Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Some advice on refinishing a 66 Tele.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by BAW4742, Apr 25, 2008.

1. degsycaster

degsycaster Tele-Holic

May 11, 2006
    Suffolk, England
    I for one could never tire of seeing 'that ole thing'. Especially as we know the work that's been done to get it looking so good :cool:

2. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks guys. I'll try to get some more pictures soon.

I got the two screws free finally. Blaster did the trick this time Jack. But another one does not have a screwdriver slot in it. I probably boogered the head years ago before I changed to that brass bridge. I guess I'll try to cut a slot in it. Might wait till I restring it to take that saddle apart.

Anybody got an easy trick for cutting the slot?

3. alexpigment

alexpigment Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2008
    Austin TX
    well this is turning out to be one of the most amazing jobs i've ever seen on it. building from scratch is one thing, but repairing something like this is an entirely different level of skill and creativity. can't wait to see it with strings on it and ready play

4. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    UK
    Go back about 5 posts Alex! :)

5. redddog

redddog Tele-Holic

May 7, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Just out of curiousity, given the history of this guitar and how beautiful it is NOW, is there a considerable hit to the value of this amazing Tele because of the restoration or is a '66 a '66 and that's it?

I mean, it looks amazing but in the free market will it command a lot less than one that didn't go through the work?

At any rate, it turned out just beautiful and you should be amazingly proud of yourself.

6. Ron Garson

May 18, 2003
    UK
    I think the "hit" to it's value happened a long time ago, and, if anything, the restoration has improved the guitar considerably. It will never hold the value of an original, but I'll bet it would sit at about 50% of that.

7. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Assuming you're not talking about a guitar owned by a famous player, as the condition of a guitar goes down, you reach a point where a restoration will increase the value. I think that is the case here.

8. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Bruce....I had to soak mine in some WD40 for about a week, got the screws out, chaesd the threads nicely on the way out and used some standard Fender Tele saddle screws and she was good as new.

[​IMG]

9. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Im pretty well certain the restoration increased the value of this tele.

10. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

PJ - I got the screws free but I'll have to replace one of the other screws as there is no slot left on it. I tried to find some locally but none are long enough.

Thanks for watching guys. I am very happy with this project (Picture me patting myself on the back). Happily I'm down to the picky stuff like tweaking the wiring and fine tuning the setup.

As far as the value of the guitar and don't take this wrong but ya'll can debate it as much as you want. I find it interesting but as far as I'm concerned my guitar is priceless. Even when it was beat up it was one of my favorite guitars. I've always said that it was the first good guitar that I got and it will probably be the last one that I get rid of.

11. PJ55

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Bruce....I have a couple of the length adjusting screws and springs from my rebuild job, but none of the little rascals that adjust height.
    I'll have a look in my box-o-bits if you need them. I ended-up replacing everything except the plate and saddles, all the scews were toast on mine.

12. Ron Garson

May 18, 2003
    UK
    If you can't find old screws for the saddle height ajustment, I'm sure that new ones wouldn't be too out of place.

The Fender part no for the slot head screws is 0016105000, and I know that angela.com usually have them in stock. About 6 bucks for 12 screws.

13. Gareth John

Gareth John Tele-Afflicted

Oct 10, 2006
    England
    Finally, my internet is back up and running. Just wanted to drop by and congratulate you on your restoration. I think it looks a thousand times better now. This, I'm sure, is just another chapter in this guitars life. May you have many more happy years together.

14. PJ55

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Bruce....any updates on the '66 project? Haven't heard from you in a while.

15. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

Hey PJ. No major news. I worked for a while tweaking the action and intonation. I cut a new nut for the neck. That didn't turn out too well so I invested in some nut files and cut another. This one turned out much better.

I'm still looking for threaded saddles but since I can play her I'm not in a big hurry.

Here she is hanging out in my studio.

[​IMG]

I'm loving grabbing this thing and playing it now. She sound's awesome. :D :D

16. Strummer

Strummer TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Wow, That looks awesome! You did an excellent job. :cool:

17. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Strummer.

And the best part is that she sounds great too. :D :D

18. Superc_1

Superc_1 Tele-Meister

Apr 23, 2007
    Atkins,Arkansas
    Congrats! Its got to have been worth every minute of the hard work. I know your proud of it! Great job!

19. PJ55

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Wo! That color is just awesome. Very-vintagy. I'll keep an eye-out for a set of threaded saddles. I know where to get new reissues, but a set of originals might be a little challenging to come across. That being said, they don pop-up now and then. Congratulations on a project very well done!

20. ajgus

ajgus Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    chicago
    PJ, thanks for bumping this up.
    Bruce, this is one of my favorite threads. I'm in awe of the results.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.