Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Songs you dislike playing

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by uriah1, Apr 30, 2017.

1. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    Too funny. I'm a lifelong drummer and when I was in HS in the 60's and mentioned that I was a drummer, the first question always asked was "do you know Wipeout?" If you couldn't play it, you weren't really a drummer.

Bob M and Mjark like this.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Oh yea, "wipeout"...yea...sometimes "dirty water" was a necessity..actually I miss that song..

DonM likes this.

3. DonM

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    And as a drummer, I always insisted on the DC5 version of Do You Love Me. It was more fun to play.

uriah1 likes this.

4. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    Walk of Life
    Green Grass and High Tide
    Free bird
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Hold on Loosely,
    I could list many more, but I'm just burned out so they all sound hard and tiresome.

5. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    More songs in cowboy chord predictability like G, C, D etc

6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I never played Old Time R and R, but I would have hated it right off the bat. It plods. It has a sing-song, nursery-rhyme quality in its deep structure (not on the surface, of course).

In my day, the equivalent for me was Your Mama Don't Dance, and Rocking Pneumonia and the Boogie-Woogie Flu. These are like uncanny valley versions of rock and roll.

Minimalist518 likes this.

7. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    I was in a band that did "Mad World" by Tears For Fears. What a BORING song.
    The tempo is lugubrious and the mopey sing-song melody, both verse and chorus, never stray from the same tonal center.
    We didn't have a keyboardist, so I played Ebow on it which, for me, only accentuated the flaws I've listed. Ugh. I can't even listen to the song anymore.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I'm sick of all the classic bar band songs.
    I play in lots of bar bands, but we generally avoid the, uh, classics unless requested.
    Once requested, we cheerfully and competently execute them.
    The songs, not the requestors.
    I really hate the maudlin ones.
    Green Green Grass Of Home, nothing to like about it, boring to play, simplistic, and maudlin.
    Statue Of A Fool is another.
    He Stopped Loving Her Today, especially the recitation, complete with high pitched female cooing, retch.
    Can't You See, snore.
    Wagon Wheel, a fresh-ish one to, uh, love.
    Folsom Prison.
    Sorry.
    Blessedly, I still don't mind Silver Wings and Amarillo.
    Small miracle, I suppose.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Harry Styron and DonM like this.

9. ccotton

ccotton TDPRI Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Ohio
    for me it's any time fan or bandmate asks if we can play "some Nirvana." Just never been a fan.

10. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    There are a few songs I absolutely detest playing because they are hackneyed and cliche and just ... I could go on.

And then, I remember I'm being paid to get people dancing so they get thirsty and buy more beer and whatnot. We don't put the songs in the set list, but if someone requests one of them, and they always seem to, we play it. We aren't there for our own amusement. We're there to amuse others and if Brown-Eyed Girl amuses them, so be it...

11. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    The first time we got together to play, a jamming buddy wanted to do "Hotel California"; I politely but flatly refused. There's never a first time for some things. :)

Minimalist518 likes this.

12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I'm a Blues player and do a fair amout of pick-up gigs.
    For me, selection A1A on the Blues Jukebox From Hell is Messin' With The Kid.
    Nobody knows when to play that unison line, so they just do it at the end of EVERY chorus.

Mike Simpson likes this.

13. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    Sweet Home Alabama. I dislike it that much that I'd immediately quit a band playing it.
    There are other songs, but this is the one absolute no-go for me.

14. Walker

Walker Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2007
    CT
    This is why people love DJs

15. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Sometimes songs, like language mutate, even Jr. Wells performed it that way eventually.

16. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    Lodi. No reason except our band butchers that song. I cringe every time it comes up. The rest of the guys like it. I like the song, it's just our version that gags me.

17. Scotty 2

Scotty 2 Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2007
    Ft.Pierce,Florida
    Any modern country music,,,it sounds like bad rock and roll

DarkKnight37 likes this.

18. telecastertodd

telecastertodd Tele-Meister

Dec 9, 2015
    Out West
    "Sweet Child o' Mine" by G & R.

It's just overplayed, and people seem so amazed that anyone but Slash can pull off that opening riff.

I will say that it seems to be a sort of mating call for a certain strata of society. The dance floor fills with drunks.

19. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2006
    Framingham, MA
    There are a lot of songs on my "please God, not again" list. Here are the first three that popped into my head: Wonderful Tonight, Sweet Home Alabama, Ramblin' Man.

20. DonM

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.