Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Some advice on refinishing a 66 Tele.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by BAW4742, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Say Bruce ......... The number before the month indicates the type of neck. "3" indicates Telecaster or Esquire.

Strats from early 62 to late 65 had a 2. The big goofy headstocks with Klusons got a 13 and the goofy headstock with Fender tuners got a 22.

2. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

Got it. Thanks. I'm glad mine is not a 13 or 22.:D

The last part of the neck stamp is a "B" and I thought I had read years ago that this was something about the fretboard radius or the shape of the neck. But I see that it indicates a standard 1 -5/8" nut width. I still haven't fully digested my Duchossoir book.

3. Rizo

Rizo Tele-Afflicted

Apr 28, 2005
    Athens, OH
    Thanks for the info, I read through the beginning of the thread but it wasn't clear what was still original. So it's just the neck, most of the body, the bridge and maybe saddles and some of the hardware? Not a lot as far as a collectors concerned but.... the important question remains....

How does she sound?

(This would be a good time to post some sound clips of that restored beauty, hint, hint.)

4. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

I'm still waiting on a few parts to finish up including new tuners and a neck pickup so I don't have her strung up yet.

Any day now.

5. allen st. john

allen st. john Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    [​IMG]

I understand that I'm very much in the minority and perhaps even the lone voice of dissent here.

But I like the "before" better.

It's a nice paint job. But I also saw what's underneath it.

[​IMG]

Imagine this is a different thread. And a TDPRIer is thinking about buying this seemingly pretty nice '66. If you saw that "before" pic with the mismatched grain, the Gorilla Glue, and the filler, would you still suggest that he buy it? Personally, I think he would have been better off buying a nice Brian Poe swamp ash body for a couple hundred dollars and leaving the original in the case.

"but I'm not selling it..."

I know. I know. (at least not in the near future...at which this thread and these pics will be a distant memory.)

Which brings me to my larger point. It's not like you bought this guitar at a show with some banana having "stratified" it.

You were the banana. And it was your mother who helped you sand it and Minwax it.

If I owned a family relic like that, no amount of money or value could persuade me to "restore" it.

But it's your family and your relic. Enjoy the guitar and thanks for sharing.

allen

6. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

Points well taken Allen. And I can see where you're coming from.

I've regretted doing this to the guitar for years. And it is still a family relic. This is just another chapter in my guitar's long journey.

I sat down just yesterday with Mom and we reminisced about what the guitar looked like when I first got it (it was pretty bad) and how we refinished it on the kitchen table. I'll always have that.

And I can tell you too that Mom is thrilled with the way this has turned out. She's been watching the whole process like you guys have from start to finish and she thinks the guitar is beautiful now.

So we're all happy. :D :D

7. allen st. john

Mar 17, 2003
    I'm really glad you took this in the spirit in which it was intended. (Actually, I came off a little grouchier than I intended, but my first draft got snarfed by the computer gods.)

The fact that you're able to sit down with your Mom and talk about the guitar and she has been able to watch the work, well, that's a missing piece in this story. I don't have that option (and assumed you didn't either) so I guess that colored my view.

Wish your mom the best, have her initial the neck pocket, and be sure to take a couple of pictures of her with the guitar. (Hey, her Minwax work makes her an honorary TDPRIer) I'm sure she's just as proud of you now as the first time you refinned it.

allen

8. Rizo

Rizo Tele-Afflicted

Apr 28, 2005
    Athens, OH
    Man, cut the guy a break. In my mind he righted a wrong so to speak. I guess it would still have whatever value it had left if he had bought a replacement body and kept the other.... but.... if it were me I would rather have the original body restored like it's been done here.

Different strokes I suppose.

9. allen st. john

Mar 17, 2003
    Just about all 327 posts in this thread have been supportive. And while I think I might have done the work (or had it done or not done) differently, I do see the issue differently given that his Mom is around to see him "right this wrong."

If he's keeping the guitar, then I applaud his efforts unconditionally.

That said, I tend to be very conservative when it comes to doing work on vintage pieces.

best
    Allen

10. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

It's all good guys.

I knew I could leave it alone, take it to a pro or do it myself. I'm happy that I could come here and discuss my the project freely as well as get enough support to tackle the job no matter which way I had decided to go.

That's the great thing about this place.

Oh yeah - Allen, believe me, I am keeping the guitar. :D :D

11. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Bruce...haven;t tacked my body finishing project, yet, but I have all the details you were so kind to send. That'll be a big help, for sure.
    I've done a lot of poly and nitro neck work, but never anything beyond vintage tint, from a color POV. Your box is looking fabulous!
    Don't bang it up, regardless of what the relic-heads might suggest.
    It looks too good.

12. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

Here's my earlier reply to ajgus about relic:

Right now I'm planing to do an old school relic - play the heck out of it. I can't wait to get strings on it and get started.

:D :D

13. PJ55

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA

14. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 18, 2004
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    WOW!!

Holy Batfish, Catman. That's pretty steep but good news I'd say.

Judging from the pictures, mine is an older neck (3 JUL 66) but has a higher number neck plate by about 4500. I do not know the history on my guitar so it means nothing. I'd be curious about other 1966 teles though.

L_N_A

15. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks PJ. I saw a refinished '67 in a shop in about 3 years ago and it was listed at $5,000 or $5,500 then. So I guess this is about right. They only go up in value, right?

16. PJ55

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    I've not heard of any going down in price.

17. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

Got her all together!

Still needs a little work but I got her all together! Here's a picture. I'll post some more later unless ya'll are tired of seeing this ole thing.

[​IMG]

I am, to say the least, quite pleased with the outcome. Some of the screws for the saddles are frozen so I can't get the action quite right and I'm thinking about making a new pickguard.

I also made a new nut and that needs a little work to dress it up some. And the wiring needs a few tweaks but I was able to string her up and play her last night.

Sweet! I'm a happy camper! :D

Thanks again to all who helped me along the way with this project. I received lots of advice, encouragement and help form a lot of folks here and it is much appreciated.

18. impmann

impmann TDPRI Member

May 23, 2008
    Northants, UK
    I for one think that this is awesome. I'm especially pleased that you didn't feel the 'need' to relic the guitar - I'm not knocking relics per se, but I feel that the world is filling up with them and it is far more fun the 'relic' them the old school way... by playing them. Lots.

This has inspired me to try to sort out my butchered 1960s body - it needs nowhere near as much work as this one had, but is ain't pretty and I guess that Leo would shake his head in disgust...

Good on you for sorting the guitar out - and good on you for keeping it. Vintage values or not, its a musical instrument and making music with it is more important than anything else in my book.

19. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Man that turned out nice.

Have you tried the PB Blaster on those saddle screws? Seem like this is an instance where it might work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.