Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sorry Joe Bonamassa but....

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TeleToTheRain, Sep 27, 2016.

1. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2012
    in a van by the river
    I was wrong...

I think I saw him on a cover of a guitar magazine, or a quick video clip, and was immediately turned off by the grin, shades, slicked back hair, and suit, and what I looked at at the time as being somewhat milk toast Les Paul wielding white boy blues playing.

I WAS WRONG!

Just saw him on one of Norm's Rare Guitars videos on YT a week or so ago, and his guitar geekiness and personality had me interested in looking deeper. Ok, I'll be honest, maybe it was the thumbnail of the vintage Broadcaster in the YT feed that first drew me in....

Sure, he did come out a couple years ago on Twitter railing against the Grammys in a less than humble tirade, but I like the guy, it's just his personality sometimes, and there's an honesty there that I presumptively thought his "look" on stage betrayed... not the case. I actually see that look now and think it's kind of funny in an 80's album cover kinda way.

I've now watched a bunch of interviews, a documentary on his YT channel, etc. and he really is a down to earth dyed in the wool guitar geek like all the rest of us, save for the whole crazy he's got more talent in his left.... than we have..... he has a real respect for all the greats, and knows their playing inside and out!

I wouldn't say I'm a fanboy for all his music or anything, although The Ballad of John Henry has the greatest riff I've heard in a while. (Official Music Video version on YT is the one to check out)

If you haven't already, give Bonamassa another chance... I subsequently found out that A LOT of "guitar people" don't like him... perhaps its for the same reasons I didn't at first, or jealousy over the fact that he was playing with BB at 8 years old, etc.... but dig deeper, it's worth it.... if for nothing else, to check out all the insane gits he PLAYS and takes out on the ROAD!

Take it easy my friends, just felt compelled to tell ol' Joe sorry my man!

Paul G., brbadg, awasson and 8 others like this.

2. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2012
    in a van by the river

Here's that vid. I think the solo was a bit of a missed opportunity, but that riff! and the vocal are great.
    Some people don't think he's original enough, but from what I've heard, he's pretty darn eclectic, doesn't just "copy" other "burst" players blues playing like he's been accused of, but that's just my opinion.

His backline is no longer a complicated array of Marshalls, Dumbles, effects, etc.... just a group of old tweeds, cool! again, just my opinion

3. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    There really is a big disconnect between his ultra-cool stage image and his regular guy offstage presence. He always sounds like a lovable kid when I hear him talk about music.

I have a lot of respect for what he has accomplished professionally. Through work. I can only imagine how much advance planning goes into keeping his career thriving.

stnmtthw, Tazz3, Dan R and 1 other person like this.

4. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2012
    in a van by the river
    very true, and I'd imagine so

1:18... says it all

soulman969 and Dan R like this.

5. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

I've met the guy in person at a local guitar show, and honestly, he acts like a little priss. I guess people get so enamored by him that they don't see him for what he truly is.

Hell if I'm going to support that kind of poor behavior. He's kind of turned into an egotistical dude that just happens to play guitar slightly more consistently good than others.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

6. irie

irie Tele-Holic

Jul 15, 2014
    Orange County, CA
    haters gonna hate! I can understand why some people dislike him but he is a gear nerd just like us and a knowledgeable one at that. I really enjoy watching and listening to his video's too.

HWTele, ruger9 and Ash Telecaster like this.

7. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Nothing but respect for Joe. I've met with him on multiple occasions and he's always been funny, smart, interesting and quite generous. Last time I saw him was at his rehearsal facility in N Hollywood and he was carrying 2 Gibson chainsaw cases. My buddy knows him well and signaled him to come over. I said "what chat got in the cases, a couple of Firebrand Les Pauls, lol?". He smiled and opened them up. 2 bursts. "Wanna play them?". So he pulled one out of the case and handed it to me like it was a $500 guitar (but with reverence), while he tuned the other. Then we swapped. We both played for about 10 minutes and he told me the story of how he acquired them. After that we talked about the pair of '68 Superlead stacks he had just bought from a little old lady in upstate NY.

Super nice. He wasn't wearing the shades at the time, lol. I like Joe and love his playing.

soulman969, DonM, RetroRocker and 2 others like this.

8. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Like him.....a lot

xland and Ash Telecaster like this.

9. MuddyDitch

MuddyDitch Tele-Holic

Jun 1, 2014
    Tulpehocken Delta
    He puts on a good show and really gets the crowd grooving. Love his recording of Tennessee Plates.

Ash Telecaster likes this.

10. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

A long time fanboy here. I've always railed against slander threads. Nice to see some pro Joe. I think his live at the Royal Albert Hall is tremendous! I love that concert.

11. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Nice post, TeleTo, I'm a big fan of his and have never really understood why some are so down on him. Amazing talent, and great support and commitment to blues and vintage gear.

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

13. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    I think he's a great player but he just rips that Eric Johnson lick a lot. I think I like that tribute to Muddy Waters stuff better than his own songs. It's great he's had success without radio or whatever but he does come off as not very humble.

14. texastengu

texastengu Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2016
    Austone, Tejas
    Joe's played here in Austin more times than I can remember and long b4 his fame came he was playing down at Antone's and I'd ridden the motorcycle downtown and parked out front and was waiting to visit with him afterwards and there was a massive line of girls getting him to "autograph" their bodies so they could go down the street to True Blue to have it tattooed and Joe glanced over at me and asked if I wanted anything signed and I was holding my skid lid and handed it to him and he said "Damn! I've autographed a lot of things but this is the first motorcycle helmet". Just a regular kid enjoying what he likes to do.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    soulman969, DonM and t guitar floyd like this.

15. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island
    I like Joe best when he was doing Black Country Communion. Great band!

jimash, eastside and texastengu like this.

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    He does quote EJ quite a bit - and that dude is tiring.

**Full disclosure : when I was 18 I wanted that much guitar soloing and so-so songs as an excuse for even more soloing. Now ? Less is more. You have to admit - there is no subtlety to that guy.**

On the other hand - if he can make money and acquire that level of gear doing that stuff ? More power to him. I respect anyone with a good grift and that dude has a great one.

bender66 likes this.

17. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    has anyone seen him and that mayer guy in the same room?

just sayin

(Full disclosure- I've never knowingly heard anything he's done, I just read what you guys have to say :))

Flakey, jimash, pdcorlis and 5 others like this.

18. xland

xland Tele-Meister

Mar 26, 2015
    Central Illinois
    <-----big fan of Joe. After seeing him in concert a few years ago I was inspired to finally pick up the guitar and learn to play...at age 45.

talkbox_64, lewis, Hammerdog and 3 others like this.

19. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    I still prefer pre-Kevin Shirley JB (Blues Deluxe is my favorite JB album), and I enjoy his YT vids much more than his live DVDs (altho his Rockpalast DVD is awesome. Pre-Shirley)

I saw some vids from the Red Rocks "Muddy Wolf" show, and thought... hmm... now THIS I can get into even more... not the "Kevin-Shirly-hey-Joe-you-should-sound-like-Zepplin-and-Paul-Kossoff" stuff, but American blues.... and THEN I saw clips from his 3 Kings tour, and was blown away again (like I haven't been in years)... LOVE the band with the horn section and backup singers too!! I just got the Live At The Greek DVD (3 Kings Tour), but haven't watched it yet.

20. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2014
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I've seen him live a few times and have never walked away unsatisfied. I actually like his acoustic sets better than his electric, but now that he is 'simplifying' his sound I really am liking what I hear from him as of late. He's a fantastic player, and a genuine guitar aficionado.

GoldDeluxe5E3 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.