Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

SoloDallas Storm - Quality?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Royal Tele, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2009
    Lone Star State
    I know the SoloDallas stuff is old news at this point. I've still not gotten one of the pedals, but I still want to. I remember seeing one post on here (maybe from earlier this year?) in which the OP explained how he collects pedals, purchased a custom swirl paint finished SD Storm pedal, and discovered what he described as very poor build quality inside. (Shoddy soldering, solder beads bouncing around inside and falling out when he opened the case, poorly mounted components, etc.)

It's the only review like it that I've seen. The demo videos out there all make this thing sound killer--based on that alone, I definitely want one. I'm trying to decide if I wanna take the plunge. Would love some more reviews or input from users--mostly about the build quality and reliability of the pedal.

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    I love Acca Dacca as much (if not much more) than the next guy... but I think you are grasping at straws when you are paying that much money for an input buffer of a wireless unit. Any boost pedal will give a bit of a bump to the front end of a Marshall and get you the same effect - even an EQ pedal. Solodallas has done a great job of researching the ins and outs of Angus' tone, but you can get there easily by other means and not have to spend an arm and leg to do it. Personally, I would pass on the pedal even if he has indeed improved his soldering.

Iago, troy2003 and Royal Tele like this.

3. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2009
    Lone Star State
    You make a really good point. And, admittedly, the price point is the other primary reason I haven't already pulled the trigger.

artdecade likes this.

4. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2009
    Lone Star State
    Perhaps in another 5-10 years, the hype will have worn off enough for him to price them at a more realistic/reasonable price point.

Iago and artdecade like this.

5. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    If you find a used one at a good price point, I would probably give it a try.

6. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    For those prices, those things better do the dishes and walk the dog.

Royal Tele likes this.

7. vintagemgear

vintagemgear NEW MEMBER!

Oct 26, 2017
    Belgium
    Hi there ! Dries here; the engineer of Solodallas. I'm really sorry to hear that ! I put a lot of effort in making the Storm pedal of good quality, and also repairable.

Please find attached a picture of the Storm pedal internals. That is how they should look - I wanted you all to see this.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
    Dries

Attached Files:

Iago and Royal Tele like this.

8. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2009
    Lone Star State
    Looks pretty sharp to me! If there's anything I've learned throughout my years of playing guitar, it's that you can't always rely on one person's review or experience (good or bad) to determine if you want to invest in something. I'm glad you posted this picture. Looks like good quality to me. I'm still hoping to get one of these in The not-too-distant future!

Iago likes this.

9. vintagemgear

vintagemgear NEW MEMBER!

Oct 26, 2017
    Belgium
    Anytime here to help ! I just wanted to show the world openly how we build the pedals. Have a good day Sir!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.