Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Sorry Joe Bonamassa but....

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TeleToTheRain, Sep 27, 2016.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Is he known as a covers guy? Or are you continuing to make a point about how derivative you believe he is? (Again, I'm not a fan and don't know any of his music. But from what I've read here it sounds like mostly does albums of his own stuff.)

What about the Stones "latest" "album"?

2. 6stringvet

6stringvet TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Chilliwack Bc
    Nah!!! Joe Bananarama is too much.

Anybody who looks like that an sells signature cufflinks to boot?

I don't see Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Eric J or others doing that.

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I find all of them equally boring personally. Are any of the others known for wearing cufflinks on stage? I gather Joe is. Maybe that's why he sells them. Or maybe they don't because they can't, and he does because he can?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va

Theyre about to start a new album

6. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I wonder how much of his public persona is because he's really a shy introverted guitar geek. So he has to put on slick shades and a suit and act a bit brusque and aloof when on stage or in public venues like NAMM, etc. That would explain why he comes off one way in public and is actually much more down to earth and interesting in person, in small groups, not with general public and fans milling about. It is very hard for the average person to be genuine, comfortable, and nice when in scrum of people they don't know who are all trying to get a piece of them.

GoldDeluxe5E3 and P Thought like this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Bingo!
    The guy is the definition of derivative.
    You found the perfect adjective!
    The Stones started as a blues cover band, but their success is based on the riff rock they wrote, and are early masters of.
    Keef channels Chuck B, but does not ape him.
    Show me something JB has done that was not done (better) originally by someone else, prior to him.
    Maybe it exists.
    So again, is he all we have for a young(ish) guitar, uh, hero?

8. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Aug 13, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    I pretty much felt the same was as the OP until I saw that "Welcome to Nerdville" video that someone shared a few weeks back. How cool is he!? Seems like a really down to earth guy who has a gear hording problem and the means to justify it. I consider myself a fan of him - his music, not so much.

MilwMark likes this.
  9. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I suspect the guitar hero thing had its time. Maybe it will come again. Maybe not. I don't think about Joe B like a guitar hero. Music is more fractured and specific now. Check out Chris Walla's work when he was in Death Cab for Cutie. I thought he was doing really interesting, innovative, guitar-centric stuff. Ben Gibbard writes some pretty good riffs too. Both in their 40s.

Jack White and Dan Auerbach? I don't really think in terms of guitar heroes I guess. I'd say Chuck Prophet is pretty innovative, but he might be a bit to old ~50? I'm confident they are out there, just like they've always been.

brookdalebill likes this.
  10. 6stringvet

6stringvet TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Chilliwack Bc
    Equally boring? Interesting!!

11. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I'm not saying you are anyone else needs to. That blues-guitar-hero (or just guitar-hero) thing just isn't really my bag, baby! Personally if the reason to be there is just the guitar, I won't be there.

Somehow Kenny Burrell or Tal Farelow are different for me. Don't ask. I can't explain.

12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Not gonna hate on the man, but, its just like the people that have a hard time getting into the other JB Jeff Beck. I can totally get it. There is no crime in not connecting with someone musically. What if we all had exactly the same taste in everything? Life would suck.
    I fall on the side of not connecting with Joe B's playing/music and I'm fine with that. He's fellow guitar geek and thats pretty cool, I certainly connect with him there.

13. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    +1

GoldDeluxe5E3 likes this.
  14. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    Reminds me of the old joke:

"How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?"

"13. One to actually change the bulb and 12 to tell you they could have done it better."

-Hawk- likes this.
  15. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2011
    The Netherlands
    I've seen Joe life a couple of years ago on a festival and was pleasantly suprised with a hell of a show. He lacks good songs but the man has some serious skills that I could only dream of. Hate his image (suit, shades and poor hairline slicked back) but he seems a nice guy that loves blues and guitars. He should play his teles more often though...

16. Strum und Twang

Strum und Twang Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2011
    Amarillo, TX
    I don't own any of Bonamassa's music, but I find myself drawn to all of his videos as I find them diverting. To some extent, I'm a fan - or at least a respectful bystander - of anyone who has the kind of work ethic and passion that I sense in him. There are many other guitarists that I tend to seek out before him, but I'm glad he's out there making folks happy with his work.

(Brief editorial: I've never understood the need to bash performers. It's hard enough to be a musician these days.)

17. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

This.

18. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    I was going to quote a few comments and respond, but it's not worth it.
    For whatever reason, JB has become a lightening rod for the internet bashers and nothing I say here will change that.

And others have stated, I really don't get the whole bashing thing. Jealousy?? I don't know. Whatever...
    The guy is obviously talented, he works his butt off, and he's managing to make a good living doing what he loves. Not a fan of his music? Fine. But "hate" the guy?? Really???

I will say that I've been listening to a few of his studio albums lately (Different Shades of Blue, Driving Towards The Daylight, and Black Country Communion 2) and I like a lot of his original material. I'm also a big fan of his work with Rock Candy Funk Party.

I will agree, however, that he should play his Tele's more often.

Side note on the shades: Joe has stated that the main reason for that part of his "stage look" is that his eyes are sensitive to the bright spotlights and he's been a lot more comfortable since he started wearing the shades. :cool:

RLee77 likes this.
  19. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Meister

Dec 18, 2011
    Atlanta
    I totally support joe. He has great respect for those that have gone before. His mentor was Danny Gatton. He can really play. Give him a chance. He posts on lespaulforum.com and is just as geeky as the rest of us that study tone and hardware. And he plays his vintage Les Paul standards in concert instead of keeping them in a vault.

RLee77 likes this.
  20. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2004
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    I was just wondering if any of you guys and gals noticed that Stevie Ray Vaughan and Prince and David Bowie sometimes dressed differently than you? I thought this was a Guitar Forum.

I paid $200.00 to get tickets to see him play at the Brady Theater here in Tulsa, OK a few weeks back. I found a guy on Craigslist who was not going to be able to use his prepaid tickets. He was planning on flying in to Tulsa from Nova Scotia to see Joe. Tickets locally were going for as much as $300.00 each.

Joe started playing right on time even though the idiots at Brady Theater couldn't process the huge throng of people trying to get in to see him. He played 20 or more songs on at least 15 different guitars including his very early Telecaster and his most recent acquisition the famous Fender Stratocaster used by Eldon Shamblin who played with Bob Wills.
    Joe's band consisted of a drummer with 29 years experience playing in the band on the David Letterman show. His keyboard player was Reese Wynans of Double Trouble and Nashville session fame. His Bass player was Michael Rhodes, one of the good ones playing out of Nashville as does Wynans. Great Brass and vocals. This group was first rate. I got my $200.00 worth and I didn't get board.

I did get a bit perturbed with a guy who was in front of us recording the whole two hours on his IPhone.???
    There was also a drunk lady who thought she could dance and subsequently spilled the entire contents of her purse in the Isle and had to enlist the help of some people with cellphone lights to scramble around and put all of her stuff back in her purse.

Lost_N_Austin

RLee77 likes this.
  21. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    I'm nobody, and I wear shades on stage too.

Hate the lights in my face.

Frank'n'censed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.