Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Songs you love, but hate to play

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Southpaw Tele, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    Being asked to play A Mighty Fortress today. There's a chord change every beat. I told our 60 something worship leader (PS she's a sweet heart, but old school). I'll strum a G chord and then sit down. I tried only playing some of the chords as I practiced last night but man, love the hymn, but hate playing it. Anyone else have songs they love, but hate to play?

Jim W likes this.

2. SnowStorm

SnowStorm Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    Chris Tomin's "Indescribable" is one of my favorite songs but it never worked when I tried to play it on the guitar. Things just sounded flat, repetitive and uninteresting. This changed about a week ago when I was playing with my son. He has been working on the piano and when he added the chords with suspended changes at various points the song came alive. I was joking with him that I've had this song in my folder and it has only taken 13 years to get it to the point where I would try playing it at church.

I know what you mean about a chord change on every beat. I've noticed from time to time that songs don't sound right when I play them on the guitar because the chords change at strange intervals (usually too quickly). It hit me one day that those songs were usually documented by a piano player. I typically don't like the chord listings when the piano guy puts them on the chart. I'll usually take their suggestion and tweak it. Hopefully I won't end up with an entire song of a G chord like you mentioned. lol

Southpaw Tele likes this.

3. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    I agree A Mighty Fortress is a ***** to play. Our Praise team played it. My wife is a schooled classical pianist, so she we worked up a chord chart for me. Basically she left out a bunch of the chords, it worked out pretty well. Still a cool song but not easy to play. I still can't play "old 100th". Leaving chords out works with the traditional Christmas Hymns.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Southpaw Tele

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    I use the much overused dotted 8th delay on that song, playing rhythm guitar. Our keyboard player does the little lead line stuff and it sounds pretty decent.

6. Southpaw Tele

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    So, we ended up just letting the pianist and vocalists do the song. We have an odd setup on our team (me - electric guitar, mostly rhythm, drummer, piano, accordion...yes, accordion, but he covers keyboard sounds and bassline on it, and 3 vocalists). Yesterday, the accordion guy was gone, so the drummer and I decided to sit the song out. I tried only playing some of the chords, but then she key changed us and I gave up. Lol

7. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Holic

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    We had this problem often when we'd get chord charts from CCLI. But I think those chord charts are intended for piano and so we would often strip them down to their bare bones and build them up from there. Man, I remember looking at what seemed like really simple songs and being intimidated by all the changes. Really unnecessary.

8. Wildwind

Wildwind TDPRI Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Lansing, Michigan
    I'm on the other side of the fence usually. I enjoy playing songs I'd rather not listen to.

As for "Indescribable" and "Fortress" - I have struggled with those as well. I did find enjoyable guitar parts eventually, ending my suffering. Most of the songs we're doing now are pretty guitar-driven - lots of interesting parts for me (and at times quite a challenge to learn) while the bass and drums are all but bored. But it's a great time to be a worship guitarist and I think learning all those parts keeps my brain from getting too mushy.

9. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2015
    Orygun
    CCLI is awful for lead and chord sheets... but they let you pay your fees.

10. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2012
    Birmingham Alabama
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 9:37 PM

11. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2012
    Birmingham Alabama
    Oh man LOVE playing that solo on electric!

blille likes this.

12. Southpaw Tele

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    I need to add that Christmas is an especially tough time for me on guitar.

thatkeithmorris and JuneauMike like this.

13. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Holic

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    I wonder if its because Christmas music (or at least the Christmas songs I'm thinking of in this context) are so piano driven. Hmm. But yeah, I totally agree. Some of the Christmas service songs I remember usually look like alphabet soup with chord changes almost on every beat.

14. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2015
    Orygun
    And, if you're playing an orchestral guitar part, they're probably correct. The problem is that you have to pick and choose and use partials for it to sound good (usually). The other issue is that those are usually written by a non-guitarist - and jazz guitar notation is a little different than classical theory when naming chords....

15. blille

blille Tele-Meister

YES.

There's no way around it, no cool pentatonic line flavor of the day that will make me feel better about it.

I have to learn a bunch of songs that I'm only going to play once and are... Xmas songs.

BUT, praise the Lord. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017 at 3:58 PM

16. blille

blille Tele-Meister

My experience is different. We usually get a "new arrangement" by Paul Baloche or Tomlin so we get a simplified version with a squeezed in extra chorus.

The style I play apart from worship is jazz so I wouldn't mind at all doing the traditional chords.

mRtINY likes this.

17. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2012
    Birmingham Alabama
    I'm just the opposite I LOVE playing Christmas stuff on guitar! Been threatening to do a Christmas CD for a few years. LOVE LOVE LOVE hard slamming rocking Christmas stuff that keeps the melodies intact to some extent.
    This was a practice recording of an arrangement to God rest ye we used a few years back want to do a full on CD of stuff like this!!
    https://app.box.com/shared/qim033vcxp

18. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2012
    Birmingham Alabama
    Old friend of mine does an annual Christmas thing called One Silent Night that is just amazing. Tears TSO a big time new one in particular on Carrol Of the bells here.
    Neal ZAZA is the guys name and his Christmas stuff s just jaw dropping.
    Carol Of the Bells

But this is truly SICK!! Neils Rhapsody in Z will floor you!

Or his Little drummer boy!

O come O Come

stlramman likes this.

19. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2012
    Birmingham Alabama
    More musical sickness from Neil Check this one out for a Christmas arrangement. I's a hybrid of Dream on and What Child with Ripper Owens on vocals LOL.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.