Sol Philcox Instructional DVD is out!!!

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Spidercaster, Jun 25, 2009.

1. mody

mody TDPRI Member

I agree the site looks like it's selling snake oil on the surface, but I assure you it's the real deal, worth every bit you're paying.

Chicken pickin is hard, though Sol does make is as easy as possible to get on the band wagon. You're not expected to learn every thing in one pass, a lot of the scary stuff is him demonstrating early concepts in context for you to revisit later as you progress. The tabs a good guide to keep you on the right path for the first pass, learn to play what's been tabbed out first and ignore the rest till the next pass.

Enjoy the ride, fabulous stuff in there, contrary to what that site has as samples, he's a good teacher. The samples are some of the context demos.

2. LennyEdwards

LennyEdwards Tele-Meister

There is a constant reminder to learn the techniques he's going through rather than trying to strictly copy what's going on, he's trying to get you to find 'the feel' rather than making it a definitive 'lesson'.

The website is rather poor, I work in the realm of IT security for a massive financial place and I was pretty sceptical about the site, but it was genuine and the DVD's did arrive (case broken).

If I were Claude, I would lower the amount of email conent sent to subscribers and improve the functionalities and 'jazz factor' of the websites to encourage people, had my credit card not been about to expire anyway I would have passde up the chance to take the DVD's due to the site.

But the discs are good, the lad can play like a man possessed and if I learn even half a dozen good licks & tricks off him it would equate to a better deal than 3 hours with a guitar teacher. I'm coming to country techniques from a UK indie type background so I use them as a tool to keep me from drifting back to my old style and techniques, reinforcement learning I suppose...

but the DVD's are pretty cool, I've seen other vids of this type which I enjoyed a helluva lot less.

3. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hey, anybody know how to use the powertab deal. I downloaded powertab but it won't open the files. I'm sure it's user error. Am I missing something.

4. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Never Mind. I figured it out. User error. Had the Librarian and not the editor software. A little confusing but I gots it now! DVD's in the mail. Hey, Claude even had a customer service rep call yesterday to thank me for the order. It's not easy marketing on the internet within a budget. But I would say he is doing ok and whatever the business model may be he has some decent product. Although the e-mail barrage is annoying. I agree with that.

5. ClaudeJohnson

ClaudeJohnson TDPRI Member

hey folks, Claude here, just checking in.

We sell hundreds of videos a month, so sometimes things get overwhelming, but
    hopefully our customer service team is taking care of yall....

Will try to check back here too...

If you need help , visit www.guitarcontrolhelp.com

If youre not being helped , make sure to send me a private
    message here so I can make sure you are!

Thanks for all the support.

Claude Johnson

Also you can check out our other sites - see the links
    on www.claudejohnson.com

6. Teleydelic

Teleydelic TDPRI Member

so claude, any news on the release of the new set..?? i'm super pumped for it

7. Telemaster_81

Telemaster_81 TDPRI Member

i messaged him and emailed him about 3 weeks ago on this, if his response time is a reflection upon his customer service then i wont be buying.
    and the funny thing is, id really like to have the set, but im not going to buy something thats going to take a month to get here and then another month to get the tabs in pdf format..
    i guess ill get my answers one day.. its a shame the kid cant sell his own DVDs, what ever happened to being able to just buy something and getting what you paid for?

8. ADinNYC

ADinNYC Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Shameless plug...

If I may make a shameless plug for my classified ad here on TDPRI, I'm selling my entire instructional DVD collection which includes Sol's 6 DVDs.

Here's the posting:

Includes Sol Philcox DVDs! These alone cost $200 so if you've been considering getting those this is like getting 9 other videos along with them for free. :)

These videos are all in great shape. Except for the Stevie Ray Vaughan they are mostly in the "chicken pickin' style of country guitar playing.

Here's what included and what the retail price of each is.

Sol Philcox - Wicken Chicken Pickin Chops and 101 Licks (6 DVDs) - $197

Albert Lee - Highlights - $15.00

Johnny Hiland - Chicken Picken - $23.00

Jerry Donohue - Country Tech - $27.00

Greg Koch - Guitar Gristle - $18.00

Redd Volkaert - Tele Twang - $23.00

Scotty Anderson - Red Hot Guitar - $23.00

Ladd Smith - Monster Nashville Guitar - $25.00

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Signature Licks - $20.00

Brent Mason - Nashville Chops and Western Swing - $23.00

This is $400 worth of videos for a price of $275

The Sol Philcox and Ladd Smith required a download of additional materials (tab, powertab program) when I purchased them. I'll certainly send those to you once the transaction is complete.

Thanks for looking!

9. morphyman

morphyman NEW MEMBER!

Contacting Claude/Scratched DVDs

Note this situation has not changed since Lucky Seven posted a couple of months ago. Monday (6/14) and today I tried to contact Claude via this page concerning "Wicked Chicken Pickin' Chops" DVDs which arrived badly scratched and unplayable for second half. (Third DVD is playable throughout and looks like just what I was interested in learning.) Finally successfully sent a message via the contact at the bottom of the Sol Chops page. Awaiting a reply.
    On related note, if Claude will not stand behind product, does anyone have experience with a DVD repair process that has a good chance of working?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.