Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Soldering newbie building his first BYOC clone kit

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by rocksteady Max, Jul 30, 2008.

1. rocksteady Max

rocksteady Max Tele-Afflicted

I, soldering newbie, have bought my first pedal kits from BYOC.
    The first one is the 250+ that is a replica of vintage DOD 250 and MXR Distortion+.

First question, having never played any of those two, I don't know which one I wanna select (by changing the resistors you get either 250 or distortion+) ...

I'm gonna practice soldering some random resistors onto a pcb board bought at radioshack, then, when I feel experienced, I'm gonna start the kit.

Is there anything I need to do or avoid in order to not ruin this kit ?

I have a 30watts iron and a 3rd hand. some 60/40 rosin core. Plus I've watched Terry Downs DVD about soldering. The only thing, I wasn't able to get flux anywhere, is it absolutely necessary ?

2. tonfarbe

tonfarbe Tele-Holic

Jun 24, 2004
    Berlin, Yer-up

3. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 12, 2005
    Fullerton, CA
    You don't need flux.

With pedals, the biggest issue is overheating components. The small parts are not as robust as pickup soldering, so just tread a little more lightly than you usually would.

4. jmclaren

jmclaren Tele-Holic

Apr 21, 2004
    Southern California
    I recently built my first pedal kit. It's a General Guitar Gadgets Orange Squeezer compressor clone. I agree that you don't really need flux for pedal components if you use 40/60 resin core solder. It really only takes a second or two to heat the connections enough to flow the solder. As AshCaster said, just don't over heat the resistors, caps, opamps, etc. Also, I had the best success using a thinner tip on my soldering iron. Finally, make sure you tin wire leads before soldering them in place. Tinning accelerates solder flow.

5. rocksteady Max

rocksteady Max Tele-Afflicted

First build done !!

Thanks guys for all the information !

I'm just done with my first build : BYOC DOD 250 clone.

I was so surprised when I plugged it in : it worked ! the first time !!

(well the only issue was that the 9v power adapter plug was burned because of a bad mistake ... I'll use the battery or the battery clip from my Power all)

... sounds great by the way :p

6. Yoni

Yoni Friend of Leo's

Jun 10, 2008
    Joliet, not the prison
    awesome. I'll be putting together a tremolo pedal today...It's my first and I'm doing it with a friend who will be teaching me how to solder.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.