Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Solid Brass Bridge? (Like on the keef's)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by P-Zilla, Feb 13, 2007.

1. P-Zilla

P-Zilla Tele-Afflicted

I was wondering where I could purchase one of those solid brass six saddle bridges that fender used on the Keef teles.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

3. Lostheart

Lostheart Tele-Afflicted

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

I dunno, somehow they all tend to have six saddles on 'em - but you're lookin' for a 5 saddle Keith bridge, right ;)

[​IMG]

6. casterway

casterway Friend of Leo's

I dunno....I had those on my '72, and it sounded like crap, so I traded it away (Boo Hoo hoooooooo....). I was told by the new owner that it sounded like crap because of the bridge. The steel one magnifies the magnetic field around the pickup, which the brass won't do.

7. P-Zilla

P-Zilla Tele-Afflicted

Well I knew about those kinds of bridges. Just didnt know if they were solid brass.

I ended up winning one of eBay. Should be here soon.

8. Tele Tubby

Tele Tubby NEW MEMBER!

Rare Breed Guitars in the UK make the only Solid Brass Bridge for a Telecaster worth talking about. It's inspired by Keith Richards Micawber Telecaster. Sounds and looks awesome.

9. jitensha

jitensha Tele-Holic

i've an armidillo brass bridge on my guitar - more like the andy summers bridge -- and quite like it. I does change the tonal qualities significantly though - brightens the guitar up but not in a thin or ice picky way. It sustains a bit longer too. I'm using a bare knuckle brown sugar pup in the bridge and I love the range of tones i can get.

just my two cents.

10. robt57

robt57 Doctor of Teleocity

I got a Leo Quan on Craig's list, all brass and saddles for $25.00 shipped to me last year. I had to sell it before I stared an Andy Summers or Keef project. ;0

It would be perfect if you can find one, it brought $90.00 on eBay, so that is what you expect to pay if you can source one used I guess.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied

I do not know enough about the way the current Gotoh chromed version is made.

I'd be tempted to call Marc Rutters and see if he can make you one.

12. King Tele

King Tele TDPRI Member

Id recomend to rare breed bridge for pure quality

13. all_identaties_taken

all_identaties_taken Tele-Holic

The rare breed one is good but part of the magic of Micawber is the lap steel pick up in it. Basically Keith wanted a Broadcaster pick up but those were hard to find but someone told him the Lap guitar pickups Fender were using at the time were basically the same as the broadcaster pick up (the only difference was the size of the baseplate, look closely at the photo of Micawber in the thread there are only two adjustment screws) it didn't sound too good with the original bridge and the brass one was used to deaden the magnetic field as on the lap guitars with used those pick ups and a brass mounting plate and bridge. You can buy a replica of the pick up Keith has from Mr Duncan's custom shop.

14. Clem

Clem Tele-Meister

Looks great but the price is scary! £150 for a bridge... whew!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.