Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Sorry Joe Bonamassa but....

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TeleToTheRain, Sep 27, 2016.

1. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    I like watching him on Norm's rare guitar videos he seems like a good guy

texastengu likes this.
  2. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    Check out Josh Smith or Greg Koch. I could never get tired of listening to those dudes. There videos of Joe jamming with them on YouTube.

talkbox_64 likes this.
  3. jmclaren

jmclaren Tele-Holic

Apr 21, 2004
    Southern California
    I'm always impressed with the "A" list players who are in his band, especially Kirk Fletcher. I saw Kirk perform with a three piece band at the BOSS booth stage during Winter NAMM 2016. He's an incredibly tasty player. A very humble, approachable guy, too. Check him out if you aren't familiar with him.

Jim W likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    You know, I love Greg Koch. I dog his live streams, and his gear demos, and his playing... in small amounts. I own some Greg Koch but I have a hard time listening to an entire album of him. Maybe I find it tiring? Not boring, quite the opposite LOL. Maybe it's TOO much? IDK. Love Koch and Bonamassa both tho.

6. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    Not a big Bonamassa fan as a player. But, the guy has incredible work ethic. He's earned his success and works very hard at it. That I admire.

Cheers,
    Geoff

eastside and MilwMark like this.
  7. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Mar 22, 2010
    Ohio
    Who cares what the guy wears on stage?
    He's a talented player, not my cup of tea, but I acknowledge his skills.
    As far as meeting him in person, he's just a man like all men, has good days and bad.
    I'd rather rip on Billy Joe Armstrong anyway;)

Paul G. and irie like this.
  8. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I saw him a few times before he had 2 albums out. He reminds me of Gary Moore and Robben Ford. Like them, he became the guitar god he dreamed about, and people didn't/don't really care.

Good for him he can make a good living for himself and his crew do his passion. I got a lot of respect for that. But his musical preferences don't excite me. High Octane Blues Rocker. The world had that before he was born.

9. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Mostly comments from fanboys.....:D :p

Sorry...just ribbin you guys.

10. viper007

viper007 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2014
    Sweden
  11. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

Dec 13, 2013
    Sweden
    I think JB is at his best together with Beth Hart. I also like his Muddy Waters tribute at the Red Rocks. Fantastic music. Fantastic band!

12. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Kirk is great. He may have shared the stage with Joe a few times, but he really has his own thing going. He's not an up and comer who Joe is showcasing. Kirk has already come up. He plays with the Hollywood Blue Flames, Jr. Watson, Rick Holmstrom, Alex Shultz, Kid Ramos etc.

13. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Meister

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    I watched Live at Greek Theatre and he gets such a consistent tone on every axe. His band is exceptional.

It's good Joe has learned to appreciate how lucky he was at a young age being around great players.

eastside likes this.
  14. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Oct 28, 2009
    Galveston, TX
    He is a very talented guitar players. Not my personal favorite but I highly respect his playing.

Tazz3 and irie like this.
  15. JohnnyGringo

JohnnyGringo TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2013
    How can you not appreciate this guys talent/ability? Good grief, whether his musical style scratches your itch or not, you seriously cannot deny his dedication to/love of that which we all hold near and dear to our hearts...

16. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    I could never get into his music and even his image as a nerdy guitar geek kind of put me off. I taped several of his concerts off the TV and struggled to get to the end of any of them - until I saw the one with Beth Hart and that really impressed me.

He wasn't the front man of the show but supported what Beth Hart was doing really well. I always felt like he would over-play on every song but he didn't on that one.

Since then I've seen several interviews with him talking about his gear - where does he get the money for all these purchases???!!! - and his stage set ups and he does come across as just an ordinary gear freak like the rest of us - just with the ability to buy exactly what he wants whenever the fancy takes him! Lucky man......

17. jmclaren

jmclaren Tele-Holic

Apr 21, 2004
    Southern California
    Right, and he was the lead guitar for the Fabulous Thunderbirds for awhile, too. That's why I referred to him as an "A" list player.

18. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    It always amazes me when musicians bag on musicians for how they look.

blkpwdr and RLee77 like this.
  19. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

His band really is amazing. When I saw them they were tight as all get out. But I have to agree that the descending sixteenth-note pentatonic licks a.k.a. Eric Johnson licks are heavily over-used. It's a good lesson for me, personally. More and more I believe that "less is more". I try to play more melodic and slower leads. A very little shredding here and there goes a long way, in my opinion. Most lead guitarists have little ruts they get into when it comes to pulling out the same bag of licks- I know I do. Focusing on a melodic and/or rhythmic statement over an interesting chord progression really helps avoid that problem a lot.

As far as his personality goes, nobody's perfect and there are a lot worse out there, no doubt. For a guy making a living as a rock star with thousands of die-hard fans he seems to have his head on a lot straighter than most, I would say. People who get famous, have an entourage, etc., have a hard time staying grounded.

20. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    First time I heard of Bonamassa was watching the Tom Dowd documentary, "The Language of Music". In it, a much younger Joe Bonamassa was introduced by Tom, who made some laconic comment about keeping an eye on this kid, because he (Tom) thought he was going to go places! That's pretty high praise, from a pretty high source:

21. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Could you tell that he wasn't feeling himself this fateful day...:D :lol:

Not to mention that he was wearing platform shoes. I thought he was way taller.

PS. Im younger and thinner now...

[​IMG]

Stellacaster and pondcaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.