Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

sold the Mustang III, bought a GT-100... bad move. :(

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by jbuonacc, Oct 7, 2014.

1. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    yes, I completely understand. I apologize if I sounded combative or harsh, I meant no harm and wish I hadn't said anything :(

2. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    sulaco, FWIW, I think your point was right on target.

3. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    I decided the $ and hassle of a constantly changing pedal board were not for me over a decade ago. I committed to finding an all-in-one solution to use with my tube rig then.
    I tried multiple processors (Line 6, Digitech, and Zoom), used (but didn't love) them.
    While I tried other multi-processors in stores (Roland, Boss, & Vox), the only ones that came home were the ones that clicked in the store. I didn't really like ANY of the Modeling amps except the Vox, but couldn't commit as it was still short of my tube rig with the Digitech effects in front of it, None of them had the picking and playing dynamics.

The sterile-ness you mention on the GT, I felt with just about everything I tried, (though individual effects without amp modeling were very good on the Digitech, and passable on the POD). I just figured I'd be forever with a processor with my tube rig to get that feel & response I wanted.

Then the Mustang III came out... I did not expect half of what it delivers.
    EVERTHING you said about playing response is what hooked me, and while I might look or play something else to try, it is the benchmark for an all-in-one solution. All this and the best UI of any processor to date.

If you're a metal player, you probably aren't going to find your sound (though I made a couple Metallica and Judas Priest presets that were pretty darn good), in that case, add something, but don't replace the Mustang until something else can do most of what you like about it.

BTW, I do prefer the Whammy effect of the Digitech over the Fender version with the EXP 1, so when I need that, I use the RP255 into the Mustang, but other than that, the Digitech only gets used for the drum machine.

4. jbuonacc

jbuonacc TDPRI Member

May 11, 2014
    NY, USA
    while i could agree that the suggestion of a tube amp and pedals might be out of place, sometimes it's good to step back and look at what really matters - a sound/feel that you're happy with and can always count on. i love having all the options available that the modelling amps, etc offer but could be perfectly happy with a nice amp and a few fx. with all the options available though (both vintage and new), i'd go nuts. i'm tired of chasing my tail.

i was really happy with the sound that i got from the Mustang (for the most part), i think with the GT-100 i was hoping that it would give me a similar sound with all the added functionality.

well, i certainly thank you for trying! i've spent some more time with it, but i think we're finished. got a return authorization from the retailer this afternoon, i'll be sending it back.

now this is something. you're right, the headphone output has a lot to do with what i've been experiencing. i tried some other routings using the main outs and hooking the headphones into a couple other spots in the chain. i have to say that it did make quite a difference in the 'feel' between hitting the strings and what i was hearing. sad to say, there must be more to it than that. after going through it some more after straightening this out, i realized that the the whole time i was spending time with it over the weekend i never really had much of any "wow!' sensation that i had when using the Mustang (at least for what i'm looking for).

5. 9fingers

9fingers Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2012
    WV
    I sold my Gt-8, an HD 500, and an AxeFx Standard when I got my Mustang III. I was forever tweaking and never quite getting "there".
    I have more limited effects chains to be sure with the Mustang, but I can get what I really need. The main thing is, I can get great sounds with "the feel" in a few minutes with the Mustang and then spend my time playing instead of endlessly tweaking.
    (I also have a nice collection of tube amps sitting unused.)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014

6. Jeff Cohen

Jeff Cohen TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Yours is a very valid comment, but I can tell you as an older person who still gigs...the Fender Mustang III is a real blessing. I can't haul my old tube amps up from the basement because of the weight, but the Mustang III is light weight, sounds great and is just so easy to gig with. For what it costs, it's worth having around even if you're an old tube guy.

Vespa_One likes this.

7. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Agree. however...

Can you imagine one of us Mustang owners going over to the ...warm bottle....tube only forum.....or whatever it's called forum and telling
    the tube only lovers to take a step up and start using a Mustang instead of what they've already got that have those glowing things hanging upside down?

I don't think they'd be real friendly about that suggestion.....

I think they'd be stoning us with tubes :eek:

8. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Amen to that !

9. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY

Mustang Floor will probably do exactly what you want.

10. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    But only Chinese tubes, because the Russian and NOS USA tubes are too valuable.

11. poiureza

poiureza Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2012
    Belgium
    OP, I think you came to the same conclusion as I did : I absolutely love the flexibility of the GT's (I've had a couple) and clean and high gain sounds.
    But it simply doesn't do a convincing bluesy breakup (neither did any Line6 to my ears btw - yeah I've had a few too).

No experience with any Mustangs but I do know that the VoX Tonelab SE did a very good job at producing a convincing blues tone (yeah I've had that one too :D)

12. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I own a first generation mustang and became bored and disappointed with it not long after bringing it home. Since then I've pretty much poopooed the idea of modeling amps and built up a collection of 10 low power tube amps and an unknown number of pedals. I haven't personally demoed any modeling amps since but have been in the shop while others have and am really impressed by what I've heard of the newest generation. So much so that I've began to research the current offerings. It's likely that I'm going to begin pruning back my amp & pedal collections. I'll keep a few tube amps for sure and maybe a dozen or so pedals but I think modeling amps have finally arrived.

13. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA
    He's talking about the Fender Mustang GT 100 combo amp, not the BOS GT-100 multi-effects pedal.

dobrojoe likes this.

14. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2016
    Oshkosh, B'gosh
    Umm, no he's not. This thread is from 2014. The OP's second sentence mentions the Boss A/D converters.

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    :p

@Artunes when's the EAA fly-in this year?

16. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2016
    Oshkosh, B'gosh
    The last week of July...24th to the 30th. Are you an aviation fan? We try to catch one airshow every year, but that's about it. We live less than a mile from the airport, and by the end of the week we're so sick of airplanes flying constantly over our house.

17. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Nice try, @jwoertz. Resurrecting zombies now.

Helps to read the posts.

18. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    @Artunes, really I was wondering so I could plan a trip to the aviation museum well away from the time of the fly-in:)

My sons and I haven't been in a few years now, and we're about due

19. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA
    You're right, my eyes must have been playing tricks on me. Sorry about that!

20. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA
    You are absolutely right. My bad, sorry about that!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.