Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Some days you just don't feel like playing the gig

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thesamhill, Aug 24, 2017.

1. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Tele-Meister

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    Back when I was in a band we'd practice at the drummer's house. For some unknown reason he had his drums up in the 3rd floor attic. I don't miss lugging all our gear up and down those steps every week, but I do miss just about everything else.

2. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    After playing weekly for many years, I was looking forward to a hobby band, playing once a month or so seemed fun. It's not about the money for me, but it is for a couple retired members. They got out there and hustled for gigs to the point where we're playing weekly, and occasionally twice a weekend. It's becoming less fun than work, especially when we have back to back gigs. And I think my weariness shows.

studio1087 likes this.
  3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    I get it. I played in church every Sunday for 12 years. It got tedious.
    Last couple of years I've been in a band that goes around and plays at other peoples churches for special events. Best time I've ever had playing music.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  4. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2007
    St. Croix, USVI
    It's part of being human. Sometimes it's just a drag doing what you have to do. But we seem to do it and get over over it. Life goes on

AJ Love likes this.
  5. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Friday nights are tough when you have a job. Makes for a very long day.

6. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2010
    North east coast
    AC/DC summed it up bleakly:

"Gettin' old, gettin' gray
    Gettin' ripped off, underpaid
    Gettin' sold, second-hand
    That's how it goes, playin' in a band"

7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Our local trio has been working hard to get a set down to play at the local school fete today....

but it has been cancelled because of rain,, (on thursday)....awwwww..

it was going to be our first public gig and I was kinda looking forward to doing it.... my school kids rock band was practicing hard too as well as a few newby gr3 guitar kids who were fired up to do a song....

I'm adult enough to accept the cancellation... but dammit... we waz robbed.. it's overcast and not actually raining much... or at all....

I'd have been there now setting up and getting hyped to rock out.... and nothing short of a cyclonic downpour in the next half a hour will calm my addled brain...... ARRRGGGHHH!!!! Bourbon time!!...

Shakes fist at clouds ..:)

8. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Nagoya, Japan
    Rained? Which part of 'Sunshine Coast' does your weather not understand?

9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Ever play in a goofy shaped place? We played in an old pub where the stage was in in one nook and the dance floor was around a corner. We sang looking at a wall and the people dancing were just out of view around a corner.

We had to angle the PA and point it around the corner. Strange place for the band. I would stare at a wall of posters that described fish frys and biker polker runs.

Jakedog likes this.
  10. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    If it's a slow night I end up watching the TV while we're playing...

Jakedog likes this.
  11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Until it's over and you're breaking down the stage...loading stuff up...waiting for the manager to count out the register and pay you...carry your crap out into the freezing cold...find a cuppa coffee so you don't fall asleep on the highway at 230 a.m...
    It's hard enough to explain to mySELF why I do this! Not to mention Mama Chitlin!

12. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Man, TDPRI's got the blues lately.

brookdalebill and -Hawk- like this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Somewhat ironically, I had my aforementioned regular gig last night.
    Because of the recent inclement weather, I left early to get to the gig,
    Upon arrival, I got a text from the drummer cancelling the gig, because of the weather.
    No, I didn't get paid.
    Yes, I'm not happy.
    Grrrrr.
    Shoulda called in sick of it.
    Grrrrr.
    There, I (don't) feel better.

soulman969 likes this.
  14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    The regular gig I am wonking about is like this.
    The audience is literally at arms length from the band, the two dance floors are beyond the audience, and to the right.
    When I play bass, I have to play "gatekeeper" with the neck of my bass.
    Maddening.

soulman969 likes this.
  15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Yep, if we've played long enough we've all been here too.

It's the gig from hell that never ends because the gigs keep coming and the money is too good to say no. For me it was doing 6 years in a band who played mostly Latino weddings and parties so we did a good deal of traditional Mexican music along with oldies but goodies '50s and '60 rock because that's what the gigs called for. Boring but they fed us well and we got paid far more than any club band made.

I was on bass and Scott Sellen whose Richie Furay's worship leader and the guitarist in his band was the guitarist and it pained Scott even more than me. But the money was good and we were always booked so we just kept doing it 'til we couldn't do it any longer. Then the escape was like ending a prison sentence. Scott went on to playing just with Richie and I went back to playing bar rock in clubs for far less money.

I know Scott got the better deal but in the end I think both of us ended up grateful it was over. :D

thunderbyrd and brookdalebill like this.
  16. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Done that before too. Defender of the stage! LOL

brookdalebill likes this.
  17. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Maybe the worst part of it is when they drunkenly trip over a floor monitor and end up landing on you or your feet or bump a mic stand and you end up with a bloody lip or a chipped tooth.

Some gigs require hazard pay you never get. :(

18. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2016
    Phoenix AZ
    I feel ya......Was supposed to play a solo gig at a restaurant way up on the northwest side of town last night which means an hour's drive thru rush-hour traffic, minimum half-hour setup time & the audience never amounts to much on the weeknights anyway.....wound up getting a pass since the owner hasn't come back from Christmas vacation with his family yet. Quite a load off my mind......spent most of the day playing with my new Band in a Box setup.

19. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    Having lived in the Valley, I can attest to what a pain that drive is!

20. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI
    This is a great thread. There have been several times in my life I've walked away. Either just fed up with it or needing more time for family. And I'm talking about walking away as in playing zero gigs for years. Now I'm getting ready to get back into it, about to turn 52 years old, and keeping my eyes wide open. I still played at home, but it's not the same.

The time away has given me perspective on how much I love playing guitar and what types of music I like to play best. As well as insight on how much I need to work on my playing to live up to my musical standards. I'm hopeful that this time around it can stick....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.