Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Sorry Joe Bonamassa but....

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TeleToTheRain, Sep 27, 2016.

1. kLyon

kLyon TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2011
    US
    I second this. Beth is an old friend - I was in a band with her when she was 17; amazing voice - and I was really happy when Joe connected with her. (In fact, it was really what made me pay attention to him.))

Honest Charley and texastengu like this.
  2. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    In all these years I still haven't been able to listen him with any regularity. I like his collections and knowledge. I have seen some of his interviews. I hear him frequently on Sirius Bluesville. I appreciate his talent and his love of guitars.....but no. I just can't listen to him much. Sorry Joe. To me he plays everything written without much soul. Maybe that's it.

3. texastengu

texastengu Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2016
    Austone, Tejas
    They are reuniting for another album!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Fred Rogers likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. rag1

rag1 TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Katy Texas
  6. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Not a huge fan of Joe, but I give him big wraps for coming to Australia regularly (even the small cities) and working up a big fanbase here, which is a ton more work than most of his fellow countrymen can be bothered to do, as there's no easy money earned lugging a show halfway round the world. The man works his butt off for his career, and has fun doing it.

7. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I hold nothing against the guy, (the only time I've really heard him was in '93, when he was 12, hanging with B.B. King, catching him play a few numbers at the Gorge, in WA). He's obviously got some talent & money, but when I want the Blues, I know where to get them.

Chester Burnett and RoyBGood like this.
  8. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I don't know why he sparks so much controversy.

Maybe because he's hugely popular and successful in a way, but not in a Rolling Stones way? So he's only known by guitar nuts and people who love "modern" blues (not sure if that's the right term). Both smaller "niches".

I just find him kind of "generic" I guess. But I'm not offended by him and as others note, I can certainly see the skill and the dedication. It doesn't make me want to criticize him. But I'm also not sure why so many would seem to question that I don't really enjoy his music.

3-Chord-Genius and dlew919 like this.
  9. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    ATTENTION: this is only a generalisation & not meant for anyone in particular.

Skill & dedication are one thing, but feel & originality will carry you much further with the Blues. Some who offer their high praises, haven't done their homework...I saw the same thing when SRV was the flavor of the month.

"Are you experienced? Have you ever been experienced?"

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Whatever happened to "originality"?
    You know, new, groundbreaking playing.
    A fresh spin on the game.
    I hear nothing but competently executed rehashes of other great players from JB.
    Why bother listening to a competent cover artist?
    Why discuss him?
    To quote Joe Walsh, So What?

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Well, I think the answer is, a lot of people enjoy the way he interprets and reassembles. Nothing wrong with that. And to the prior post about "feel" versus "skill" that is your preference and opinion as well. Joe B's fans might think he has great feel. And who's to say they're wrong?

I'm just always intrigued by this phenomenon where Joe B seems to prompt opinions where people think their preferences "right" quote and the other preference is "wrong", in a more intense and different way from other performers.

Hammerdog likes this.
  12. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I am not playing the "right or wrong" game.
    All great players are known for bringing something fresh to their audiences.
    Maybe it's sheer skill, a great tone, innovative use of technique, innovative use of effects, great memorable songs, something.
    Innovation is the key word.
    These are things that separate the good from the great.
    Where are the innovators?
    Most of them are gone, or (way) over 50 years of age.
    Kinda sad, IMO.

13. noah330

noah330 Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Really? I believe it if you saw it but I don't see girls as being his core demographic and it's surprising to think there are lines of women with his name tattooed on their body.

He seems like a decent guy. He tried to buy my Dumble at one point. I got an email from him and had no idea who he was. Good player, not my thing but seems to love music.

I watched his guitar collection interview and actually thought it was kind of depressing. He seems lonely. Nice gear though.

14. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Aug 14, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN
    JB seems to have the same polarizing effect as John Mayer and a few others. Obviously quite talented but not everyone's cup of tea. People take issue with his personality for some reason. Many, many music icons are gigantic tools and nobody seems to care but with JB and JM some people throw a hissy. It's nice when the musicians we listen to are also really nice guys but I'm pretty sure everyone here totally loves an artist or two who are genuine sociopaths and not just mildly annoying like JB admittedly comes off as.

I don't care for that modern Blues/Rock sound I associate him with. I've never heard anything from him I would bother to seek out and hear again. I also have nothing against him or people who dig it. I was in a band that covered a couple of his tunes and they were kind of fun to play and challenging. It pushed me out of my comfort zone which I thought was a good thing.

No hate here but what I've heard from him, while admittedly very good playing and production, lacks the the things that draw me to the Blues. It's actually nice to see someone start a more positive thread about Joe. Much in the way SRV did, he is bringing Blues music to a wider audience and I think any blues fan has to appreciate that. It seems like whenever The Blues looks like it's in it's death throws, some young hotshot comes along and reaches a new audience. You have to at least like the guy for that.

Now I'm gonna go put on some Son Seals.

Hammerdog and dlew919 like this.
  15. riff

riff Tele-Meister

May 15, 2010
    Springfield, MO
    Seen Joe 3 times at a small venue here in town before he got big. Less that 15 bucks each time. He was very good, very friendly, very gracious. This was back when he had Eric Czar on bass. Killer shows!

16. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Sep 9, 2015
    South Florida
    Don't know why Joe gets a bad rap when he has a suit and glasses on. I mean he was bad ass in the "Matrix"...."Hello....Mr. Anderson".

17. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Not particularly a JB fan, although he's obviously got terrific chops. But I've been enjoying the work he's been doing with Beth Hart, showing he can be just as effective in an accompanying role when required -- although naturally he gets plenty of opportunity for the flash stuff.

18. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    Joe by any measure has succeeded where most of us have not.
    That alone sets him apart and should be all that's nessasary to give the man his due.
    The blues is a free form style, but the parameters are fairly well defined, if you want to be called a blues man.
    So it's hard to be called original in such a defined space.
    SRV wasn't original by this definition either.
    Eric Johnson is original, but nobody calls him a blues man.
    So from all those who fault Joe for his lack of originality, let's hear your original take on the blues.
    My guess is you won't get to 4 bars before you steal someone else's lick.
    Joe travels the world playing what he loves. He isn't forcing anyone to buy his tickets or his music.
    So why can't we all just applaud the man for being able to live the life most of us dreamed of at one time.
    Jealousy and envy by those who look on from the side lines is nothing new, it's as predictable as the earth orbiting the sun.
    However if you lose the blinders and just look at the guy for what he is, an average Joe who loves to play guitar.
    People pay money to see him because they like him, It just that simple.
    He's not breaking any law of the blues, so just let the player play.
    Tearing him down will not make you a better player.

19. riff

riff Tele-Meister

May 15, 2010
    Springfield, MO
    Interesting, and loneliness wouldn't surprise me at all. I suspect once you've got some level of notoriety and money, and do a lot of travelling, you may not know who your friends are to some degree.

20. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Why make a fuss over a cover artist?

21. noah330

noah330 Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Maybe. I don't know anything about him but he seems like he's in the early stages of becoming a horder. I had a close friend who could have been on the TV show about that and they started out collecting things. It slowly consumed him. He was financially ok but was a very lonely guy who never married, had kids, etc.... It's a sad path.

I have way too much gear myself but I also have a wife and three kids. Thinking of him spending his nights sitting in a room with all his guitars watching The Simpsons like he talked about in the Reverb video just seemed depressing, and I say this as somebody whose about his age.

I could be way off the mark. Just my 2 cents.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.