Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Solid State Analog Amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by FenderGuy53, Dec 6, 2017 at 12:50 AM.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    In the "current production" world of solid state, analog amps, which are your favorites, and why?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 9:07 AM

2. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    I love my studio pro....

LGOberean and haggardfan1 like this.

3. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Quilter Pro Block 200 is what I use. (It has digital reverb, though.)

4. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    For me it would be the Orange cr60 pro. Fully SS analog version of a rockerverb ( essentially ). Great clean channel that's punchy and warm, and will break up when pushed. Versatile drive channel that does slightly hairy to full on distortion if you want it to. Its a very usable and versatile 4 gain stage control.

Great reverb

Great effects loop

Birch ply cabinet

I no longer own one, but I did at one time. I've thought about picking up another one, as I really miss the clean channel.

hrstrat57 and Dismalhead like this.

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Peavey, I presume. And if that's what you're talking about, it is no longer in "current production," which is what the OP specified. That's not to say I think the Peavey Studio Pro would be a bad choice. I just don't know if the OP wants to go the used route.

Which version do you have? There were four iterations of the Studio Pro in the '80s, ranging from 20 to 60 watts. Then in the '90s the Studio Pro was bumped up to 65 watts, and there was a teal stripe 110 version (I used to own one, my son has it now) and a silver stripe 112 (which I also had). Then, the last iteration before it was discontinued, the red stripe, was in production (first in the US, then in China) from 2000-2007.

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

Haven't had the pleasure of that one's company, but I've enjoyed the other SS analog Oranges I've tried. Actually, the reverb is digital, but still...

7. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I haven't played that many, but played a couple of Orange amps and a Roland Blues Cube Hot and I own the Blues Cube Hot now. The new Guitar Center specific model with an early Marshall voicing. Best sounding amp at low volume I've ever played. The Oranges sounded good, but the Blues Cube sounds much much better than good. Boss Katanas would be really good candidates too, but the sneaky amps exposed them as the digital modelers they are - but damn they sound good...

-Ray

DaphneBlue likes this.

8. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    I'm liking the Roland Blues Cube Hot and JC-22 Jazz Chorus, but I also like the Orange 35RT.

Ex-riverman and DaphneBlue like this.

9. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    I have three of these:
    https://www.kustom.com/index.php/bass-amps/kxb-series/kxb20.html

Not to big, not too heavy, not too loud. They don't overdrive. They don't have reverb. But the EQ is voiced just right (for me) and lets you cop several different classic amp styles if you set them up right. It'll also help you find that sweet spot with just about any rig.

I even tried some aftermarket speakers and really preferred the stock ones. Of course, the price on these is the problem. No one wants to admit they're playing through a $50 amp :) But frankly, they've been sitting in a corner since I got a princeton.

----

I've also been interested in the Orange 20RT lately. I played one at the local shop and really liked it. Small, 2-channel with built in reverb and tuner. Perfect for traveling.

Then there's this thing that won't quit calling my name:
    https://easttexas.craigslist.org/msg/d/vintage-rickenbacker-amp/6395079854.html

10. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    I rate my Harley Benton HB80-r very highly. It's passably well constructed, cabinet wise. The PCB is thick, the traces well laid out, the PSU section is best described as mahoosive. It has a real spring reverb and an effective FX loop. Two channels with footswitchable gain on channel two making a 2.5 channel amp. Loud, great sounding amp. I've gigged with it and had compliments about the sound. Until it was discovered to be a < shock, horror > solid state!
    Hotone mini amps. Fine sounding, if a little optimistic on the power rating.
    Orange 35RT. It sure sounded good to me.
    Orange Crush 120. Power for days and fine tone too. I particularly like the reverb switch. More manufacturers who use digital reverb processors should implement it.
    Roland JC. The epitome of fine solid state tone. Not for everyone.
    From what I've heard on Youtube, Quilter.

11. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Meister

12. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Quilter Aviator Gold Ultralight 8. Sounds great, 100 watts, 2 channels, 22lbs.

DaphneBlue and evanjackson like this.

13. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Except I heard they're not making it anymore...

14. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2012
    Luçon _ France
    Orange Crush 35 RT. Great clean channel. Great dirty channel. Reverb OK. Power is enough for stage (otherwise, mike it). No bells and whistles, just the basics... that we need!

Jakedog likes this.

15. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    If you said I have to pick right now without an extended shopping Spree I'd grab an Orange Crush 35 RT too.

It's just an amp I have had access to for practice (among a few other SS analog amps) and I feel like as long as the 35RT you hand me is functioning well I can dial it in within a minute or two and be quite happy.

I have (and love) a Rocker 15 at home.. it's quite a bit better than the Crush 35RT but other than it not having the reverb it's very similar and just feels like a better/more expensive tube version of the same amp, with more volume level flexibility, better audio fidelity, etc.. I'd probably be happy with the Crush 35RT though assuming I could get it down to the right volume level. It might actually have more trouble than the Rocker.

Funny thing though, SS analog amps have this reputation for being less likely to need maintenance than tube amps. Where I go to practice they have Vox, Fender, and Orange SS analog amps. Across all 3 brands it is not hard to find examples of all the amps that are better than others. They won't be "broken", but some of them have way way better audio quality than other examples of the same amp. I guess I don't really know about the Vox amps though, most of them have been put in the back room supposedly broken/needing maintenance.

16. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan

Good point..... Mine is USA red stripe 65 was I believe... Current production or not it's a great SS analog amp. ;)

LGOberean and evanjackson like this.

17. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    BluGuitar AMP1 is the only analog SS amp I’ve heard that sounds nearly identical to a tube amp.

Jakedog likes this.

18. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

Another vote for the Orange 35RT. Sounds great, it's light, and I like the reverb

Grodad and Jakedog like this.

19. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    I really want to try DV Mark and Quilter's micro heads. The Roland Bluescube line is nice. I have a Carvin SX-200 I am using for a clean pedal platform

Jakedog likes this.

20. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Connecticut

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.