier SE Strat body because I had a couple Seymour Duncan pickups laying around. I really wasn't expecting much, but it's now one of the better playing and sounding guitars I own (one of the top three I'd bring to a gig at least):

Squier Pickups.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Mincer likes this.
  16. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Congrats and HND!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.