Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Songs you dislike playing

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by uriah1, Apr 30, 2017.

1. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    ha! Can't You See

I hate playing that one too. One of the dumbest, repetitive songs ever written. Just hate it.

brookdalebill likes this.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    If I never ever play Workin Man again in this lifetime I will be happy for that one thing

brookdalebill likes this.

3. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Rockin' Pneumonia was originally from '57. Huey "Piano" Smith and his Clowns. They beat the later version to death on the radio, I don't like either one much.

4. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    For me, I immensely enjoy playing music so - the nights where we had "Brown-Eyed Girl", "Wonderful Tonight", or "Sweet Home Alabama" in the list, I still enjoyed it even though those songs have been played to death.

One reason: I'm blessed to still be here at nearly 41 years of age. My whole story could have turned out different if the doctors had been correct in their diagnosis: Very, very small to no chance of survival (3 mos. premature, small enough to fit in your hand, mild Cerbral Palsy & Hydrocephalus. Won't live to see his fifth birthday - and if he does even live, period, he'll be in a vegetative state and be in an institution) so........I'm very, very, very thankful that I've been gifted with the ability to play music when it very well could have been the other way around (not here at all or very severely disabled).

5. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Any song some drunk rudely yells at you while you are in the middle of a song.

They are usually the same ones, because drunks all like the same stupid stuff haha

The badonkadonk is never gonna ask you to play what you wanna play.

8barlouie likes this.

6. DarkKnight37

DarkKnight37 Tele-Meister

May 21, 2016
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I play a lot of modern mainstream "country" and I despise it. Thankfully, I've been able to find ways to enjoy playing the songs by trying to do things I'd never try on songs I like and respect.

I used to play in a band that played a lot of swamp pop and for a while I was really sick of playing it. I don't mind so much these days, though. I'll play pretty much whatever and not complain. Getting paid at the end of the night has a lot to do with that...

7. AnAxeNamedBeverly

AnAxeNamedBeverly Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    SC
    I stopped playing Wagon Wheel when I realized every college kid in the world does a cover of it. For a minute there it was getting played 10 times a night on the jukebox, then Hootie covered it.
    Totally ruined it for me.

8. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Key to the Highway. No matter how many times I try, I simply don't hear the chord changes in that song.

9. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

I play in a variety of cover bands. One I play in does the song Brightside by the Killers. It doesn't bother me that it isn't the kind of music I listen too. And I like playing stuff that makes me work for it but this tune must have the worst guitar tone in recorded history and the stretches are crazy and uncomfortable especially on a longer scale neck. It's unnecessary. In my opinion The guitarist was trying to show off but he should have concentrated more on being musical than going for crazy stretches.

Even worse, we do some tunes that are synth songs that just don't carry well on guitar, like Ice Ice Baby. You could completely rework it and turn it into a guitar song but they try to pay it straight. I don't get it at all. It doesn't translate well and even worse it's the most boring song in all creation. It's so bad it's weaponized, guaranteed to kill your audience.

Two other tunes and arguably even worse, Blister in the Sun, It's like a trashy Hokey Pokey, and the song Laid by James. Super boring to play and weird. Sorry, I can't relate to those lyrics even at a great distance...like millions of miles. I look at those songs as a breaks. Turn your brain off and pretend you're in your happy place.

10. mauer62

mauer62 Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2016
    Oregon
    Anything by Springsteen and Georgia satellites keep your hands to yourself. I quit a cover band many years ago because they had those on their playlist and I refused to play them. I told them I would rather clean toilets.

8barlouie likes this.

11. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2016
    Oshkosh, B'gosh
    The band that I'm in plays a lot of the songs mentioned here. Where I live, if you want to work, you've got to play these songs. What works for me is to concentrate on playing them as well as I can, getting the best tone that me and my gear can get, and changing things up from time to time by trying different things in a solo or a rhythm part. By doing these things, I'm not constantly thinking about how much I hate playing Takin' Care of Business or whatever. I know a lot of folks that just can't do it, and that's cool. I love to play in front of people and make them smile with my playing, though, so I do it. I can play the stuff that I like when I'm at home.

12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I was in a duo with a girl singer/guitarist and her backing tracks. She did "The Wind Beneath My Wings." (Shiver!)

brookdalebill and 1955 like this.

13. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Whenever I hear that song, I start having violent thoughts. Like the kind that would make Jack Torrance shrivel up and go home. Oh dear, I have said too much already.

Paul in Colorado likes this.

14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I have the rare pleasure of playing this little jewel fairly regularly at my Tuesday lounge gig.
    The boss dedicates it to his wife.
    Nice.
    It's up there with My Way, You're Having My Baby, New York New York, and It Was A Very Good Year in the pantheon of musical brownies.
    Yeah buddy, I jes luv em'!

Paul in Colorado likes this.

15. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    I've been in the gas-station of life where I was cleaning toilets on a Tuesday, and on the way home "Hands To Yourself" was on the radio, and I didn't even change the station. That was my TUESDAY! And you don't even want to know the songs I played on Friday! Somewhere along the way, I took a wrong turn, but I eventually managed to get to the place where I cleaned the toilet on a Tuesday and played what I wanted to play on Friday. Then I played on Tuesday, the toilet was nasty on Wed. Then, no toilets, then clean the toilet on Monday. The songs ARE the toilets! Whoever decides what everyone wants to hear needs a knee to the whiskers.

mauer62 likes this.

16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Mustang Sally never bothered me, but we played it fast and funky-pretty far removed from the original. My part was very much inspired by Nile Rodgers, if that gives you an idea of how we did it. Now Lodi, on the other hand, bored me to tears. I fussed over it enough that it became a running inside joke. But I played it.

17. Paul in Colorado

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    People in Ohio think it's about their Lodi. But it's not.

18. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    Man, my cover band plays a lot of these! We have never gone so low as Margaritaville, Mustang Sally, Brown Eyed Girl, Sweet Home Alabama, or Freebird.

Though I have been known to play Brown Eyed Girl or Margaritaville at an open mic and once played the verse chord progression from Freebird when someone yelled it out. I stopped abruptly and the singer quickly told the crowd, "No, we're not playing that." :)

Edit: typo

8barlouie likes this.

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    California and New Jersey, too.

20. Paul in Colorado

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    And "Born on the Bayou" is about the California Sacramento River Delta area. As I recall the Fogerty family went there in the summer. Sure he was influenced by Louisiana, but that wasn't the delta he knew. Lodi is up by Sacramento in the Central Valley.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.