Something very cool and historic

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RogerC, Mar 24, 2017.

1. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Now that I've finished Jack's guitar and the NTB guitar, it's time to get started on some more commissions. Sorry, this is going to be a longish post...

There's a venue in Tulsa called Cain's Ballroom that's been an historic music hall for decades. It was built in 1924 and was the place from where Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys used to broadcast their first radio show, and it earned the nickname The Carnegie Hall of Western Swing. Besides Bob Wills, it hosted other notable greats like Ernest Tubb, Hank Williams Sr, and Tex Ritter.

It was also a hopping dance hall at that time, famous for it's spring loaded, maple floor laid out in a concentric square pattern. There are still folks around Tulsa who have very fond memories of the dances at Cains. Another of it's distinctive features is the 4' neon star in the middle of the roof above the dance floor.

[​IMG]

There was a period during the '60s where the place fell into disrepair, but luckily it was purchased and brought back to life in time to see some great modern bands come through, including Jerry Lee Lewis, George Clinton, Jack White, Elvis Costello, and Beck. One of the most seemingly-odd for Tulsa was the Sex Pistols. Cain's was one of only 7 stops on their 1978 US tour.

[​IMG]

Today, Cain's is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is an iconic building in Tulsa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now for the fun part. I was able to get in touch with the family that owns Cain's, and they've given me some of the original flooring to build 4 guitars. 2 of them will be for Cain's, 1 will be a donation guitar to raise money for Tulsa Public Schools music education, and 1 will be part of my Heritage Series (more on that later).

[​IMG]

The 2 for Cain's will each be done in a different style. 1 will be classic tele with a maple neck and fretboard. I'll probably make the pickguard from an old Bob Wills record. And to bring in another Cain's feature, I'll likely inlay the star in the upper horn. The venue owner asked if I could inlay CAIN'S down the fretboard, so that'll probably happen as well.

Still haven't decided on the style for the 2nd, but I think I'd like to make it more punk-ish to pay tribute to when the Sex Pistols played there. And I'll probably inlay the L-shaped neon sign so that it basically rests behind and below the bridge.

The one for TPS music education I've not got a clue on just yet.

The 4th guitar is for Dog Tired. I've got a series of guitars called the Heritage Series. These are a limited run. There are 77 counties in Oklahoma, and my goal is to get wood from 1 old structure in each county and build one guitar out of that structure. It'll come with a detailed history, certificate of authenticity, and some professional photos of the structure as well. My original idea wasn't to necessarily use historic structures, but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to use this wood.

For all the guitars, I'm not going to put any other finish on the bodies. I'll just clean up the maple and let the history come through with the worn, dented, finish of the old floor. Also, each guitar will have a custom neck plate with the plain CAIN'S font and number in the series (1/4, 2/4, etc).

2. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Roger that is an awesome story. What great history. Great pic of the Sex Pistols :) This should be fun!

RogerC likes this.
  3. erix

erix TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Excellent! Looking forward to the Sex Pistols interpretation!

Arch Stanton and RogerC like this.
  4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

So cool! Subribed to this thread..!

RogerC likes this.
  5. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

I'm subribed too! I think.....

tintag27 and RogerC like this.
  6. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Bob Wills and Hank Sr. I just don't know what to say but if that floor could talk!

OpenG Capo4 and RogerC like this.
  7. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Bob Wills , Hank , Tex , Earnest , there should be enough mojo in those floor pieces for some great guitars . Sounds like a great project Roger .

RogerC likes this.
  8. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Subbed!

RogerC likes this.
  9. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nifty.

RogerC likes this.
  10. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Excellent creativity, Roger, as always.
    Don't let the Texas swing juju leak out when your machining those boards.

RogerC likes this.
  11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Let's go!

BTW, how many counties have ya done so far?

RogerC likes this.
  12. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Too cool. I love the reclaimed wood.
    I have some Cypress planks that (likely) came from the Balenese after it was destroyed by a storm.

RogerC likes this.
  13. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Your enthusiasm offends my laziness.

14. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

Looks like a good show. Making the popcorn now.

RogerC likes this.
  15. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

How completely cool, I love it!

RogerC likes this.
  16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

77 counties... How far along are you?

Great story, great old wood. The L-shaped neon sign is cool. Brings back childhood memories from some forgotten place.

RogerC likes this.
  17. Dunkerhook

Dunkerhook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Great idea. Watching...

I'd figure out a way to work the star into the design. Not the neon part, but I think it would be cool to include. Inlays, maybe.

Slim and RogerC like this.
  18. RogerC

Thanks, Ricky. Yeah, as much as I live history, I'm really excited about this.

Thanks, Erix.

Thanks.

:D

No kiddin'.

Thanks, Herb.

Thanks.

I think so.

Thanks, Mike. Yeah, I'm going to be pretty careful to preserve the finish and character on the tops.

Oy!

Well here's the thing, I've been so busy with commissioned guitars that I've not been able to get started on my Heritage series, so this will be the first. Let's see... 1 Heritage series guitar every 5 years... 77 counties... I'm currently 43...

:eek::lol:

Very cool!

Well if it's any consolation, your attention to detail and craftsmanship offends my sense of mediocrity :lol:

Thanks!

Thanks, Rick

Thanks, moosie. Yeah, about the counties I've done, see my reply to Jup's post up there. It's ain't pretty :lol:

19. RogerC

Oh, and as if I didn't have enough to get done with guitar and straps, I'm been asked to make 100 pens for clients at work. We always give them something at our big trade show in Vegas in July, and we thought it would be cool to give them something hand made. I've never turned pens before, and work bought all the equipment. I'll get to keep it all once this project is done as part of my payment.

This is the 2nd pen I did. I think it turned out pretty good.

[​IMG]

I got loads of help from Herb (@adirondak5) and @Steve Holt who both have a lot of experience with this.

JazzHands, djh22, DrASATele and 13 others like this.
  20. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

That pen came out great Roger , looks like you've been turning em for a while , most newer turners don't keep such a straight slim taper , good job . Only 98 to go ? :D

CraigB, Barncaster and RogerC like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.