Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Solid State Analog Amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by FenderGuy53, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Me too

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    That’s one I want to check out.

3. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth
    Two words...
    Henriksen Bud!

4. Kimbarafuzz

Kimbarafuzz TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Paris
    Always in love with my 2 vox Pathfinder 15R...

5. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Yes digital reverb.... But high quality to my ear. It has a mini toggle that allows you choose Spring, Plate, or Hall reverb.

They all sounded great to me.

Also, supposedly the effects loop is the same basic circuitry to that found on a Rockerverb.

6. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Meister

Voter number two for OR CR-120 on a Orange 2x12 closed back cab! Sitting in my office right now with a Les Paul plugged in.

7. a_pidgeon

a_pidgeon Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2015
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Never played the Oranges that keep getting mentioned, but I'm keeping an eye out for them.

For amps still in production, Fender Champions aren't terrible, but I liked the Frontman series way better. Every time I've had an opportunity to play a Roland JC-40 I've absolutely loved it.

8. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    I can't find one locally to try out, but I'm obsessing pretty hard about the Roland JC-22.

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I must mention here that I have been quite impressed with how some tube amp designers have come up with solid state versions of their tube amps that sound just like their tube amps. Marshall (the MOSFET line) and Vox (Pathfinder) especially.

10. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Agreed. I used mine for gigs and would do so again. Very close to a Bandit in tones, and yet about 10 lbs. lighter. And yes, you're right, the red stripe Studio Pro was rated at 65 watts RMS.

Speaking of the Bandit, the current Peavey Bandit 112 TransTube shouldn't be left out of this discussion. I haven't owned one of the current production models, but what I hear, I like. But I've owned a couple, and would still have one if it hadn't been stolen. The cleans on a Bandit are great...nice beefy, full-bodied clean. As for the drive channel, I generally don't do much more than a "bit of grit," just a creamy crunch for my classic rock offerings. I can get all of that from a Bandit, plus enough firepower for just about any gig...or any gig I'll ever play, anyways.

Yeah, if "current production" weren't a parameter to this discussion, I'd recommend the PF15R. I use/have used mine for just about everything. AC-ish tones, wamth, crunch and chime. Real spring reverb, albeit weak on account of the small tank. You can run it to a 1x12" via the extension Out on the rear panel, as well as Line Out to a PA/FOH. I've gigged mine that way plenty of times. I've also run two of mine (I have three) like a stereo rig. Nice sounding and versatile grab-n-go amp. But alas, it's discontinued...

11. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2014
    Midwest
    +1 on the Orange CR series. Very natural sounding, fantastic range from clean to crunch to distortion.

12. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

May 29, 2014
    RI
    Another vote for Orange 35RT, my daily practice amp, sounds fantastic

13. bgavin335

bgavin335 TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Dallas
    I also played a blues cube hot “boss drive” recently and I loved the tone. Great tone was just there. It was hard to make it sound bad.
    Unfortunately for the purpose of this thread... I think it is a modeling amp albeit a single model. Digital — not analog.

I bought a DV Mark micro 50 ii — not because it was better or because it was analog, but only because I wanted a small SS Head with effects loop.
    The micro 50 is a good clean warm amp with useable distortion. It has a reverb which doesn’t seem like reverb, maybe “delay and reverb”, but it is musically useable.
    Flat EQ settings seem bass heavy with my current speaker, but the knobs have plenty of range to get what I like.

Jakedog likes this.

14. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I’m unclear on what this topic means, my Katana is all solid state but am thinking has digital aspects, sorry old man alert...my Katana rocks. Got a great mix of my pedals and the onboard effects, been a happy camper for a solid year now. If I’m out of line here forgive me...is the amp digital?

15. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Meister

Really haven't heard that. Mine's been gone strong over 15 years.

16. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    For bang for the buck, you can't beat a Peavey Bandit or Envoy.
    I hate recommending PV because of the way Hartley screwed his employees and M&P dealers, but they make great amps. And he's really no worse than most other big corporations. Profits are the only thing that matters and employees and dealers are just like any other resource, to be used and then discarded.

17. theripper

theripper TDPRI Member

Nov 11, 2017
    Hauntingmidsville, Illinois
    Randall works for metal I have heard. I have also heard things about sunn beta leads and peaveys.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

18. Hobs

Hobs TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I'm pretty fond of my Hughes &Kettner Edition Blonde. The clean channel is pretty Fendery, and the lead channel is very responsive and defined even at high gain. They don't make that particular model anymore, but if the new ones are similar, they'd be worth checking out.

19. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Man I had a Randall RG80SC 1x12 with a Celestion... it was badasss! The "green" channel sounded Fendery enough and the spring reverb was one of the best I've ever played in a combo. The "red" channel was as red as it sounds. Distortion, cleaned up on the guitar volume knob, pull one of the knobs and get a boost into metal territory, but I found my favorite setting was combining both channels for a low gain grit. Otherwise the 2 channels are kind of Jekyl and Hyde.

Great amp, but it buzzed and hissed like a mad scientist and it was fairly heavy for a 60-80 watt 1x12 solid state combo. I still wonder if I was wrong to sell it though... I've read that Dexter Romweber of the Flat Duo Jets used to use a Randall RG80SC and I definitely got close to that sound on the "green" channel with reverb.

Not my pic:
    [​IMG]

20. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    OK, if you want to talk OLD SCHOOL, then Acoustic 150 heads, and Sunn Concert and Coliseum heads. Jeff Beck was playing a Coliseum Lead head and Univox 6x10 cab during the Rough and Ready, Goin' Down and BBA period, at least onstage. And Santana used a GK head at Woodstock.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.