some DIY home made tools to help with guitar maintenance

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by 24 track, Sep 5, 2018.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I went through some cataloges and saw a few items that did not warrent their price tags as you could make them yourself for next to nothing , a little fore thought comes in really handy

this Amp cradle is fully adjustable and took 45 minutes to build , cost was 15.00 for 2 drawer glides, so I built 2 if them, and they work perfectly

P1011223.JPG

noah330, darren7, Deneb and 9 others like this.
  2. 24 track

the next item is a device for testing out different caps for tone controls , I will admit this is over kill but is really flexable , you could get the same result with a 2 pin computer connector soldered in to the guitar so that you could replace tone caps or a capacitance bridge to find the value you need

P1011397.JPG P1011398.JPG

noah330, Deneb, tintag27 and 4 others like this.
  3. 24 track

this really simple device is a small magnet in a glass tube N=Black , S=Red if you have ever wondered if a pick up is RPRW this will tell you the polarity of your pickups

P1011997.JPG P1011998.JPG

noah330, Greggorios, jimbo735 and 3 others like this.
  4. 24 track

I made this 30 years ago and have never changed the 9 volt battery in side , its a cable tester made from about 10.00 worth of parts ,
    3 LEDs ,3 Momentary contact switches, 3 resistors, 2 XLR 1 m 1F , 2 female balanced line 1/4 inch jacks , 2 RCA jacks , 1 case and a 9volt battery ,

lasts for ever

P1012001.JPG

noah330, Blue Bill, Deneb and 7 others like this.
  5. 24 track

this little thingy I made this morning , build time 20 minutes, if you ever had to do fret work and dont want to de string your guitar to do it , use this beasty
    it sits behind the neck and allows you to loosen the strings and pull them out of the way and fit the strings behind the wings of the tool , my first 2 I made were out of spring steel , but this one was out of a 6"piece of annodized aluminum covered with shrinktubing and a piece of foam weatherstriping to protect the neck of the guitar.

P1012003.JPG

noah330, Deneb, 65 Champ Amp and 6 others like this.
  6. 24 track

any body who has attepted toput a jack into an ESTD335 or an acoustic knows the frustration after the first 15 minutes , this device is a 2 foot rod with a 1/4 " plug on the end it allows you to feed it through the plug hole and place the female end of the jack onto the 1/4" plug then fish it back through the body to the hole , and hold it in place while the nut and washer are secured in place, I used this so many times its worth its weight in gold!

P1012007.JPG

7. 24 track

these are just a couple of home made goodies I've built , and if the design can help some one have at it , if you have things to add please do , some can use them then excellant

OH I forgot these , If you need to know the resistance of the pickups in a guitar these cables hooked to a multimeter will read the resisitance of the pickup with out removing it from the guitar , also usefull for reading speaker impedance

P1011999.JPG

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    noah330, Deneb, tintag27 and 6 others like this.
  8. 24 track

theres always some thing to forget!
    this is for soldering XLR -M-F 1/4 inch RCA and midi cables . I made this from an old Phone mount that used to stck to the window of your car and some metal plates I had , comes in really handy.

P1012004.JPG

noah330, Larry F, stinkey and 5 others like this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Some good tricks in there!

I did the post#7 for a while and then I made this device. I plug it in when buying a used guitar and I can see what the pickups are or are not. I once had a guy wire the one good pickup to all positions on the switch so playing wouldn't catch it. This did. I've had other problems it's sniffed out in a parking lot making a trade. I just keep it in the car. It was a retired cheap meter. The yellow cap goes on the jack if I really need to use the original probes for voltages but generally I don't.

[​IMG]

I also made this quick notched leveling beam. Cut a strip of steel banding. Notch with tin-snips. Hammer the snip bent edges flat and take burrs off. Cut a slot in a piece of scrap trim to fit the banding and give it a stiff back. Put sandpaper down on something level and sand the edge of the leveling beam flat. I have a regular guitar leveling beam but needed one for a bass setup and this did the trick.

[​IMG]

I subscribed to see what other ideas get posted. Thanks!

jimbo735 and 24 track like this.
  10. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Awesome goodies in there. Thanks both of you. I had a similar device to the one in the 4th posting. It detected continuity, power (low voltage dc) and a signal to test speaker lines and speakers. We called it an idiot box in the shop I used to work in. I put a touch switch on a timer so you could grab it and use it without turning it on and forgetting to turn it off. 9 volt battery. Lasted forever.

24 track likes this.
  11. 24 track

thanks for the replies , I love to see creative people show how they approach common problems ,EXCELLENT!

12. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Cool thread. I hold loosened strings out of the way behind the neck, or clamped behind the headstock, with velcro onewrap (sticks to itself, so only one piece needed) ....
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=232916601780
    Also great cable organizer. 100 for cheap.

24 track likes this.
  13. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Also for working inside 335s and acoustics (all from ebay) ...
    - extendable rod with magnet on end
    - gooseneck with LED light (and magnet) on end
    - 'endoscopic' USB lipstick camera (< $10 on ebay) .. works with PC or phone / tablet .. attached to other gooseneck. Easier than mirror (but I have one of those on rod too).

24 track likes this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Geez. Great thread and excellent DIY tools for our interest/profession/hobby. I nominate this thread for a stickie.

Gabrielle84, awasson and 24 track like this.
  15. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I know that this may not seem quite the same, but this is my wiring harness that runs the router and wi-fi from my off the grid 12VDC ... so that I can get guitar/pedal/amp help from my TDPRI friends.:D IMG_2889.JPG

jimbo735 and 24 track like this.
  16. 24 track

alot of these items I have made I saw in the Stewmac catalog retailing for 10-15.00 . and I could not believe it , why buy it if you can make it ? , but usually you never know what you need till the situation arrises

Thank you,
    you reminded me I forgot about these a telescopic mirror that I made and a goose neck magnetic LED light

P1012009.JPG

17. 24 track

creativity knows no bounds, I like it

Obsessed likes this.
  18. 24 track

I use those for cable ties they are fantastic and you can never have too many. great sugestion!

19. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

cable ties.... handy..:)

I tend to use hard tail bridges a lot... poking the string through the back holes and up onto the saddles can be frustrating....

my solution is a hook made from those twist ties that come with everything electrical these days.... I keep a pile of them..poke the string through a bit, guide it into the hook then lift it up above the saddle so you can grab it.....:D

even fixed my shop glasses with one....:rolleyes:

all hail! the free cable twist tie....:twisted:

83 bridge restring tool.JPG

glasses repair2.JPG

tintag27, stinkey, jimbo735 and 2 others like this.
  20. 24 track

nickhofen and jimbo735 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.