Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Sonic Blue vs. Daphne Blue....

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Joe M, May 3, 2004.

1. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Is there a difference between these two colors? Fender's newest color chart doesn't list sonic blue but in some of their older literature, sonic blue looks just like daphne blue.

2. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Tele-Afflicted

sonic is lighter than daphne. they are hard to photograph the difference, lighting alone will cause the photo color change enough to be able to accurately tell the difference. i like sonic better. more of a baby blue.
    johnny atomic

3. timgreene

timgreene Tele-Afflicted

Daphne Blue

Is just a shade are too darker, than sonic.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]
    Sonic Blue
    What a color! It will work on any style solidbody but is especially revelent to the Mustang. Why Fender liked the color so much for the Mustang is a question left to be answered. However, the dirth of Strats and P-Basses finished in the color make them much more desirable. A very easy color to apply and when clear coated will age with grace.

[​IMG]
    Daphne Blue
    Daphne Blue
    Daphne Blue found its way into the Fender color scheme in 1960 and stayed until 1965. Originally an automotive color, it was offered only on the 1958 Cadillac. Like many of the colors from the Custom Color era it is again offered by Fender. Slightly darker than Sonic Blue, Daphne Blue can be warmed and aged with a clear coating of nitrocellulose lacquer. A white primer is recommended for more efficient covering.

All this above from the Reranch site

www.reranch.com
    [/img]

6. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks guys :D

7. inertian

inertian Tele-Holic

Another example

Here we have bdkphoto's custom built Sonic Blue Tele on the left, my own Highway 1 Daphne Blue (transparent) Tele on the right:

<center>
    [​IMG]

8. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

Definitely true that colors, even if the original photo is close, don't show up accurately on the web, so many variables from computer to computer. Daphne blue is a little darker, as pointed out, I also think it's a little greener than sonic blue, which to me is a more "neutral" blue, if that makes sense.

[​IMG]

my sonic blue, looks relatively close on my computer

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.