Someone should have told Edward Elgar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rich_S, May 18, 2019.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That there would be 500 college seniors filing into the arena to “Pomp And Circumstance”. Maybe he would have composed something a bit longer than 90 seconds.

The good news is, after P&C was played several dozen times, and all the speeches were spoke, kid #2 graduated from college today.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Mike Eskimo, elihu and TheGoodTexan like this.
  2. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

5c61aaa0-01ba-0134-e748-0a315da82319.jpg

3. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

My graduating class was 1,003. It was recorded on an audio loop player (like we had in broadcasting) with another on standby incase of a failure. Luckily it went smoothly and with minimal &$#@*%$$#!

4. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yeah, this particular group of 500 was the third of three commencement ceremonies today.

I’d post a pic, but I discovered at the end of the 3-hour drive home that I left my camera bag at kid #2’s girlfriends house after the post-graduation cookout.

5. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

Pomp and Circumstance No. 1, the three-part march from which the Trio is excerpted for graduation ceremonies, comes out to about 8:50 when played to the meter prescribed. The march contained in the first and last parts is shed to use only the middle Trio. The Trio contains the tune, "Land of Hope and Glory," which is the bit we all know. It was first used as a graduation processional at Yale in 1905, four years after it was written. Ironically, Elgar was awarded n honorary doctorate of music at that ceremony so he processed to his own piece.

Take a moment (8:50) to go out on YouTube and listen to the whole and find out what you've been missing.

Bob

Harry Styron likes this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That meme should be on billboards all over the country 1 month from today (don’t want to spoil the parties/celebrations but then...)

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  7. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Don't get me wrong... I'm happy for graduates of high school and higher (don't get me started on kindergarten graduations). In fact, I'll be attending a few high school graduation parties over the next few weeks.

However, I think we (westerners, generally speaking) make too much of it. To paraphrase Chris Rock... always wanting credit for something you're supposed to do.

But its good to celebrate good things.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.