Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Sorry Joe Bonamassa but....

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TeleToTheRain, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    Overall I'm not crazy about his music but he is a hell of a good guitarist.

Tazz3 likes this.

2. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI
    I've never met him.

The guy has a long history of playing some very advanced, stellar guitar. People rip on him for his guitar style sometimes, but he is perfectly capable of playing note for note old 50's & 60's Blues, as well as playing his own Blues authentically in that style. He chooses, often, to do his own interpretation of Blues that is more technically advanced, but that is his artistic choice.

It is pretty rare these days to see/hear any Blues at all on mainstream TV these days, so I think it is wonderful that Joe is doing what he's doing

LutherBurger, RLee77 and jmclaren like this.

3. NardeeMacPennis

NardeeMacPennis Tele-Meister

Feb 13, 2016
    Philly
    He's one of the most overrated players of all time. Really just a glorified blues player who's best stuff is covers of others material. When I see him mouth every note I want to punch him in his mug. He may be reveared by baby boomers but, in the overall spectrum of playing he hovers around average and his vocal chops aren't much either.

cntry666 likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2012
    in a van by the river
    thought better about it, deleted this post

Tazz3 and Cheap Trills like this.

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Ahhhh...there we are.

As it was in the beginning , is now , and shall ever be - it's all about the songs.

There are some folks who can listen to brilliant guitar soloing inside of mediocre/forgettable songs all night long .

I can't, and I know lots of other folks who feel the same.

Plus - part of Joe B's thing is the vintage gear. Dudes go just for that.

Which is why if he has any kind of an accountant worth a crap - he's able to write a good portion of that stuff off as a business expense...;)

7. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I only care about one thing. Does he use "lol" or any other current vernacular in his internet posts? If so, he can stuff it!

8. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    A teacher once told me there's no money past the 5th fret meaning you better be able to write great songs too. As I've gotten older I realized most of my favorite players are great but they can't write songs very well. So while he may be a great player and have an impressive vintage collection I'm not digging any of his songs or singing. Just like I don't like when Eric Johnson sings or Paul Gilbert sings. Great players but not good songs.

Tazz3 likes this.

9. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.

I could never understand why Bonamassa takes such a beating for his singing. Sounds pretty good to me, certainly within the context of the genre.

By the same token, SRV doesn't ever seem to get criticized for his singing, and Bonamassa sounds better to me.

texastengu and RLee77 like this.

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Not a fan. Oh, he's got chops galore and talent.

So much of it is overdone. Blues is a pure form of music. The more simple it is the better. I'm pretty burned out on guys who are more rock than blues.

MotorTedSS likes this.

11. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2012
    in a van by the river
    I am so glad there is so much variety out there! Sometimes I get an urge to listen to a particular style, and bam it's there! I don't feel the urge to have to love a guys entire catalog or style in order to do that. People writing someone off or bashing them just because they don't fit neatly into their idea of the world is shortsighted and frankly comes off as jealousy most of the time. I wish Joe continued success!

12. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2012
    in a van by the river
    I actually didn't know he sang at first. I've always thought these guys were lucky cause no matter how good I get I can never sing.... but BB, Hendrix, SRV, these guys are all triple threats if you include songwriting. Apparently Joe worked pretty hard at singing and is really humble about it. I certainly wouldn't mind sounding like him!

texastengu likes this.

13. RLee77

RLee77 Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    What people like and listen to is obviously a personal choice, as it always has been. Yours is an honest opinion and preference, stated with respect (unlike some others).

I listen to Joe a lot, being a big blues fan, and I really respect his commitment and ongoing support for the blues. I love his style and tone, and when I listen to his stuff I *want* to hear over-the-top soloing. His influences were blues and rock icons, and he's brought them together in a masterful way, in my opinion.
    Thankfully there are enough artists with different styles for everyone!

texastengu likes this.

14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Great guitar face; probably the best in the business :

Untitled.jpg

15. RLee77

RLee77 Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I don't know; Joe Walsh is a master at guitar face:

[​IMG]

Paul G., talkbox_64, Tazz3 and 6 others like this.

16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    A thoughtful reply. I must admit that I've changed over the last few years and reverted back to a preference for blues with more space. I don't even like SRV as much as I once did (although I still enjoy his playing). It seems that every new blues artist starts out being pretty true to the blues but then starts branching out to more rock oriented or flashy playing. The only guy who embellishes the blues that I like right now is Robben Ford and I recently became aware of British guitarist Matt Schofield who I like a lot.

texastengu likes this.

17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Joe wins.:)

brookdalebill and blkpwdr like this.

18. RLee77

RLee77 Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I know exactly what you mean about blues with space, that wrings everything out of each note, without mad flurries... that tends to be my fav parts of blues songs, and sometimes I listen to half or a third of a song up until it starts getting too busy then switch to another slow blues song. One I've been listening to a lot lately is Joe's "Reconsider, Baby", and my favorite part is the intro, up to where the vocal starts, because every note has such meaning there.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    texastengu likes this.

19. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    He seems like a nice guy and knows his stuff about old guitars and blues traditions.

But as others have said, he doesn't have good songs and without those I'm just not interested.

His songwriting is incredibly basic and immature and the lyrics are embarrassing a lot of the time.

Guitar playing for its own sake bores me silly, it's all bout the song and the guitar should serve the song.

It's music for guitar players, and that's just about the worst kind of music.

Durtdog, ac15, Colo Springs E and 2 others like this.

20. dlew919

dlew919 Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    I think he's main problem is the marketing. Lovely man great player gear head but the emails 'hear what bonamassa has to say about b b king' or 'joes career defining performance at the Grammys. Can he top it?' I read that and think 'shut up and play yer guitar'.

Again I think he's a great player and I've heard nothing but good things about him. My critique is solely on his marketing.

cntry666 likes this.

21. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I was kinda turned off buy his smug on-stage look or whatever, but I can't deny his playing is friggin' amazing. He had a free album download a couple of weeks ago and again, his guitar skills are off the scale - but there weren't any memorable songs on it. They weren't bad songs, and I could easily chill out to that music, but he needs to find some catchy hooks. He will.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.