Solid color mahogany neck - sandable primer as pore filler?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by xardoz, Apr 16, 2013.

1. xardoz

xardoz Tele-Meister

Hi everyone. Bit of an odd project here: I'm making a solid body (pine with 3/8 maple cap) based on the Teisco Tulip shape, but with a set neck (mahogany) like an LP DC Jr.

I'm to the point where I'm starting to plan the finish. The wood choices were based more on what I had available than any particular tonal plan, since this is my second "almost from scratch" build. And since the wood isn't particularly pretty, I'm going with a deep candy purple* over silver using Duplicolor rattle cans. The paints are all Duplicolor enamels, so they should be compatible, but I will be testing on scrap first to make sure.

On to my questions: From what I've read, I shouldn't need pore/grain filler on the pine and maple body, since they're tightly grained, but the mahogany neck should get filled. Since I'm doing a solid color, do I need to a separate grain fill, or would a few coats of sandable/filler primer sanded smooth do the trick?

Also, regarding sanding sealer - again, is it smart to do sanding sealer, or would the multiple coats of primer do the same thing anyway?

Thanks!

*Before anyone asks, this one is for my Missus. Tulips are her favorite flower, and purple is her favorite color.

2. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Tele-Holic

Sandable primer would work, if you gave it multiple coats, with plenty of time between coats. Maybe up to a week between coats, depending on the primer.

The danger is that primer will continue to shrink back with time, and what may have looked baby butt smooth prior to color coats will start to show grain in about four months.

Grain fillers, with their super high solids content, don't have this problem.

Sealer isn't quite so much an issue. The purpose of sealer is just what the name implies, to seal off the wood. This has two primary benefits, it prevents things that might be in the wood (oils, contaminants, etc) from messing with subsequent coatings, and it also limits penetration of subsequent coatings into the wood.

Many (but not all) primer products are formulated to act as a sealer on the first coat.

You can probably use your primer as a seal coat, but I'd recommend using a real grain filler on the mahogany.

3. xardoz

xardoz Tele-Meister

Thanks, Keyser. I'm comfortable with doing a grain fill on the neck, I just wasn't sure if I would be adding extra, unnecessary steps.

Since I'm working with enamels, would shellac be the best bet for a sanding sealer, or would something else be better?

4. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

Mahogany pores are pretty deep. I think it would take many applications of primer or SS to fill them. I would use grain filler. Is there a reason you don't want to?

5. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Grain filler is the way to go.

I have filled pores with Sealer and Primer in the past. I wasted more product, time and effort trying to short cut the filler.

6. xardoz

xardoz Tele-Meister

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

SixShooter: This is my first time working with mahogany. I wasn't sure if the filler primer would be sufficient to do the job properly, that's all.

Colt: That's the kind of info I was fishing for with my poorly-put question.

Moving on: Shellac as a sealer, or something else?

7. xardoz

xardoz Tele-Meister

Laid down Bullseye seal coat (dewaxed) Saturday. Sanded smooth Sunday and will grain fill tonight. Thanks, everyone!

8. HardlyDangerous

HardlyDangerous Tele-Holic

I use dupli color filler primer

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.