Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Sorry Joe Bonamassa but....

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TeleToTheRain, Sep 27, 2016.

1. RLee77

RLee77 Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Lol, have you actually heard the lyrics of many of the all time classic songs? Some are silly to the extreme.

It's interesting though, that many times when someone takes a dislike to an artist (hey it's their ears, I have no problem with differing preferences), they end up attacking every little thing about them. Even pointing out things they do that other artists they like also do. Even clothes, glasses, other minutia. Human nature I suppose. I'm sure I've done it as well.

2. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I am not a fan of the blues whatsoever. Don't follow it, don;t care for it, and so on.

So I get this thing on Facebook saying, "If you like Emerson Lake & Palmer, you'll LOVE Joe Bonamassa!"

Who the heck is "Joe Bonamassa?" I ask myself. So I follow the link.

I hope they are not actually paying anyone at Facebook to match up what people like with stuff that's currently out there. Because if they do that dude needs to be fired. Just sayin'...

3. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

I kind of think guitar face is involuntary. In live performance it's also fleeting, and it's sort of unfortunate when a camera catches it and makes it so permanent.

MilwMark, ZackyDog and RLee77 like this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. RLee77

RLee77 Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Yeah the problem with my guitar face is that I don't have Joe's (walsh or bona) chops to back it up... I imagine people muttering behind my back, "Poor guy, he's not only a terrible guitar player, he's ugly as sin too!"

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016

6. RLee77

RLee77 Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I disagree. I believe music for accordion players is the worst. Or maybe it's music for kazoo players. One of those.

7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I agree in principle, but Yngwie Malmsteen owns a mansion, several Ferraris, a huge collection of vintage strats, and has a hot wife.....

8. RLee77

RLee77 Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    That certainly beats my huge collection of vintage wives and a hot strat...

faulp, Sinner1980, stnmtthw and 9 others like this.

9. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    And at least he writes songs about Vikings. And that's Yngwie J. Malmsteen. Not to get confused with the other Yngwie Malmsteens.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I don't have a "guitar face", but I've noticed people in the crowd making odd faces when I play. I guess I give the audiences "guitar face".

11. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2012
    in a van by the river
    Two Christmas's ago I took my then 82 yr old grandma to see The Brian Setzer Orchestra. She really enjoyed seeing a big band and dug the music, but afterwards she said "If I have to hear another guitar!....." I totally get it and I burn myself out on youtube a lot listening to "guitar music" too. Check out Joe's stuff with Beth Hart, he really serves the songs more than his guitar in those settings.

12. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2012
    in a van by the river
    Hahahahaha!!!

Jim W likes this.

13. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I agree that the guitar should always serve the song. As I get older I find myself trying to play slower and more melodically with much less shredding. Less really is more.

14. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Yeah, but when he wakes up in the morning, he's still Yngwie Malmsteen.
    Poor bastard.

15. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

Dec 27, 2004
    North Hollywood
    He seemed interesting so I joined his Forum. Pretty basic run of the mill fanboy/gear talk, until............................I made a less than favorable comment about the amount of cheesy merchandise he sells ( In Jest of course) and I was almost banned from the forum. I got roasted and flamed over there so bad that I came back here for some peace and love! :)

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.

16. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I'm sure he's cool with that.

17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    True, which just goes to show there is no accounting for taste. Fretboard gymnastics have absolutely zero interest to me. But then again, different strokes for different folks.
    If someone wanted me to give up some secrets, it would be easy. Just put on some Yngwie music (our anyone like him) and play it continuously. I would crack quickly. :confused::lol:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Mr. Lumbergh and dlew919 like this.

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    But then - a little Beth Hart goes a long way.

She tends to over-sing. A lot.

I saw her with Jeff Beck and she sang maybe 5 songs in a 15 song set.

Perfect.

19. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    The same would happen to me if you forced me to listen to BB King, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc. playing the same 5 notes (in almost the same exact orders). It would be like Chinese water torture. Bonamassa on the other hand... he's probably the only blues player whose playing can hold my interest. But like Yngwie, his songs need some help.

RLee77 likes this.

20. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Really?

He must have an inheritance, because he's never been a top selling artist.

Maybe he's big in Sweden or something.

Good for him though.

21. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    He puts his name on every product they allow him to. I saw a yngwie TUNER the other day.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.