Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Sonic Research turbo tuner

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by steam-powered, Apr 4, 2017.

1. steam-powered

steam-powered Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2013
    Midwest
    Until last week I'd never heard of Sonic Research, a company that only makes pedal tuners, so I thought I'd share my experience thus far. On Friday I decided to search online for a "Made in the USA" pedal tuner and found quite a few positive reviews on their Turbo Tuner. The company website didn't inspire confidence but, as a veteran, I try to purchase "made in USA" products whenever possible (and/or economically feasible), and on Saturday placed an order for the full size tuner (ST-300).

Yesterday afternoon, while checking my email at work, I entered the tracking number and was surprised to see that USPS had it listed as "delivered". I thought it must be an error (it's happened before, listing a package as "delivered" but receiving it the next day) but the package was in my mailbox. First time I received a pedal one business day after ordering!

Anybody else familiar with this company? The tuner seems well-built, is quick, while the company has minimal internet presence. One would think that every major music store would want to stock a made in USA tuner, right?

2. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I've got one and love it. Shipping was quick, yes.

3. Galibier_Un

Galibier_Un Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2016
    Colorado
    Big favorite over on TGP. I picked up an older model in about 2010 (before they made stompbox). Reports are that the newer versions (200 & then 300) are even better.

... Thom

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

Apr 29, 2011
    Detroit Metro
    My favorite tuner

6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    My favorite, too. I keep coming back to it.

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    My bass player has one. I want one. My Peterson is just too big.

8. Kelsey

Kelsey Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    My favorite as well -- I own two of them. Fast and accurate. A soft touch switch and a read out that's visible in bright sunlight would be the only improvements I would want.

9. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Meister

The only tuner I use.

10. Just Dropped In

Just Dropped In TDPRI Member

Sep 12, 2015
    USA
    It may be the most important pedal on my board, lol. I "lol" because tuning by ear is not my forte. Works incredible for intonation as well.

11. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    United States
    By far my favorite tuner!!

12. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

Apr 29, 2011
    Detroit Metro
    I still love my Peterson but it was too big. Now it sits on my bench for setups. The TT is much more board friendly.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  13. ebb soul

ebb soul Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I'm on the fence between this one and T.C.
    Ease of half step down and open tuning are upmost.
    I have problems tuning acoustics in loud rooms of instruments playing.
    Would not the turbo suffer the same as most string sencing tuners or not? Vrs resonance sensing?

14. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    I have an ST-200 bought on the recommendation of several on TDPRI. It's superb. Extremely accurate and gets a guitar in tune without any tweaking of the tuning after you use it to tune up, unlike some other, less accurate tuners. You don't have to get the spinning display to stop completely...when it's barely moving you're fine. Much more accurate than my previous Korg Pitchblack and an EXCELLENT tuner for playing live.

I haven't tried the newer ST-300.

15. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 11, 2013
    Hamilton, Ontario
    It's insanely good for intonation - I was shocked the first time I intonated with the guitar on the bench on its back, and then could visually see the change in intonation when the guitar was oriented vertically.

16. 410DeVille

410DeVille Tele-Meister

May 26, 2012
    USA
    I have the ST-300. Best tuner I've ever owned and great for setting intonation also.

SteveC356 likes this.
  17. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston
    I've used a TU-2, a pitchblack and the Polytune previously - all did the job, but the ST-200 does it faster and better than all of them IMO.

18. steam-powered

steam-powered Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2013
    Midwest
    Same here, adjusting intonation was never so easy!

19. stratology

stratology Tele-Meister

Feb 12, 2007
    Ireland
    ST-200 here, excellent tuner.

20. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Tele-Meister

Sep 9, 2011
    Aiken SC
    Agree with this and all the other positives, would use nothing other than my ST-200. BUT...

...an advantage not everyone knows of (I only realized it recently, although the info has been out there all along) is that, unlike any other pedal I've ever owned, you do not drain the battery by leaving your instrument cable/patch cable plugged in. The circuit doesn't engage until you actually press the switch, so you can leave it on the board, plugged in, without having to use any outlets from your power brick.

21. stratology

stratology Tele-Meister

Feb 12, 2007
    Ireland
    I'm actually going to retire it, along with all my other pedals, after switching to a Kemper...

Still, great pedal, very precise tuner, well built...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.