Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Some Builds and Questions and Life Changes

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jamorudd, Apr 3, 2018.

1. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2012
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Hey all! So it seems I have some big changes on the way that will really impact my woodworking endeavors. In the next few months, my wife and I will likely be moving to Boston (from Oklahoma) for me to attend grad school. Needless to say, I won’t have much room to do much in the way of building for a while! Anyone have some tips for apartment guitar building? (Looking at you, Jup!)

Also, just curious if we have any members in the area that might be able to give any tips? For instance, I’ve considered joining a makerspace in the area if anyone has an opinion or recommendation? I’ll likely be re-embracing my ukulele roots since I can whip up some sets before we go, then do the rest with smaller hand tools and such. However, I have several larger projects going and yet to start that I’d like to finish up before we go, so I thought I’d use this as a bit of a build thread for those if folks are interested.

Sorry for the long, and pretty vague post. Any input or suggestions would be welcomed!

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    When I lived in a two bedroom apartment I made a small plywood open box-like workbench. It sufficed for many things. You may want to join some tops and backs of future acoustics and thickness sand them while you can. I'd think a laminate trimmer could do a lot of the work for you.

fenderchamp and jamorudd like this.
  3. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2012
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Yeah, I’ve been trying to take note of which tools and jigs are absolutely necessary. I’d thought I’d modify my binding jig before we go. It uses one of the Bosch lam trimmers.

Also, it seems it will not let me post pictures from my phone? Anyone happen to know what’s up with that?

4. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    I think Chris on the Forum here is from Boston...

DrASATele and jamorudd like this.
  5. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    Wow Oklahoma to Boston
    Big Changes...Itty bitty Living space.
    Sounds rough. Wishing you good luck.

jamorudd likes this.
  6. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2012
    Oklahoma City, OK
    You forgot to mention that you pay more than twice as much for the tiny living space!

I’ll try to get some pics up this evening of some of the projects I’ve got going on. I spent yesterday making a headstock veneer for the Walnut OM that is my main focus right now.

2blue2 likes this.
  7. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Yes! Chris is DrASATELE. He’s a great guy, hopefully you can link up.
    Good luck on this phase of your life, Jamo. Don’t miss Legal Seafood!
    Boston is a pricey place to live, for sure.

8. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Jamo, welcome to Boston! We're just north of there, near Portland. Please feel free to PM me anytime if I can help with anything. I built my first partser on a card table in a one-room apartment, it's do-able; it may require some understanding from your wife, who may need the table from time to time. It's a great city. What school?

jamorudd likes this.
  9. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I am in bean town, I am and I finally saw this thread. Hit me with a PM. I know some folks in the area. I live in Woburn which is an interstate hub about 30 minutes north of Boston. If I can be of any help, just drop a line!

The Woodcraft in Woburn has 'open shop' hours or days that they just started, I didn't see a schedule but I have seen the area and the tools they intend to use and it looks very promising.

I also know of 2 shops that lease time and have Pro machines, like a belt sander that could hold a 335. One of them has the biggest bandsaw I have ever seen in person.

Talk soon!

10. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

11. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2012
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Thanks guys! I’ll certainly be in touch once we have plans nailed down a bit more. I’m getting excited!

DrASATele likes this.
  12. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I guess I should have tried to link up with you before you went off to the east coast.

jamorudd and DrASATele like this.
  13. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2012
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Where are you at in Oklahoma?

14. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Edmond area.

jamorudd likes this.
  15. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2012
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Anyone have tips on uploading photos these days? Not using Photobucket any more, and when I try to upload directly from my phone it pulls up an error screen. If I get this figured out, I’ll throw up some pics of the Walnut/spruce OM I’ve been working on this evening.

16. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    I’ve been using Flickr and have had a really good experience.

17. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Upload them right to tdpri with your phone or computer. Click on the upload a file button.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    On the iphone you touch the paperclip at the bottom of your post window and your photo collection pops up to select from.

In the Boston area, I lived in and around there for many years and most of the triple decker wood apt buildings have basements where the furnace is.
    I always had access to the basement, and while they are dark and dank, many have some sort of workbench built in from the old days when people fixed stuff.
    Somerville has lots of that kind of housing, Forset Hills also but that's part of Jamaica Plain which has been upscaled to high rent by hipsters.
    Not that any rents are cheap but I'd suspect that the dingy basements in JP have been turned into coed caves and wine cellars.
    In the actual City of Boston you might not find any basement access.
    Given that these days even NH is a suburb of Boston, you might search for apartments around Boston in triple deckers and find some usable basement workshops for no extra cost.

Good luck with the move!
    And bring a baseball bat if you plan to paaak your caaa!

19. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    What Marty said! Easy and good!

DC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.