Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Solid State rectifier - Voltage Question

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by tube.tone, Oct 19, 2009.

1. tube.tone

tube.tone Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2008
    Northeast
    Hi guys,

Today, I have installed a solid state rectifier, weber WY3GT to replace a NOS 5Y3GT.

This is what happened, I toke alternate voltage readings with a tube and then with the cooper cap;

Rectifier socket:
    Vacuum tube rectifier: Pin 2 and 3: 388v
    Solid state rectifier: Pin 2 and 3: 323V

Power tubes:
    Vacuum tube rectifier: Pin 3 to 8: 383v
    Solid state rectifier: Pin 3 to 8: 303V

Also, I checked the cathode current on power tubes in the probe:
    Vacuum tube rectifier: 37.5Ma
    Solid state rectifier: 30.5Ma

I don't understand what is happening here. I though that solid state rectifiers would increase voltages not bring them lower?!

In the end of the day I liked the way the amp behavior. I notice that the amp sounded cleaner with more dynamics.

Thanks one more time for your support..

Regards

2. marku52

marku52 NEW MEMBER!

Oct 19, 2009
    S Oregon
    I don't know what is inside a weber copper cap, but it must have some resistance to mimic the internal resistance of the tube rectifier. Without this, yes, a solid state rectifier has less voltage drop and you should see higher power supply voltages all down the chain. Since you are seeing lower voltages, that means that the resistance in the copper cap is HIGHER than the internal resistance in the 5Y3. Some modern 5Y3s have lower internal resistances than old NOS stuff, maybe Weber copied an old NOS and you have a newer (Sovtek?) 5Y3?

Ted Weber, RIP, thanks for all the sounds.....

3. tube.tone

tube.tone Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2008
    Northeast
    It has four 1 amp, 1000 volt diodes and 2 200ohm resitors in series. As per webpage this allows a 50V Voltage drop @ 125Ma Imax. It also has a capacitor which i ignore is function.

Please see attached pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.