Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sonic stomp

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jomazq, Jan 2, 2018.

1. jomazq

jomazq Tele-Meister

Jan 22, 2010
    whittier, ca
    Why just one?. I stack drive pedals all the time. Sometimes the same pedal twice. Like that one time I borrowed a second ds1 just to see what would happen. It was ok.

I remember Billy gibbons talking about connecting several Foxx time machines in line.

What would happen if you stacked two bbe Sonic stomp pedals? Or, three, or four?

Just curious.

2. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Dec 14, 2011
    Oakton, VA, USA
    Utter disappointment?

radiocaster and jomazq like this.

3. Noface

Noface TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    I used a sonic stomp for years. It’s more of a studio rather than a live performance tool for me. I don’t see any advantage to stacking. But, no harm in trying I suppose.

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    That would be my guess also.

OP, if you have to ask that question you really have no idea what the BBE process does.

5. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't either. What does the BBE process do?

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    It time aligns and adjusts amplitude of different frequencies so they hit speaker cone (and your ears) at proper time and level.

Why Is Live Sound So Pleasing?
    When we listen to live music, all of the highs and lows reach our ears in the same relationship to each other as when they were created by the instruments. If this same live music were to be recorded and played back through a loudspeaker system, the loudspeaker would introduce frequency-dependent phase shifting. The inductance of the speaker's voice coil creates a stronger impedance as the signal's frequency increases, resulting in a time delay. Consequently, frequency components with large negative phase shifts (high frequencies) arrive at the listener's ear later than signals undergoing small phase shifts (low frequencies). The resultant signal is distorted in the time domain to the listener's ear. Audio material containing sharp transients (e.g., percussive and plucked sounds such as drums, guitar, piano and harpsichord, etc.) suffers the most from this phenomenon, making it seem unfocused, or mushy.

In order to address these problems inherent in basic loudspeaker design, BBE Sound, Inc. has developed a circuit that has two primary functions. The first adjusts the phase relationships of the low, mid and high frequencies. Since a loudspeaker's natural tendency is to add progressively longer delay times to higher frequencies, the BBE sound processing system adds progressively longer delay times to lower frequencies. This creates a kind of "mirror" curve to the time delay curve created by the speaker, neutralizing its phase distortion.

The second major element in the BBE system is the augmentation of the higher and lower frequencies. Loudspeakers tend to be less efficient in their extreme treble and bass ranges. Most sound-reproducing systems include a circuit for boosting high and low frequencies, showing an accepted awareness of the loudspeaker's efficiency problem. The BBE system, however, provides a dynamic, program-driven augmentation which combines with the phase compensation feature to restore the brilliance and clarity of the original live sound. The result is, as one professional journal phrased it, "The most hearable advance in audio technology since high fidelity itself!"

jomazq and richiek65 like this.

7. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    I reckon it would form some kind of flux capacitor: 88 miles an hour and you will be dealing with Doc Brown at the Under The Sea Dance

jddub440 and jomazq like this.

8. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    JustNick gives a pretty good explanation.

jomazq and hongaku like this.

9. jomazq

jomazq Tele-Meister

Jan 22, 2010
    whittier, ca
    So, my thing about this is that : if the answer to phase distortion at the speaker cone is to stagger frequency across a cycle, then, why not two. The phase wrapping doesn't seem to be dynamic.

10. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2015
    Tacoma
    It's you cousin, Marvin.....Marvin Berry! You know that new sound you been lookin' for??....well listen to this!

Piggy Stu and Noface like this.

11. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Well if the 1st BBE aligns the freq to come out of speaker cone at same time, wouldn't the 2nd one in chain actually be unaligning them again but in reverse, actually applying to much delay to the high freq? The 2nd unit in line is totally unaware that there's another BBE in front of it that has already fixed the phase problem. It will be trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

I guess maybe it might sound cool as a effect.

12. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    The way I've done it was to set the distortion very low and the level not above unity on the first one. I tried with high distortion on the first one and didn't like it. I like a fuzz for the second, but not everyone is into the same sounds and settings, I'm sure.

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    What distortion? There is no distortion on a BBE. It doesn't do anything but clean and some light eq shaping.

14. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Sorry I posted off topic.

15. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    That's along the lines of what I was thinking. It already did what it does. Doubling them up seems like it would highlight the parts it doesn't treat perfectly, or undo what it did.

Beats me, buy two and let us know!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018

16. jomazq

jomazq Tele-Meister

Jan 22, 2010
    whittier, ca
    Uh oh... Looks like I've got a homework assignment now....

:twisted:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.