Solid State Amp Advice Please..

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Texicaster, Apr 12, 2019.

1. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan TDPRI Member

Try an Orange RT35. You might be surprised. Only 25 pounds, easy-to-use (not a modeling amp), decent sounding digital reverb (cuts down on weight), built-in tuner. $259.

41144, FenderGuy53 and DOC DYA like this.
  2. Tuneup

Tuneup TDPRI Member

Yep the Quilter mini 101 is a good amp, sounds very much like the Princeton.
    The tone knobs are different on the first model, the reverb model of the 101 has standard "low mid high" knobs.
    They have a variety of solutions, I own 2 of their amps and love them both, the 101 is my main amp.

www.quilterlabs.com

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

I can't tell from reading your OP if you're willing to consider buying used. If you are, a Vox Pathfinder 15R is my top choice. They're getting hard to find, and they're selling used these days for as much if not more than they retailed for before they were discontinued ($120). But if you find one in perfect working order and reasonable cosmetic condition, it's worth it, IMHO. The new kid on the block for Vox is the Mini Super Beetle. It's a small head/cab rig that's 25 watts, or 50 watts if run with another cab for a 4 ohm load. $330. I've only test driven it thus far, but it seems a pretty good successor to the Pathfinder 15R.

But then since your home amp is a PRRI, Vox tones might not be your sound. If Fender, I'd opt for a Champion 20 or 40. Back when the Champion SS line was introduced, I went into the local GC and they had a Frontman 25R, Mustang I and a Champion 20 on the sales floor, so I got to compare them all to one another. The Champion 20 was the winner for me. Sounded good, different voicings (the Blackface voice was a good emulation of the PRRI, IMHO), intuitive, easy to dial in.

Peavey amps have been suggested. But the Express, Bandit and Special 130 that have been suggested are big amps and heavy as sin, not my idea of a grab and go amp, or "on the road," as you put it. (I'm assuming I took your meaning correctly there.) jvin248 included in his post above a video demo of a Peavey Rage, but that was being played through a Marshall 4x12 cab, so hardly a fair representation of what the little Rage combo sounds like on its own. The Rage 258 is a 1x8", 25 watt RMS, 2-channel amp. Headphone out, too, which might come in handy on the road.

My recommendation for a grab and go Peavey amp is the Envoy 110. This amp's been in production for decades, so there are used ones to be had, but it's still in production, so you can get one for $350 brand new and under warranty. A 1x10" that weighs less than 25 lbs., 40 watts RMS, and multiple voicing selections on both Clean and Lead channels, so you should be able to dial in something that suits you. Two inputs, headphone out, footswitch jack, Speaker Simulated Direct Out jack. Lots of nice features on an amp that works for practices or jams, or even the occasional small gig.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    JustABluesGuy and DOC DYA like this.
  4. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

Smaller than a Princeton but not a mini is a very narrow window. Do you need a speaker at all or would a solid state head and a nice pair of headphones work better?

A cube is almost as big as a Princeton. Maybe a Fender Champion 20?

5. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

Try the Orange Crush 35 RT and the Peavey Envoy...

41144 and FenderGuy53 like this.
  6. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Vox MV Clean and a small cab?

7. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Studio pro.peavey...

8. Texicaster

Texicaster TDPRI Member

Thanks!

Lots of stuff to try but I'll buy local so some wont be available..

The Quliter really interests me. I guess I can just buy any size speaker and stack it right?

Can't wait to grab my Tele! I've been storing at friends past few months while I'm on the road but carved a space for it and a small amp!

T

9. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

A lot of the amps mentioned are not going to be smaller than RI. I really think the Quilters are the best suited for something that can still give quality sound, they are certainly not bargain priced though.

10. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

For a small and light rig... See if you like one of the Vox MV50 amps , and try to get a Toob "cabinet" for it. Cannot get smaller and lighter than that with a 12" speaker.

11. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

The Vox MV50AC really nails the AC Top Boost tone. For BF Fender type tones, the Champion 20, Mustang GT40 or new Mustang LT25 sound great.

12. faasie85

faasie85 Tele-Meister

Not sure what you want to do with it. But if you want a small ss amp with good enough sounds and bluetooth capability so you can jam with Spotify: fender gt40.

I know some dont like them but for me its perfect. Its my livingroom amp because I can use it to stream music and it is small enough to put in a closet.

13. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

A Yamaha THR might be what you need: very portable, universally praised for tone, a few steps up from Blackstar Fly, a favorite among players who need to play quietly.

DHart likes this.
  14. Alter

Alter TDPRI Member

If you re on the road, have you considered a ZT lunchbox? Tiny amp, big sound, and can handle anything guitar wise. I play gigs with mine quite often, love it.

15. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have that 65 Blackface PRRI and am going to buy a Boss Katana 50. tohave an amp I won't feel too fragile about carting around. Also the Katana has a 12' speaker, hence that slightly deeper sound over a 10''. JMHO

16. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Buy a Quilter or Mark DV head and use the speaker and cab of your choice.

I bought the Mark DV little 250, it fits in this bag. Both ends zip open and you can use it when it's still in the bag.

IMG_2486.JPG

IMG_2440.JPG

SolidSteak and Paul in Colorado like this.
  17. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

Vox Pathfinder 15r with a 10 inch speaker

18. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

The Fender Deluxe 112 +is also nice. I own since 18 years and it's a great amp. I play it more often nach my DRRI

SolidSteak, Grateful Ape and Tony474 like this.
  19. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

My vote is the Quilter od200. Had two other Quilters. This one is the keeper. It is rather Fender like, and is the best sounding of the ones I've heard. I'm using it with an excellent, ported cab (from Pure64), a modest sized, light 1x12 which sounds huge. Goes perfectly with this amp. It's the lightest setup I have, and gives up nothing in the sound department. Loves teles.

The od200 is marketed as being all about the crunch/lead channel. There is a lead channel setting I would use, but to my taste, the real action is the clean channel. Well matched channel and master volumes here, and no lack of headroom. Goes from very clean to edge of breakup sound with minimal fiddling. Not hard to get good sounds out of this amp.

20. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, Orange Crush 35RT, for a Brit vibe. Dynamite in a small package.

Or for a more USA vibe, Roland Blues Cube Hot or Peavey Bandit.

41144 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.