Sooo this happened... Broken Ovation Acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Charliedf, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Charliedf

Charliedf TDPRI Member

I have a bit of an issue with my 1978 Ovation 1612

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1422492874.803578.jpg

The body has cracked right underneath the bridge. Anyone have any advice at to how to fix this or where to take it to get it fixed.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1422492966.779135.jpg

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1422493030.300823.jpg

Not entirely sure how this happened, the guitar has been in storage for a few years.

Thanks, Charlie

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

How it happened may have been caused by the body swelling or drying out and that in combination with the string tension pulled the bridge loose. Do you know of a good luthier in you area? That's not a DIY kind of repair.

3. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

It likely happened because it got too dry and the stress made the top crack and weakened the glue bond under the bridge.

Fixing is going to involve humidifying it until the wood swells back into position, likely repairing at least one brace, cleating the back of the crack in a couple of places, removing and re-gluing the bridge, and admonishing you not to let it get so dry ;-)

4. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Koko's got it right.

5. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Same thing happened to mine. Now I de tune all my acoustics when they get stored for any length of time. My bridge actually broke in two. Top ended up with extra gouges from removing the old bridge. My crack wasn't as big. She's held for 15 years now though she doesn't get played much now. Good luck on the repair.

6. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Blast it, my old Ovation 12 is starting to do the same thing. How do you keep one of these things humidified when it stays in the back of the closet 360 days a year?

7. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

…also, don't store the guitar in a place that will over heat - heat also weakens many glue bonds, making it easier for the bridge to separate from the top.

8. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

Charlie, I strongly urge you to take that lovely Custom Balladeer to Appalachian Bluegrass in Catonsville for an estimate. I've had both of my old Martins repaired there, and was very happy with the work, the prices, and the turnaround time. I have no connection except as a satisfied customer.

9. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

They make a humidifier out of tubing with holes in it a piece of material inside that soaks up water. Every few months take it out add some water to the tube, and put back into the sound hole. Cheap protection.

Grover 7960 Acoustic Soundhole Humidifier Guitar Sound Hole Care Kit. $10.00 off e-bay. There are some better made ones or you can do it yourself if you like making stuff. Surgical tubing, couple wooden plugs, drill and a piece of felt.

10. nogin007

nogin007 Tele-Meister

Are you the original owner? If so, it might be covered by warranty. I don't know, since Ovation has been sold. I have a friend that has the same model. A few years ago, the top on his split. He contacted Ovation, and was told to send it back for evaluation. They replaced the top, and repaired other minor things, and it didn't cost him anything. Good luck.

11. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

12. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I have an old Ovation which the bridge came loose on. I took it to my local luthier who had it for a couple of weeks. He brought it out and opened the case and the bridge had popped loose again. I just took it home and reglued it myself and drilled three holes in the bridge and through the body and put three countersunk machine screws through the bridge into the body. on the inside I put washers and lock nuts on and it's been about 7 or 8 years now and it's still holding. I even added a Bowden B-Bender unit to the guitar (see picture).... In the second picture you can see the crack in the top of the guitar. Luckily it's only in the finish (so far)...

Almost all Ovations will crack over time as the top is wood and the bottom is that synthetic material which won't move. The wooden top expands and contracts while the back doesn't and that's what causes the cracks and some separation..........JH in Va.

Attached Files:

13. Crawfish

Crawfish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've used the JLD on a couple of guitars and it works well. A number of Breedlove guitars come with it stock.

However, I don't think it will work on an Ovation because there is no end block because of the way it's built. The JLD needs to anchor on the neck block end of the guitar.

-Kevin

14. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Humidity...humidity...HUMIDITY! Unfortunately the top dried out enough to crack. Sad thing, but fixable by a good luthier. As said above, they will humidify the guitar back to normal where they can work with the wood, and then glue/cleat the crack. Provided that you keep the guitar within +/- 40% humidity, it will last a long time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.