Sol Philcox Instructional DVD is out!!!

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Spidercaster, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Spidercaster

Spidercaster Tele-Afflicted

No affiliation with the guys who made this, just in case that matters -

new link coming - please check back.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  2. DblStop

DblStop Tele-Holic

Cool Spidercaster,Sol has an AWESOME future ahead of him what a great player and a fine young man he is.Keep us informed about the DVD that shoukld be KILLER.Go get em' SOL !!!!You rule my friend.Mark Moree aka DblStop

3. DblStop

DblStop Tele-Holic

A bump for my buddy Sol,this cat sure can pick!!Mark Moree aka DblStop

4. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I was curious about this, but the guy who hawks this stuff turns me off with his pitch. "No scales to learn! No hard work! All it takes is an opposable thumb and you can play like the pros! ..." The kid can pick, but has anyone bought this set yet?

5. Spidercaster

I haven't bought it yet, but Sol attempted to teach me how to do some of his "chicken picken" stuff when he was here visiting me last summer.

I can attest to the fact that he is a great teacher, but the "No hard work!" bit is off. It can be learned, but it does take work, and a lot of practice. Like anything, some players will pick it up in two seconds, and others will take 2 weeks, but I have no doubts that it can be learned.

6. MTguitar

MTguitar Tele-Meister

Just read this off his myspace:

"He worked all spring illegally in a garden centre to buy a Korean-made Fender Stratocaster and began recording demo tracks in his bedroom on stolen software"

I wonder if he'll be upset when someone burns a copy of his DVD?

7. Spidercaster

The short answer is "No".

8. vikki

vikki Tele-Meister

Anyone purchased this yet, if so what do you think? I must say the write up is real corny but is there some good learning country stuff in there, its not really on the cheap side either, anywhere else you can buy this from?
    Vikki:lol:

9. empty

empty TDPRI Member

Anyone get it yet? Anyone? Bueller?

10. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

Looks like everything but chord-melody jazz in there. That leaves some room for the next DVD. :)

11. Ormond

Ormond Tele-Afflicted

I have both the lesson series and the 101 Licks.
    Depending on what level you are at you will get a different level of usage. For the beginner I would strongly recommend it because many of the essential licks are there. The intermediate player will zap through that stuff. It is still a very good series for the intermediate player.
    It is not quite so jam packed for the advanced player...or someone who has learned the basic licks and learned how to string them together. But much of what is on the set is stuff that can be put together thus extending a players "longer run" stuff.
    The bends, however, are pretty advanced. In fact, one or two licks requires bending three strings at once - with one bend going in the opposite direction of the other two.

He has a habit of just "taking off" after a riff has been shown and doing some stuff that you wish had been put down in the tab. And he plays it so fast it is hard to slow down to analyze it. Whoever wrote the tab for the series could have extended some of the tab sections. It would have made things less frustrating.

He does touch on the jazz flavored stuff a little - something I think is important if a player wants to sound more sophisticated. He does about four of those runs and they sound very cool on their own but I have yet been able to find any chord(s) that can be played over them that makes the run sound like it might not be falling apart. They start in A and go to D but, nah, does not quite work. I moved two of the runs up two frets on the neck and they actually fit better. So if Sol does another series of DVD's (and I hope he does) it would be good to put a backing track behind some of the less obvious changes to show where the passages could be used. Not necessary for the easy blues licks or Cowboy chord licks.

I have all the Doug 7 stuff too - by comparison I like what Sol does because it is not as disjointed. There are acutally sections that stand on their own for a style or technique - for example, there is a section on neck navigation, probably the most useful part of the entire Series and all the runs in the section are linked to the subject. It just feels like there was a little more thought and planning in the Sol series.
    Finally, there is so much material that the cost of the DVD's is reasonable. Even a bargain. That saying, there is so much of it that it can be overwhelming to find a place to start. I went through both series and graded each section as to whether I wanted to learn it or not and at what priority. I then turned the DVD's into Quictkime files so I could easily go to where I needed without having to deal with 6 DVD's. This way I can follow my notes, follow the tab and get in and out of the video section without too much computer hassle.
    Fulfillment on the order was excellent. I had the DVD's three days after ordering.

I highly recommend the DVD's. But be be prepared for some frustration when you see things played really quick that could have been tabbed out as a bonus.
    If you are a beginner I'd say you have a solid year of work with daily practice to nail the series and play to speed.

12. mody

mody TDPRI Member

Nice review Ormond,
    Thanks, I'm waiting on my shipment in transit to India.
    Sol's a boy wonder!

13. empty

empty TDPRI Member

That's exactly the kind of review I was looking for...thanks, Ormond for the time and thought.

14. mannyg

mannyg Tele-Meister

Why would you buy Sol's DVD when you can buy his teachers Brent Mason?
    The source himself.

15. GOBIGRED

GOBIGRED TDPRI Member

Ormond,

Thanks for the review. I am really wanting to get these DVD's. Do you think the 101 licks is worth it? I am most interested in learning how to put runs together and navigate up and down the neck. I have Doug's dvd's and would am looking for something that doesn't jump around as much as you suggested. Thanks.

16. Ormond

Ormond Tele-Afflicted

Big Red - tough to answer your question without know what level of playing you are at. For beginner i would definitely start with the Lessons DVD. the 101 is a little more scattered like the Doug 7 stuff. Though Sol does group thing there too. The 101 covers everything from the Bluegass open stuff (usually in G) to some Albert Lee type stuff and some fusion'y hybrid jazz things - and at the end closes with some blues and rock stuff. I would recommend 101 Licks for for someone that already has a pretty decent foundation in Chicken' Picken stock stuff.
    If you do not have a grasp of how to play double stops in a series up and down the neck and tie single note runs in the Lessons would be a better start. The double stop stuff is covered in 101 but is not presented in the length it is in Lessons.

If you are an intermediate or advanced player you may only feel about 50% or less of the material is useful...but the value of the 6 DVD is that there is a large volume of content, so even if only a third of the material was interesting to you there would still be enough to justify the purchase.

One thing I will semi-correct about my first review is about the tabbing - many of the extended runs that come after the tab has ended is an extension or compilation of a series of the tabs. So it is basically available but until you have learned all the runs you might not make the connection.

I MUST MENTION - the Tab is not included with the DVD's. It is immediately available for download. The format is in TabView - which is a dynamic format that will play the tab notes back for you but it is a pay/subscription service. It is not expensive and there is 10 day or two week free trial period so you could do a screen capture of the tab pages if do not want to buy the software after the trial period ends.

As far as the B. Mason stuff available, I have some and it is good. But I really wanted to see what Sol is all about and i was not disappointed. The B. Mason lesson I want is the one he did for PG Music on the Band In A Box platfom. But it is PC only compatible and not in Mac format...I could run Windows on my Intel Mac but I really do not want to.

And finally, the first edition of these things will be Collectors items someday.
    Sol has quite a future in the music business and I don't think anyone knows where, or how far, his journey will take him. I think he will be charting some new territory. He will master the Chiken' Picken' genre, but he is clearly going to move beyond it too.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  17. blue water girl

blue water girl Tele-Afflicted

It is inevitable that Brent has taught Sol some things since he has come to the United States, BUT Sol had enough raw talent of his own to make Brent want to help him come to the US and help him with his career - not TEACH him. Sol plays like Sol, Brent plays like Brent. They are not the same at all. They both have very distinct styles of their own.

Something else cool about Sol's dvds is that he personally tabbed them himself. Brent has never tabbed anything in his life and from what I understand, most Brent Mason tabs can't be counted on to be accurate.

By the way- Sol is doing great. He is on tour with Jake Owen right now as his lead guitarist. He has only been home about 5-6 days in Sept. and will only be home a few days in Oct.

18. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

One thing that makes these lessons unique is that all of this is still new to him as well.

After 5 more years of playing, Sol will lose the perspective he has now while all of this is still relatively new to him.

Some of the early Johnny Hiland stuff has the same quality.

19. Freight Twang

Freight Twang Tele-Meister

Think about it. ..... Brent invited Sol to stay in the states, it is most obvious...... Brent is learning from Sol. What better way to try to stay on top in Nashville music scene by be friending a young man who will soon rule the Nashville skyline. If you buy Sol DVD, you will be learning the same licks that Brent is at home right now learning himself. Come on people, there is a conspiracy brewing. :lol

20. Ormond

Ormond Tele-Afflicted

Freight - funny. but young people do come at the guitar from a different place these days. My nephew has only been playing a year. When I first saw him with the guitar I was amazed. He was just ripping all over the neck with blazing fast runs, arpeggios, sweeps, pinched harmonics - I mean in zero time he has practically mastered the Avenged Sevenfold catalog.
    I was playing something and asked him to hit a couple of backing chords. I told him to play an E chord. He gave me a blank look and said he did not know how to do that. He said that he did not know anybody that play notes "up at the top of the guitar." He struggled to get his fingers to "bunch up" like that. It was like watching a 9 year take a second guitar lesson. He quickly tired of it and went back to shredding.
    I cannot play the the things he was playing. He could not follow me if I were playing "Puff the Magic Dragon."
    Young people are growing up learning approaches to guitar we did not. Their LEARNING is a product of the environment they grew up in..I would not expect Brent and Sol to sound the same at all.
    This is a picture of a West Virginia boy playing a real "E" on my D28 - where he comes from those Cowboy chords are still in vogue.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.