Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Sorel day (deep freeze content)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Boubou, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Thursday i had a Sorel day.
    It started wednesday, -27 when i got up, -39 with the windchill, for those not familiar, both farenheit and celsius have the same -40.
    So the commuter train dies, after 15 minutes they have us got off, telling us to take the next train. 20 minutes later, the next train arrives, it was so full i did not see anyone get in, another 20 minutes the next train arrives, i succeed in geting on, but not everyone gets on, of course i am in the unheated part in between two train cars. I thought i was going to loose my feet to frostbite.
    I have a pair of cute Northface boots, which "North Face" i am not sure, but they are great for walking, not so great to keep you warm.
    Next day i said screw this, i am wearing my Sorel boots.
    [​IMG]
    I mean i used to drive a small team of dogs ( dogsledding) so i have all the gear to whitstand the coldest weather ( looking like the Michelin man but at least no freezing)

My toes were warm, though my boots looked clunky walking downtown
    That was a brutal week, i dont think we had a day above -35 with the windchill
    oh yeah, forgot, meanwhile my arctic dog is all warm sleeping inside;)

2. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity

Nice boots. You cannot be more comfortable than your feet are.

3. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

Well I know `cause the coldest I experienced was -40 in Northern Alberta many years ago when I worked for Chevron on oil survey crews...outdoors...and we were permitted to stay outside for only 15 minutes at a time after which we had to return to the trucks, so I feel your pain...don`t feel your cold but I feel your pain as I recall how freaking cold -40 is. Bonne chance.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity

I had to turn the fan off here because it was under 28C, so I know exactly what you mean.

6. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

The way to get on a packed train is to approach it the Tokyo way...rush to the door then turn around and get on backwards...somehow they seem to believe it`s easier that way, or maybe it`s just better not having to face the people they are squashing back as they get on a train car you thought was as full as it could possibly be, not sure, but I do know...I could never live in Tokyo. Fun place to visit, apart from rush hour...but live there...no thanks.

7. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Ah Montreal winters - I "endured" two of them way back. There again my wife says they're no comparison to the Cold Lake, Alberta winters she once went through.

I still have a pair of Sorels out in the garage somewhere.

8. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Tele-Afflicted

I suppose that's why in Vieux-Montréal the walls are all meter-thick Adirondack granite and the mall downtown is all underground. Love that city in the summer, in the winter no thanks.

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

Yep, this is the way. You can wedge yourself in by pushing against the handrail beside the door or the top of the door frame.

[​IMG]

10. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Holic

you can't cheat the feet!

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied

You guys are giving Canadian weather a bad name!

Out here in the Okanagan valley highs are above freezing but the ski hill is just below freezing. Perfect skiing weather!

12. flathd

flathd Friend of Leo's

I like winter boots and have several pair, including Sorels. I like the Sorels for working outdoors, or longer periods outside.

The most comfortable ones I have are called ULU's, good for walking through snow, etc. They look strange, but have good traction, are waterproof, and keep the snow out. When it's icy, I put on some metal cleats for traction.

Attached Files:

13. StuH

StuH Friend of Leo's

After having lived in the Yukon territory for 18 years, I can not sympathize with stories about cold weather.

I had a cigarette on the front porch 4 weeks ago and the thermometer was reading - 50 Celcius

You can tell people are extra wimpy :D when they have to factor in wind chill.

14. DuncanAngus

DuncanAngus Tele-Afflicted

Here in Boston we get the Montreal Express. A modified version of your weather, but not a lot.

I've had the same pair of Sorels for 20+ years. Fairly expensive to buy, but the last boot you'll ever need.

15. flathd

flathd Friend of Leo's

Code:

Having a cigarette on the porch isn't the same as being outdoors for the whole day. Wimpy or not, the windchill does make a big difference.

16. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

Clunky and warm beats sleek and stylish by a long shot...especially when its that cold..youre in serious "do me harm" territory when it gets that cold...

Ive been in Alaska 40 years and have had my share of stuff like sleeping in a nearly unheated cabin at 35 below...and changing a tire at 20 below...was in Fairbanks last month..it was 38 below when I arrived but warmed up to 25 below as the day wore on...

I still see dummies driving in a tshirts and cargo shorts..if they got a flat or the car broke down they are in world of hurt when its that cold...mother nature isnt kidding.....

IMHO...the best cold weather boots ...and I dont think they make them anymore..were moon boots...modeled after what the astronauts wore on the moon...light and warm...they were faierly inexpensive...would buy the kids a new pair in the fall....

17. Chris Browne

Chris Browne Tele-Holic

Man, I'm so cold here I could be wearing those inside the house!

18. Bryan

Bryan Tele-Holic

I bought my first Sorel boots a few weeks ago. Even after reading up on them I was still surprised how warm they are, which has been nice given the weather lately.

19. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity

I was in Montreal a couple of years ago and it was raining and about 5C on New Year's Eve.

20. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Back to normal winter temperatures, spend the day outside watching the sled dog races, will try to post pics tomorrow. Wore my Sorels.

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

21. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted

I have Sorels, aussi, but the work version. I'll be heading out to an oil refinery turnaround north of Fort McMurray, Alberta in a couple of weeks. My Sorels will be going with me. I was there last winter from January to March and it gets cold up there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.