Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Sometimes you gotta have Mo Mids!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RetroTeleRod, May 11, 2017.

1. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Recently put my Ibanez JD-9 Jet Driver back on board because sometimes you just gotta have Mo Mids! I know a hopped-up Tube Screamer style pedal should be all wrong for a Vox AC-15, but sometimes you gotta have Mo Mids! I know it should turn my tone to mud, but sometimes you gotta have Mo Mids!
    Seriously though, for those occasions when you might be having trouble carving through a dense mix, the Jet Driver is awesome! Who wouldn't love a budget priced TS style pedal with true bypass, the "correct" JRC4558 chip, a Mid knob and a lot more gain? Mo would be proud!
    [​IMG]

Jakedog, TeleAndSG, blille and 3 others like this.
  2. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I thought we all agreed the proper source of mids is a Rat pedal.

PigBoy, RetroTeleRod and Agitator like this.
  3. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    I've been gradually turning the bass down on my amp since 2004.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    "Too much Mids? What makes you say that?"
    [​IMG]

6. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    I like the JD9 with the mids on about 9 out of 10, with assymetrical clipping mod and less bass cut from the pedal. Sounds awesome.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  7. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    I recently got a couple mid-focused overdrives: cheap ts clone and an sd-1. I find the sd-1 sounds good at any volume whereas the ts clone only sounds decent turnt up. But i can see why the od's that push the mids are useful especially with tubes. Gets that glassy snappy sound.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  8. Austinato

Austinato Tele-Meister

May 13, 2017
    Huntington Beach via Reno
    I recently made the mistake of actually giving the guy at Guitar Center a genuine response when he asked what sort of tone I was looking for: "Well, I don't mean to get too airy fairy with you, but I'm really looking for a sparkly mids kind of sound."

He recommended a compressor. Thanks, dude.

In any case, lately I really like that "glassy" kind of sound that Staypuft eluded to.

Been getting closer to it with a combo of different drive pedals. I've found that I can get that really nice chunky, but sparkly kind of thing I've been going for by combining the Fulltone Full-Drive 2 MOSFET with the Wampler Paisley Drive. On the neck pickup, of course. Always the neck pickup. Never not the neck pickup.

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    What about a smiley face on a graphic EQ?

10. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I put an Arlo Cocked Wah on the bridge pickup of one of my HH guitars for more mids under distortion.
    You could also try an actual Wah half cocked with your JD pedal.

11. Austinato

Austinato Tele-Meister

May 13, 2017
    Wouldn't that be a frowny face if we're looking for —**ahem**— MO MIDS?

(am I doing that right? that "MO MIDS" thingy?)

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Haaaa, you're absolutely right. I read it as "no" mids, but of course mids are what TS pedals are all about. I guess that is the reason I sold all of my TS variants, because I didn't like all of those MO mids and perhaps why I subliminally read it that way. Never a TS again in my lifetime, but oh well, Retrotelerod will tire of it soon enough. He is basically trying to stall for a new OD/fuzz pedal until 2018 anyway.;)

E5RSY and RetroTeleRod like this.
  13. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    :lol: I don't buy dirt pedals any more, I just switch them out every few days (or hours!);)

Obsessed and Staypuft1652 like this.
  14. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Friend of Leo's

Plus you're under quarantine from purchasing anything new for another 6 1/2 months.:p

Does you ankle bracelet send out an alert when you enter a music store?:lol:

RetroTeleRod and Staypuft1652 like this.
  15. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Holic

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    My mids on an amp are usually up to at least 3 o'clock. Then I use a TS type OD. I understand.

Edit: typo

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  16. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Well, mids help you to get more distortion, and if they're well equalized, you shouldn't have "mud" problems. "Mo mids" is what the folks at Marshall amplification thought of when they were designing the Plexis.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  17. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    IMG_1121.JPG
    Just in case, here's a picture of my amp's eq settings (Bassbreaker 007 combo) where the mids knob implies, ejm, Mo mids, Mo drive, Mo volume, and perhaps a bit Mo of everything. And if I want even Mo, now I know which pedal I should get :)

RetroTeleRod and Staypuft1652 like this.
  18. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    JD-9 settings last night...
    Drive - off
    Volume, Mid and Tone all at noon.

Sweet

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  19. Austinato

Austinato Tele-Meister

May 13, 2017
    I stopped into the Lake Forest Guitar Center because I was in the area and wanted to wait for traffic on the 405 to calm down and, lo and behold, they just happened to have a JD9 in the used pedal case.

I didn't even think twice about buying it, as it was only $40. Not sure about the pedal's previous owner, but the thing looked brand new and when I got it outside and opened up the battery access panel, that was basically confirmed as it still had the plastic wrapped factory battery in it.

It's my first ever Ibanez pedal and I have one complaint right off: the foot switch sucks. It's, like, I don't know. . . not very accessible, I guess?? I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's gonna take a bit of practice, which is kind of annoying. I mean, a foot switch should just be there to use. There shouldn't be any learning curve.

Anyway, right off, I love the sound of it. It's a really friggin' loud pedal, much past my needs. But, hey, it allows for another flavor in that nice, mushy area with just a bit of break up that I'm really into using for lead melodies these days.

Only played it on my Jazzmaster so far. I'll probably see how it talks to my Tele tomorrow when nobody's home and I can get loud without worrying about bothering anyone.

Staypuft1652 and RetroTeleRod like this.
  20. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Congrats! Definitely agree about the switch, not the best out there. In addition mine is the 1st generation model that pops when you turn it on. (11 gauge noted that this has been fixed in the later models) Switch issues aside, I love the sound of this marvelous little box!:)

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  21. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2012
    Bristol UK
    Yep! Master at 0... that should get you the best sound with those settings! :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.